Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] FreeRIDE 0.6.0 Final Released!

[ANN] FreeRIDE 0.6.0 Final Released!

Curt Hibbs

Version 0.6.0 of FreeRIDE has been released and is available for download!
For details and downloads, go to:

http://freeride.rubyforge.org/

This is primarily a maintenance release. Lot's of bugs have been fixed and
some code refactoring was done to provide a better platform for future
development. There were also a number of editing and navigation
enhancements. Among the most significant additions were Find & Replace and
Code-Folding (see the ChangeLog? for a complete list). you can download
FreeRIDE [here].

The Window's version still runs FreeRIDE with its own private copy of Ruby
(that will not interfere with your installed version), but this private copy
of Ruby is now version 1.8.0.

=== FreeRIDE Overview ===

FreeRIDE aims to be a full-featured, first-class IDE on a par with those
available for other languages, with all the best-of-breed features that you
would expect in a high-end IDE.

Some of FreeRIDE's features include:

* Multi-file editing
* Syntax highlighting
* Auto-indenting
* Code Folding
* Source navigation by module, class, method, etc.
* Integrated debugging
* Written in Ruby for easy extension

Some planned features include:
* Full internationalization
* High-end refactoring support
* Remote pair programming

In its current state, FreeRIDE cannot yet be called a real IDE. What is does
have is a stable infrastructure with all the working plumbing needed for the
hordes of anxious Ruby developers that want to create plugins to extend the
functionality of FreeRIDE. The FreeRIDE team will be working on such
FreeRIDE plugins that we will individually release to incrementally improve
the FreeRIDE system. Periodically we will rollup these added plugins into
new releases of FreeRIDE.

Even if you have not officially joined the FreeRIDE team you can still
create plugins for you own use, share them with others, or send them to us
and we will make them available for download from our project wiki. We may
even ask for your permission to include them in the FreeRIDE core
distribution.

Simon Strandgaard

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 02:10:46 +0900, Curt Hibbs wrote:

> Version 0.6.0 of FreeRIDE has been released and is available for download!
> For details and downloads, go to:
>
> http://freeride.rubyforge.org/

Great.. I better try it out

> Some planned features include:
> * Remote pair programming

Did you got inspired from AEditor ?

--
Simon Strandgaard

Simon Strandgaard

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:02:02 -0600, Lyle Johnson wrote:

> Simon Strandgaard wrote:
>
>>> Some planned features include:
>>> * Remote pair programming

>> Did you got inspired from AEditor ?

> This has been on the list of plans for FreeRIDE pretty much since its
> inception (see the FreeRIDE Wiki at
> http://freeride.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?HomePage). Maybe AEditor got
> inspired by FreeRIDE

AEditor was initiated before I knew Ruby and FreeRide, but admitted it wasn't
the initial goal. Now its the main goal, to become a non-remote
pair-programming-editor. You have humor

Im interested in all kinds of interesting questions.. you don't have to
answer. Please contribute with more questions (philosophy

non-remote pair-programming
===========================

If you exercise pair-programming with a typical editor, what kind of
problems will you then experience?

How can an editor assist with pair programming?

When not being in the coder-role, what makes you loose track?

remote pair-programming
=======================

Is VoiceOverIP sufficient to communicate? or will you need video?

If you work on the same buffer, how to deal with undo/redo?

If you don't work on the same buffer, is it then pair-programming?

--
Simon Strandgaard

Lothar Scholz

"Curt Hibbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)> ...

> The Window's version still runs FreeRIDE with its own private copy of Ruby
> (that will not interfere with your installed version), but this private copy
> of Ruby is now version 1.8.0.

Does the debugger normally work on Win32 ? I ask because on my system
it freezes the IDE and i have to kill FreeRide via the task manager.

gabriele renzi

il 9 Nov 2003 22:54:19 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Lothar Scholz) ha
scritto::

>"Curt Hibbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)> ...
>
>> The Window's version still runs FreeRIDE with its own private copy of Ruby
>> (that will not interfere with your installed version), but this private copy
>> of Ruby is now version 1.8.0.

>Does the debugger normally work on Win32 ? I ask because on my system
>it freezes the IDE and i have to kill FreeRide via the task manager.

still not, I'm afraid

Alan Davies

gabriele renzi wrote:
> il 9 Nov 2003 22:54:19 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Lothar Scholz) ha
> scritto::
>

>>"Curt Hibbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)> ...
>>

>>>The Window's version still runs FreeRIDE with its own private copy of Ruby
>>>(that will not interfere with your installed version), but this private copy
>>>of Ruby is now version 1.8.0.

>>Does the debugger normally work on Win32 ? I ask because on my system
>>it freezes the IDE and i have to kill FreeRide via the task manager.

> still not, I'm afraid

Any idea when this will be working? This is the only thing preventing
me from using FreeRIDE!

gabriele renzi

il Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:36:35 +0000, Alan Davies
<(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto::

>Any idea when this will be working? This is the only thing preventing
>me from using FreeRIDE!

Not so soon, I'm afraid.
look here
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/fre.../msg00008.html
to read the relative messages in the FR mailing list.
BTW, I suppose if you want to hack freeride to fix this it would be
really appreciated

Remember that this is ruby code not some ugly obfuscated language

Joey Gibson

Alan Davies wrote:

> Any idea when this will be working? This is the only thing preventing
> me from using FreeRIDE!

If you need a debugger, the RDT project for Eclipse works pretty well. I
haven't done any extensive debugging with it, but what I've tried works.

Joey