Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > TB 0.2 - Not remember passwords

TB 0.2 - Not remember passwords

Axl

It seems like at least once per day if not more, I have to re-type my
password into TB, even though I've checked for it to be remembered.
Anyone else having this problem? At first I assumed it was a timeout
issue, but its happening among 2 ISPs over a course of a few days now.

Thanks.

Luna

Axl schreef:

> It seems like at least once per day if not more, I have to re-type my
> password into TB, even though I've checked for it to be remembered.
> Anyone else having this problem? At first I assumed it was a timeout
> issue, but its happening among 2 ISPs over a course of a few days now.

Yup, same problem here (for news that is). Since I don't post to
newsgroups regularly, I uncheck 'always request authentication when
connecting to this server' (if I remember this correctly, I use the
Dutch version of TB now) in the Server Settings for News, and check it
when I want to post something. Hope this gets fixed in a future version.

Luna

Oskar Wild

yes, same problem here - and it doesn't interprete paths when trying
to define an alternate path for the signup.txt password file via
user_prefs(...).

Ossi

Luna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> It seems like at least once per day if not more, I have to re-type my
>> password into TB, even though I've checked for it to be remembered.

[..]

Leonidas Jones

Oskar Wild wrote:

> yes, same problem here - and it doesn't interprete paths when trying
> to define an alternate path for the signup.txt password file via
> user_prefs(...).
>

> Ossi
>

> Luna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>It seems like at least once per day if not more, I have to re-type my
>>>password into TB, even though I've checked for it to be remembered.

> [..]

On a secure server, TB needs to be trained to access the newsgroups fom
many different paths. Just keep adding the username password
combination and ask Password Manager to remember it everytime. After a
while TB will stop asking you unless you subscribe to a new group.

Its a bug, and kind of annoying, but it will go away if you wait with
patience.

Lee

gmccx

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Oskar Wild wrote:
>
> > yes, same problem here - and it doesn't interprete paths when trying
> > to define an alternate path for the signup.txt password file via
> > user_prefs(...).
> >

> > Ossi

> > [..]

> On a secure server, TB needs to be trained to access the newsgroups fom
> many different paths. Just keep adding the username password
> combination and ask Password Manager to remember it everytime. After a
> while TB will stop asking you unless you subscribe to a new group.
>
> Its a bug, and kind of annoying, but it will go away if you wait with
> patience.
>
> Lee

No, it won't... or I just got tired to re-entering my UID/PW every few
minutes for about a week. I finally gave up and went back to NS 4.79
for news. It works fine but does require the logon once at the start of
a session (on Giganews) and has the unfortunate side effect of opening
up the 4.79 browser on newsgroup posted links, which is why I wanted to
use Moz for reading in the first place.

This feature has been broken for years in Moz and I don't really expect
to be fixed anytime soon, if ever.

--

George
http://people.delphiforums.com/gmcc

Leonidas Jones

gmccx wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>>Oskar Wild wrote:
>>

>>>yes, same problem here - and it doesn't interprete paths when trying
>>>to define an alternate path for the signup.txt password file via
>>>user_prefs(...).
>>>

>>>Ossi

>>>[..]

>>On a secure server, TB needs to be trained to access the newsgroups fom
>>many different paths. Just keep adding the username password
>>combination and ask Password Manager to remember it everytime. After a
>>while TB will stop asking you unless you subscribe to a new group.
>>
>>Its a bug, and kind of annoying, but it will go away if you wait with
>>patience.
>>
>>Lee

> No, it won't... or I just got tired to re-entering my UID/PW every few
> minutes for about a week. I finally gave up and went back to NS 4.79
> for news. It works fine but does require the logon once at the start of
> a session (on Giganews) and has the unfortunate side effect of opening
> up the 4.79 browser on newsgroup posted links, which is why I wanted to
> use Moz for reading in the first place.
>
> This feature has been broken for years in Moz and I don't really expect
> to be fixed anytime soon, if ever.

Lets not argue. I can only share my experience. It took a good two
weeks, and yes it was annoying, but T'bird finally did learn. On the
server where I am writing this message, I used to experience exactly the
problem you describe. I kept entering idand password, kect saving it,
and now I am never asked for them, unless I subscribe to a new group.

Frustrating, yes, bug, absolutely, should it be fixed, absolutely, but,
if you keep at it, it will go away. A week isn't long enough.

Lee

gmccx

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> gmccx wrote:

> >>On a secure server, TB needs to be trained to access the newsgroups fom
> >>many different paths. Just keep adding the username password
> >>combination and ask Password Manager to remember it everytime. After a
> >>while TB will stop asking you unless you subscribe to a new group.
> >>
> >>Its a bug, and kind of annoying, but it will go away if you wait with
> >>patience.
> >>
> >>Lee

> > No, it won't... or I just got tired to re-entering my UID/PW every few
> > minutes for about a week. I finally gave up and went back to NS 4.79
> > for news. It works fine but does require the logon once at the start of
> > a session (on Giganews) and has the unfortunate side effect of opening
> > up the 4.79 browser on newsgroup posted links, which is why I wanted to
> > use Moz for reading in the first place.
> >
> > This feature has been broken for years in Moz and I don't really expect
> > to be fixed anytime soon, if ever.
> >

> Lets not argue. I can only share my experience. It took a good two
> weeks, and yes it was annoying, but T'bird finally did learn. On the
> server where I am writing this message, I used to experience exactly the
> problem you describe. I kept entering idand password, kect saving it,
> and now I am never asked for them, unless I subscribe to a new group.
>
> Frustrating, yes, bug, absolutely, should it be fixed, absolutely, but,
> if you keep at it, it will go away. A week isn't long enough.
>
> Lee

Ya.. maybe I just got annoyed with to quickly. But then, why should it
prompt when sub'bing to a new group on the same server? The groups
aren't passworded, and I've already logged in to the server. If I could
make NS 4.7x open Moz on a newsgroup posted link, I'd not give this a
second thought in the first place. But that isn't likely.