Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [SEMI-OT] On The (Non) Value of Programming Language Research

[SEMI-OT] On The (Non) Value of Programming Language Research

jbritt@ruby-doc.org

There have been periodic requests for a formal specification of the Ruby
language. As it is, the C code itself is the most complete spec.

Erik Meijer [0] has an interesting entry on his web log [1] about why
smart language designers do not write formal specifications.

James Britt

[0] http://research.microsoft.com/~emeijer/
[1]
http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/emeijer/P...6-e857910940f3

Nathan Weston

When people asked for a spec of Ruby, I always thought they meant
something like the Java language spec
(http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/s.../jTOC.doc.html).

In the article, OTOH, when he says "formal" he means something along
the line of an operational/denotational semantics (which for the most
part is comprehensible only to professional PL researchers).

Or maybe I'm wrong, and everyone's clamoring for an operational
semantics of Ruby...

Nathan

"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> There have been periodic requests for a formal specification of the Ruby
> language. As it is, the C code itself is the most complete spec.
>
> Erik Meijer [0] has an interesting entry on his web log [1] about why
> smart language designers do not write formal specifications.
>

> James Britt
>

> [0] http://research.microsoft.com/~emeijer/
> [1]
> http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/emeijer/P...6-e857910940f3

Microsoft User Research is looking for C++ devs in the Puget Soundarea using Visual Studio 2012 for an upcoming research study. Gina- Microsoft C++ 3 09-09-2012 06:08 AM
Sorry for interrupt,because my mother language is not English,it maybe a little confused to read the c programming language. Zhang Yuan C Programming 6 06-14-2012 04:35 AM
Can Your Programming Language Do This? Joel on functional programming and briefly on anonymous functions! Casey Hawthorne Python 4 08-04-2006 05:23 AM
A language-agnostic language Ed Java 24 03-27-2006 08:19 PM
Research on open source programming bounties Mark Chen Firefox 0 03-24-2005 04:33 AM

Advertisments