Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > A good way to do a book?

A good way to do a book?

Bob

http://www.sourcebeat.com/index.jsp

It would be great to get a "Ruby Live" book going. I like the idea of
having a book in PDF format that gets updated continually. It would be
an ever evolving book on the goodness of Ruby.

Robert Klemme

"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> http://www.sourcebeat.com/index.jsp
>
> It would be great to get a "Ruby Live" book going. I like the idea of
> having a book in PDF format that gets updated continually. It would be
> an ever evolving book on the goodness of Ruby.

.... or goddess.

Pun is fun!

robert

Stephan Kämper

Bob wrote:
> http://www.sourcebeat.com/index.jsp
>
> It would be great to get a "Ruby Live" book going. I like the idea of
> having a book in PDF format that gets updated continually. It would be
> an ever evolving book on the goodness of Ruby.

As far as I read on that site, it's about $30 per book per year. If I
participated in writing an open source book about Ruby, I'd rather do
that for free (as in free beer [but I would accept being paid for it
.... ]. However there's the pickaxe book already, which is exellent
(both both the English edition right in 2001, and the German edition
when it was 'on sale' at the local book store - and I use the e-dition
quite a lot)

Happy Rubying

Stephan

Robert

Stephan wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
>> http://www.sourcebeat.com/index.jsp
>>
>> It would be great to get a "Ruby Live" book going. I like the idea of
>> having a book in PDF format that gets updated continually. It would be
>> an ever evolving book on the goodness of Ruby.

> As far as I read on that site, it's about $30 per book per year. If I
> participated in writing an open source book about Ruby, I'd rather do
> that for free (as in free beer [but I would accept being paid for it
> ... ]. However there's the pickaxe book already, which is exellent
> (both both the English edition right in 2001, and the German edition
> when it was 'on sale' at the local book store - and I use the e-dition
> quite a lot)
>
> Happy Rubying
>
> Stephan

They are working out subscriptions. The initial $30 is for a first purchase.

Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT

Hi!

* Bob:
> http://www.sourcebeat.com/index.jsp
>
> It would be great to get a "Ruby Live" book going. I like the idea
> of having a book in PDF format that gets updated continually. It
> would be an ever evolving book on the goodness of Ruby.

I don't know of an affordable PDF editor. Minimalistic HTML plus CSS?

Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT
--
http://oss.erdfunkstelle.de/ruby/ - German comp.lang.ruby-FAQ
http://rubyforge.org/users/jupp/ - Ruby projects at Rubyforge

Gavin Kistner

On Feb 16, 2004, at 4:38 PM, Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT wrote:
> I don't know of an affordable PDF editor. Minimalistic HTML plus CSS?

That would make good sense to me.

(FWIW, those who have MacOS X already have PDF 'print' capabilities
from any application, so PDFs could be created from, say, HTML+CSS)

Guillaume Marcais

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 19:00, Gavin Kistner wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2004, at 4:38 PM, Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT wrote:
> > I don't know of an affordable PDF editor. Minimalistic HTML plus CSS?

> That would make good sense to me.
>
> (FWIW, those who have MacOS X already have PDF 'print' capabilities
> from any application, so PDFs could be created from, say, HTML+CSS)

So does KDE directly from the print dialog.Or any un*x box with the
ps2pdf command.

Guillaume.

Shu-yu Guo

Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT wrote:

>I don't know of an affordable PDF editor. Minimalistic HTML plus CSS?

So use TeX, who can really afford, or want to buy, stuff like InDesign
(bar piracy) anyways?

--
That's some catch, that Catch-22.
Oh, it's the best there is.

Harry Ohlsen

Shu-yu Guo wrote:

> Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT wrote:
>
>> I don't know of an affordable PDF editor. Minimalistic HTML plus CSS?
>>

> So use TeX, who can really afford, or want to buy, stuff like InDesign
> (bar piracy) anyways?

Or, if you prefer to work at a slightly higher level, LaTeX.

Harry O.

James Britt

> I don't know of an affordable PDF editor. Minimalistic HTML plus CSS?

OpenOffice will export to PDF.

Also, there was an attempt at a community-driven Ruby book at
http://www.rubydoc.org/book.

Good writing is time-consuming, and hard to do well. A Ruby book,
unless its something along the lines of a cookbook or "Ruby Hacks,"
should have a consistent author's voice and theme. If it purports to
teach people Ruby, then what is offered in the early chapters should lay
the foundation for more advanced and interesting topics later on.

I've worked on a few Wrox books where 8-to-12 writers were all pitching
in on different topics. While the books were constructed to have a
central theme, they often came off as a collection of magazine articles.

This can be useful, but I don't think we need to think in terms of a
book in order to assemble a collection of tutorials.

James