Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Building static ruby.exe on Win32

Building static ruby.exe on Win32

Phil Tomson

I'm trying to build my own statically linked ruby.exe using VC++. The
Makefile.sub builds a dynamically linked ruby.exe that depends on
msvcrt-ruby18.dll. I tried modifying the Makefile.sub to link to the
static library msvcrt-ruby18-static.lib, but I still end up with what
seems to be a dynamically linked ruby.exe (since it's only 4608 bytes,
it _has_ to be dynamically linked).

Does anyone know the recipe ?

Phil

Shashank Date

"Phil Tomson" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> I'm trying to build my own statically linked ruby.exe using VC++.

<snip>

> Does anyone know the recipe ?

A naive suggestion: will creating a simple "Win32 Console Application"
project and then adding all the required C files one by one as needed
do the job ?

Admittedly a very tedious process, considering that there are about
175 files. But if push comes to shove!

Or am I completely off ?
-- shanko

daz

"Phil Tomson" wrote:
> I'm trying to build my own statically linked ruby.exe using VC++. The
> Makefile.sub builds a dynamically linked ruby.exe that depends on
> msvcrt-ruby18.dll. I tried modifying the Makefile.sub to link to the
> static library msvcrt-ruby18-static.lib, but I still end up with what
> seems to be a dynamically linked ruby.exe (since it's only 4608 bytes,
> it _has_ to be dynamically linked).
>
> Does anyone know the recipe ?

Hi Phil,

Probably waay too late to be useful to _you, but miniruby.exe is
an example of what you're looking for. It's built along with
everything else by Makefile.sub.

daz