Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > multithreading with an external library

multithreading with an external library

David Garamond

I plan to use Ruby/DL with Firebird 1.5's "embedded server" DLL on
win32. The goal is to provide an FB database server which can accept
connections & commands (written in YAML) from other Ruby/Python/Perl
programs.

However, the embedded FB supports multiple connections with multiple
threads. Since Ruby doesn't have "real" threads yet, can it be done with
Ruby?

If not, I'm gonna have to turn to Python, as it does OS threads and
already has an excellent Python binding (kinterbasdb).

--
dave

Paul Brannan

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:37:39PM +0900, David Garamond wrote:
> However, the embedded FB supports multiple connections with multiple
> threads. Since Ruby doesn't have "real" threads yet, can it be done with
> Ruby?

One way to solve this is to have a layer that transfers messages to and
from your threaded library and Ruby. This generally involves a
thread-safe queue when sending messages to Ruby, and picking the right
thread to send a message to when sending messages from Ruby. There are
already some libraries out there that do this, but I can't remember
which ones.

Paul

Multithreading and compatibility library (libconfig) Muffinman C Programming 1 01-23-2013 01:31 PM
Create references to external scipt files from within an external script file Mellow Crow Javascript 6 11-04-2005 01:16 PM
Multithreading library Brzezi C++ 2 10-20-2004 11:22 AM
unresolved external symbol/using an external dll Scott Allen C++ 8 05-02-2004 06:11 PM
Multithreading Boris Condarco ASP .Net 5 06-30-2003 01:02 PM

Advertisments