Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby OS mentioned on /.

Reply
Thread Tools

Ruby OS mentioned on /.

 
 
Phil Tomson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Simon Strandgaard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:18:39 -0800, Phil Tomson wrote:

> http://developers.slashdot.org/devel...id=185&tid=190


I submitted it at osnews, not expecting it to show up at slashdot.
The osnews wave of visitors gave ~22000 hits in one day!

the ROS project is about one month old and still in the planning state.

Feel free to submit text to the wiki.
* do you have ideas for how Ruby should be used in a os?
* which features in your current os do you believe are vital?
* POLS in an operating system, tell your opinion?


http://ros.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?RecentChanges

Thanks for huge interest.. it will be appreciated.

--
Simon Strandgaard








 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul William
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004
/ normally does not have vaporware... are a bunch of ruby (a very high
level language) programmers going learn asm?

No offence intended.


On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 08:21, Phil Tomson wrote:
> http://developers.slashdot.org/devel...id=185&tid=190

--

.''`. Paul William
: :' : Debian admin and user
`. `'`
`- Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing a system



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph Mason
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004
Paul William wrote:

>./ normally does not have vaporware... are a bunch of ruby (a very high
>level language) programmers going learn asm?
>
>No offence intended.
>
>
>On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 08:21, Phil Tomson wrote:
>
>
>>http://developers.slashdot.org/devel...id=185&tid=190
>>
>>


Well, having written a few embedded operating systems, and plenty of
assembler (& C & C++ & Java etc etc) in my time. I use ruby exactly
because it is a very high level language. Perhaps it takes a low lever
programmer to really appreciate it. I doubt I am alone in the ruby
community.

You could cause offense with those kinds of comments. Even if you don't
intend to.

Ralph


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul William
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004
> >
>
> Well, having written a few embedded operating systems, and plenty of
> assembler (& C & C++ & Java etc etc) in my time. I use ruby exactly
> because it is a very high level language.


true. my bad


> programmer to really appreciate it. I doubt I am alone in the ruby
> community.
>
> You could cause offense with those kinds of comments. Even if you don't
> intend to.
>
> Ralph

--

.''`. Paul William
: :' : Debian admin and user
`. `'`
`- Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing a system



 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul William
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004

> You could cause offense with those kinds of comments. Even if you don't
> intend to.


I am truely sorry I caused offence to anybody.

> Ralph

--

.''`. Paul William
: :' : Debian admin and user
`. `'`
`- Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing a system



 
Reply With Quote
 
MikkelFJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2004

"Simon Strandgaard" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:18:39 -0800, Phil Tomson wrote:
>
> >

http://developers.slashdot.org/devel...id=185&tid=190
>
> I submitted it at osnews, not expecting it to show up at slashdot.
> The osnews wave of visitors gave ~22000 hits in one day!
>
> the ROS project is about one month old and still in the planning state.


I justed looked a bit at GnuStep yesterday. Apparently there is an Linux
from Scratch inspired operating system named SimplyGnuStep that is entirely
based around GnuStep for userinterface already from bootstrapping:

http://simplygnustep.com/index.html

http://linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2003101600626RVSW

GnuStep is based around Objective C and is apparently compatible with Cocoa.

It might be worthwhile looking into this with a Ruby centric approach.
SimplyGnuStep isn't particularly mature at this point.


MikkelFJ



 
Reply With Quote
 
John W. Kennedy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2004
Ralph Mason wrote:
> Well, having written a few embedded operating systems, and plenty of
> assembler (& C & C++ & Java etc etc) in my time. I use ruby exactly
> because it is a very high level language. Perhaps it takes a low lever
> programmer to really appreciate it. I doubt I am alone in the ruby
> community.


Same here. I was writing Assembler languages back when they and FORTRAN
were the only languages that really mattered. I've programmed in
FORTRAN, COBOL, ALGOL, PL/I, Pascal, several different BASICs, C, C++,
Ada, REXX, RPG, and PERL, and I've dabbled some in LISP and half a dozen
other languages. I've only been working with Ruby for a couple of
weeks, and I can already see that, where raw CPU speed isn't a problem,
I'm going to be using Ruby a lot.

--
John W. Kennedy
"But now is a new thing which is very old--
that the rich make themselves richer and not poorer,
which is the true Gospel, for the poor's sake."
-- Charles Williams. "Judgement at Chelmsford"

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ruby-based ODT to XHTML mentioned in ooo-announce Joel VanderWerf Ruby 0 01-30-2006 06:05 PM
Ruby,Rails mentioned in Salon article Phil Tomson Ruby 3 08-11-2005 03:59 PM
Ruby mentioned at Microsoft Conference Rob . Ruby 2 03-24-2005 03:12 PM
DRC Report mentioned sometime this month? Dylan Parry HTML 2 10-29-2004 08:03 AM
Ruby mentioned in C/C++ Users Journal Warren Brown Ruby 0 07-14-2004 07:18 PM



Advertisments