Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Rubyx (linux distro created using ruby) - Bootstrap volunteers required

Rubyx (linux distro created using ruby) - Bootstrap volunteers required

Andrew Walrond

Rubyx is almost ready to go public
The servers are in place, domains acquired, howtos written...

I would like to get some bootstrap testing done first though.

What I need are volunteers who have

1) Broadband or better
2) A machine with a recent Redhat/Mandrake/Debian/Gentoo/Other distro and some
spare Gbs to build a rubyx distro into
3) Some spare cpu cyles for an (overnight?) download and build cycle

Thats it; I don't need you to test the distro itself (although you'd be
welcome to try it), just test whether it will bootstrap itself from your
current distro.

It would take only a few minutes to download the script and start the test
going, so wouldn't take much of your time. Some number of hours later, you
can tell me whether or not it worked, and perhaps email me some logs if it
failed.

If you can help, email me and I'll send you some instructions.

Thanks!

Andrew Walrond

PS
Rubyx is a real simple to install/maintain distro which builds everything from
source using a very simple script written in ruby. It has a ruby based init
system, and supports a growing package library including the very latest
Gnome, Kde, Linux 2.4.x and 2.6.x etc etc.

It was originally developed to run the backend servers of a massive-
multiplayer game (the development of which is my day job) but has somewhat
grown over time to become a viable desktop os.

Dennis Oelkers

Andrew Walrond wrote:
> What I need are volunteers who have
>
> 1) Broadband or better
> 2) A machine with a recent Redhat/Mandrake/Debian/Gentoo/Other distro and some
> spare Gbs to build a rubyx distro into
> 3) Some spare cpu cyles for an (overnight?) download and build cycle

I can offer all of those, and I'd happily volunteer in testing it. Send
some instructions and I'll try

Kind regards,
Dennis Oelkers
--
Dennis Oelkers | Webadministration | Zentraleinrichtung Rechenzentrum
TU-Berlin | EN-Gebaeude, K042 | Telefon: 030-314-25029

Key Fingerprint:
A6 7A B6 90 09 56 E8 32 02 40 6B 27 80 17 00 89 61 E7 CA 6F

Re: [News] Microsoft's Most Used Software is Open Source, Created by Volunteers 7 Computer Support 2 05-01-2006 05:59 PM
article about rubyx (ruby based linux distro) gabriele renzi Ruby 0 10-11-2004 09:26 PM
[ANN] Rubyx OS (Ruby oriented linux distro) Andrew Walrond Ruby 30 03-07-2004 07:18 PM
Rubyx init subsystem Dave Brown Ruby 0 10-25-2003 07:37 PM
[ANN] Rubyx - A first look Andrew Walrond Ruby 1 10-24-2003 04:46 PM

Advertisments