Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > programming languages

programming languages

KONTRA Gergely

Hi!

What about forth?
A ruby interpreter can be done in forth.

But seriously, it should be a cool language.
Gergo
--
+-[ Kontra, Gergely<(E-Mail Removed)> PhD student Room IB113 ]---------+
| http://www.mcl.hu/~kgergely "Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy |

gabriele renzi

il Tue, 27 Jan 2004 05:47:17 +0900, KONTRA Gergely
<(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto::

>Hi!
>
>What about forth?
>A ruby interpreter can be done in forth.

well, IIRC you can do everything with an asm language with just
SUBTRACT_AND_BRANCH_IF_NEGATIVE..

BTW, in some old matz' presentation he said the design of Rite could
follow that of gForth, whatever it is

Lothar Scholz

Hello gabriele,

gr> il Tue, 27 Jan 2004 05:47:17 +0900, KONTRA Gergely
gr> <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto::

>>Hi!
>>
>>What about forth?
>>A ruby interpreter can be done in forth.

gr> well, IIRC you can do everything with an asm language with just
gr> SUBTRACT_AND_BRANCH_IF_NEGATIVE..

No only philosophical questions like calculation of PI can be done
with a Turing machine, not things that need output or input. This is
something you learn immediately when using XSLT which is also turing
complete.

--
Best regards,
Lothar (E-Mail Removed)

gabriele renzi

il Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:25:30 +0900, Lothar Scholz
<(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto::

>gr> well, IIRC you can do everything with an asm language with just
>gr> SUBTRACT_AND_BRANCH_IF_NEGATIVE..
>
>No only philosophical questions like calculation of PI can be done
>with a Turing machine, not things that need output or input. This is
>something you learn immediately when using XSLT which is also turing
>complete.

you can do I/O on a oisc cpu
(http://catb.org/~esr/retro/oisc.shar.gz), you just need to put the
value in a specific address