Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Hotkey (or similar) to kill animations

Hotkey (or similar) to kill animations

Hiram R. Shadrasky

One of the nice things about the 4.x versions of Netscape was the
fact that you could hit the ESC key to kill animations (like the
ultra-annoying banner ads that involve using a mouse click to hit
a target) and BLINKing text. This feature disappeared in later
versions.

I know how to kill ALL animations (or restrict them to a single
cycle) under Mozilla 1.4, but that isn't really what I want. I'd
like something more like the old capability.

Any chance this is available, but undocumented? Or some other way
to do it?

Thanks!

ho alexandre

Hiram R. Shadrasky wrote:
> Any chance this is available, but undocumented? Or some other way
> to do it?

for GIF images, you can tune that in the preferences window.
For FLASH animations, there is an extension that blocks all Flash
animations unless you click on them. Check http://www.mozdev.org/ .

--
XandreX
/I'm that kind of people your parents warned you about/

Leonidas Jones

Hiram R. Shadrasky wrote:

> One of the nice things about the 4.x versions of Netscape was the
> fact that you could hit the ESC key to kill animations (like the
> ultra-annoying banner ads that involve using a mouse click to hit
> a target) and BLINKing text. This feature disappeared in later
> versions.
>
> I know how to kill ALL animations (or restrict them to a single
> cycle) under Mozilla 1.4, but that isn't really what I want. I'd
> like something more like the old capability.
>
> Any chance this is available, but undocumented? Or some other way
> to do it?
>
> Thanks!

Edit>>Preferences>>Privacy and Security>>Images>>Animated images hould loop

I select once, just so I can see an animated gif is there. Then it
stops bothering me. You can also set it to Never.

If that is not what you are looking for, install the Nuke image
extension. You right click on the annoying image, and select Remove
this Image from the context menu. Poof, its gone. Of course, if you
reload the page, you will have to nuke the image again.

http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/

At the same site, you can install the Flash Click to View extension.
All flash images will be wiped out, replaces by a white box on which you
can click if you want to see it, for example when some web designer gets
the misguided idea that flash nav menus are a good idea. Its one of
my must have extensions.

Lee

Hiram R. Shadrasky

Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ZwKcb.158582$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> Edit>>Preferences>>Privacy and Security>>Images>>Animated images hould loop
>
> I select once, just so I can see an animated gif is there. Then it
> stops bothering me. You can also set it to Never.

Doesn't work.

There's a particularly annoying banner ad at www.unitedmedia.com
featuring a face moving left and right in front of a flashing blue
background -- the user is supposed to click on the face to "pin" a
moustache on it. With looping set to once, the moustache has
disappeared but the remainder stays -- and the most annoying thing
about it is the flashing.

God, but this ticks me off.

> If that is not what you are looking for, install the Nuke image
> extension.

Thanks, I'll try that. I'll also give Mozilla some feedback
-- maybe others are asking for the ESC capability to be brought
back.

> At the same site, you can install the Flash Click to View extension.

Bonus! Thanks again.