Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Book Recommendation - ASP.NET (+ADO.NET, with VB)

Book Recommendation - ASP.NET (+ADO.NET, with VB)

Saul

Hi all,

I was hoping to get ISBN or Name of a book to get seriously into ASP.NET
using VB. Here is what I am looking for --

1. Intermediate level. Explain the basic things very quickly, move on to the
more interesting stuff and point me in the right direction if I really wanto
to do something tricky.
2. I may want to read it almost from cover to cover, but I also want it to
be a good reference book.
3. I know ASP, ADO already quite well, and quite a bit of VB.NET. It'll need
to cover ASP.NET, ADO.NET all with VB examples.
4. My main project is likely to revolve around SQL Server 2000, making a
front end application to replace one that is currently partly in
ASP/SQL2000/Crystal and partly in MS Access (95, can you believe it?! But it
still works quite well!).

I know that it's hard to pick a perfect book, and I sometimes spend ages
reading a bit of each of them in bookshops just so I get the right one, but
any real world feedback would be great. I have found some past posts on
books, but these are fairly old now (2002).

Thanks in advance,
Saul

Zenobia

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:43:04 +1000, "Saul"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I was hoping to get ISBN or Name of a book to get seriously into ASP.NET
>using VB. Here is what I am looking for --
>
>1. Intermediate level. Explain the basic things very quickly, move on to the
>more interesting stuff and point me in the right direction if I really wanto
>to do something tricky.
>2. I may want to read it almost from cover to cover, but I also want it to
>be a good reference book.
>3. I know ASP, ADO already quite well, and quite a bit of VB.NET. It'll need
>to cover ASP.NET, ADO.NET all with VB examples.
>4. My main project is likely to revolve around SQL Server 2000, making a
>front end application to replace one that is currently partly in
>ASP/SQL2000/Crystal and partly in MS Access (95, can you believe it?! But it
>still works quite well!).
>
>I know that it's hard to pick a perfect book, and I sometimes spend ages
>reading a bit of each of them in bookshops just so I get the right one, but
>any real world feedback would be great. I have found some past posts on
>books, but these are fairly old now (2002).
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Saul

I have one of those old books they recommended here: "ASP.NET
Unleashed" by Stephen Walther. It's good but long, 1440 pages.
There's a new edition out now, but here's the ISBN anyway:
0672320681. If you get Walther's book you may need a book on
VB.NET as well. MSDN is the most useful reference.