Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Rubyx OS (Ruby oriented linux distro)

[ANN] Rubyx OS (Ruby oriented linux distro)

Andrew Walrond

I am pleased to announce the first public release of Rubyx, codename
'ItWorksForMe'.

Rubyx is a modern linux distro created entirely from source by a small script
written in the ruby language. The same script handles all subsequent package
management. Amongst many other interesting features, Rubyx also has a
completely new init system written in ruby.

Rubyx supports the latest kernels, xfree86 Kde and gnome. I type this email in
Kmail on my Rubyx powered ibm thinkpad, and Rubyx now powers all my
production servers, hence 'ItWorksForMe'.

The documentation should (at last) be sufficient for anybody to at least
install and use the basic OS. Oh, and I finally got round to adding the
sodipodi package and was able to view the file Nobu Nokada sent me ages ago,
so Rubyx now has a Logo. (Thanks Nobu)

If you are interested if reading more about Rubyx, pop over to

www.rubyx.org

and be sure to join the mailing list!

Thanks for your time,

Andrew Walrond

Phil Tomson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Andrew Walrond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I am pleased to announce the first public release of Rubyx, codename
>'ItWorksForMe'.
>
>Rubyx is a modern linux distro created entirely from source by a small script
>written in the ruby language. The same script handles all subsequent package
>management. Amongst many other interesting features, Rubyx also has a
>completely new init system written in ruby.
>
>Rubyx supports the latest kernels, xfree86 Kde and gnome. I type this email in
>Kmail on my Rubyx powered ibm thinkpad, and Rubyx now powers all my
>production servers, hence 'ItWorksForMe'.
>
>The documentation should (at last) be sufficient for anybody to at least
>install and use the basic OS. Oh, and I finally got round to adding the
>sodipodi package and was able to view the file Nobu Nokada sent me ages ago,
>so Rubyx now has a Logo. (Thanks Nobu)
>
>If you are interested if reading more about Rubyx, pop over to
>
> www.rubyx.org
>
>and be sure to join the mailing list!

Very cool.

Have you considered sending an announcement to http://distrowatch.org ?

Phil

Andrew Walrond

On Tuesday 02 Mar 2004 07:09, Phil Tomson wrote:

> Have you considered sending an announcement to http://distrowatch.org ?

I just have. Thanks for the tip!

Andrew

gabriele renzi

il Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:23:47 +0900, Andrew Walrond <(E-Mail Removed)>
ha scritto::

>I am pleased to announce the first public release of Rubyx, codename
>'ItWorksForMe'.

does this mean we can tell about it to our freinds and relatives (as
in slashdot and osnews and..) ?

Andrew Walrond

On Tuesday 02 Mar 2004 10:49, gabriele renzi wrote:
> il Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:23:47 +0900, Andrew Walrond <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> ha scritto::
> >I am pleased to announce the first public release of Rubyx, codename
> >'ItWorksForMe'.

> does this mean we can tell about it to our freinds and relatives (as
> in slashdot and osnews and..) ?

Absolutely

Andrew Walrond

Question for HTML experts:

What do I need to put in the HTML of the Rubyx homepage to get a little icon
to appear in browsers, bookmarks etc? I can't find any reference to it in my
HTML book...

Andrew

messju mohr

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:59:47PM +0900, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> Question for HTML experts:
>
> What do I need to put in the HTML of the Rubyx homepage to get a little icon
> to appear in browsers, bookmarks etc? I can't find any reference to it in my
> HTML book...

you need a favicon.ico. see for example here
http://www.mavetju.org/unix/favicon.php for explanation.

greetings
messju

> Andrew

Dick Davies

Andrew Walrond wrote:

> Question for HTML experts:
>
> What do I need to put in the HTML of the Rubyx homepage to get a little icon
> to appear in browsers, bookmarks etc? I can't find any reference to it in my
> HTML book...
>
> Andrew

Just create an image called /favicon.ico at the top of your site.

http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Design/Images/Favicon/

Benny

Andrew Walrond wrote:

> I am pleased to announce the first public release of Rubyx, codename
> 'ItWorksForMe'.
>
> Rubyx is a modern linux distro created entirely from source by a small
> script written in the ruby language. The same script handles all
> subsequent package management. Amongst many other interesting features,
> Rubyx also has a completely new init system written in ruby.

damned! I had the same idea. but I would choose FreeBSD as underlying
system. a ports-tool (portupgrade) already is in ruby.

what about changing all the sys-config-files to YAML-format? any plans to
replace the bash with a ruby-command-shell?

good look!

benny

Andrew Walrond

On Tuesday 02 Mar 2004 22:34, Benny wrote:

> damned! I had the same idea. but I would choose FreeBSD as underlying
> system. a ports-tool (portupgrade) already is in ruby.

Well, Linux is better supported (by hackers) nowadays, and has better arch
support. I'm got amd64 support for Rubyx as a (very) short term goal.

> what about changing all the sys-config-files to YAML-format? any plans to
> replace the bash with a ruby-command-shell?

Rubyx already uses YAML internally, but none of the system config files is
really big enough to bother converting.

> good look!

Thanks! I've submitted a short piece about Rubyx to Slashdot, entitled "Rubyx
OS - a testament to the power of ruby?". I hope they post it