Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Standard library documentation available

[ANN] Standard library documentation available

Gavin Sinclair

Folks,

On the eve of my hiking holiday in New Zealand, ill-timed to clash
with the Rugby World Cup quarter finals, I have rushed through the
preparation of a fairly useful set of standard library documentation.

See http://stdlib-doc.rubyforge.org/html/index.html

It's all RDoc-generated. If you like what you see, and want to see
more, feel free to contribute some RDoc comments. They'll end up in
this collection soon enough with credit to contributors.

Suggestions for improvement welcome.

Cheers,
Gavin

Raphael Bauduin

Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> Folks,
>
> On the eve of my hiking holiday in New Zealand, ill-timed to clash
> with the Rugby World Cup quarter finals, I have rushed through the
> preparation of a fairly useful set of standard library documentation.
>
> See http://stdlib-doc.rubyforge.org/html/index.html
>
> It's all RDoc-generated. If you like what you see, and want to see
> more, feel free to contribute some RDoc comments. They'll end up in
> this collection soon enough with credit to contributors.
>
> Suggestions for improvement welcome.
>
> Cheers,
> Gavin

Cool! It's already bookmarked!

Is there a place where rdoc is clearly documented? I'd like to use it
for my code too, but didn't find really good doc about it.

Raph

Kent Dahl

Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> On the eve of my hiking holiday in New Zealand, ill-timed to clash
> with the Rugby World Cup quarter finals, I have rushed through the
> preparation of a fairly useful set of standard library documentation.
>
> See http://stdlib-doc.rubyforge.org/html/index.html

Excellent work!

Are these available in a nice download, or do I have to use CVS or wget
to get a local copy?

> It's all RDoc-generated. If you like what you see, and want to see
> more, feel free to contribute some RDoc comments. They'll end up in
> this collection soon enough with credit to contributors.
>
> Suggestions for improvement welcome.

A small error in the TOC, which may be RDoc related:

Notice the text is resolv for both, but probably should be
resolv-replace for the latter, or am I missing something?

--
(\[ Kent Dahl ]/)_ _~_ _____[ http://www.pvv.org/~kentda/ ]_____/~
))\_student_/(( \__d L b__/ Master of Science in Technology )

gabriele renzi

il Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:48:04 +0100, Raphael Bauduin
<(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto::

>Cool! It's already bookmarked!
>
>Is there a place where rdoc is clearly documented? I'd like to use it
>for my code too, but didn't find really good doc about it.

http://rdoc.sourceforge.net/doc/index.html
I suppose

gabriele renzi

il Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:21:03 +0900, Gavin Sinclair
<(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto::

>Suggestions for improvement welcome.

well, obviousl please make them avai˛able as a tar.gz , xml, chm, ri
data file and whatever

One note:
fileutils has stuff like
+:method+.
I think the + is RDoc markup that gets wrongly interpreted, for all
the Symbols.

gsinclair@energy.com.au

gabriele renzi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> il Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:21:03 +0900, Gavin Sinclair
> <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto::
>

> >Suggestions for improvement welcome.

> well, obviousl please make them avai˛able as a tar.gz , xml, chm, ri
> data file and whatever

That will happen; some of it, anyway. Because I was in a hurry, I
hacked that stuff together. But the tools are half-done to generate
everything yourself.

> One note:
> fileutils has stuff like
> +:method+.

> I think the + is RDoc markup that gets wrongly interpreted, for all
> the Symbols.

Ah yeah, I got sick of typing <tt> and hoped RDoc would change. It
didn't, so I have to go back and change it

Cheers,
Gavin

gsinclair@energy.com.au

Kent Dahl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bnrnct$p3k$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> > On the eve of my hiking holiday in New Zealand, ill-timed to clash
> > with the Rugby World Cup quarter finals, I have rushed through the
> > preparation of a fairly useful set of standard library documentation.
> >
> > See http://stdlib-doc.rubyforge.org/html/index.html

> Excellent work!
>
> Are these available in a nice download, or do I have to use CVS or wget
> to get a local copy?

Not available yet, I'm afraid, and I wouldn't touch the CVS either.
It's way out of date and I need to replace the repository from
scratch.

I'd like ideas on how it should be distributed, though. Initially I
was going to commit all the generated RDoc stuff to CVS so people
could easily get the latest. However, I think that's a bit much. I
think I'll concentrate on the tools that allow you to generate it
yourself, and then make documentation snapshots downloadable. In
fact, I'll make one downloadable tonight since there's a couple of
requests. But then no activity for two weeks!

Another issue to consider is what docs should be shown: latest stable
release or CVS? What if 1.8.x is out but many people are still using
1.8.0? I'll consider these questions when it gets hosted on
ruby-doc.org.

A quick note on that matter. I intend to keep hosting the software on
rubyforge, but will place the end results on ruby-doc.org for online
viewing.

> > It's all RDoc-generated. If you like what you see, and want to see
> > more, feel free to contribute some RDoc comments. They'll end up in
> > this collection soon enough with credit to contributors.
> >
> > Suggestions for improvement welcome.

> A small error in the TOC, which may be RDoc related:

> Notice the text is resolv for both, but probably should be
> resolv-replace for the latter, or am I missing something?

Yep, my error. Over-eagerly applying a Vim macro. Will fix.

Cheers,
Gavin

Raphael Bauduin

gabriele renzi wrote:
> il Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:48:04 +0100, Raphael Bauduin
> <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto::
>

>>Cool! It's already bookmarked!
>>
>>Is there a place where rdoc is clearly documented? I'd like to use it
>>for my code too, but didn't find really good doc about it.

> http://rdoc.sourceforge.net/doc/index.html
> I suppose

Great! Actually I thought I was talking about rdoc , but I was talking
about rd2 from the rdtool debian package, which is something else it seems

I think I'll use rdoc from now.

Thanks!

Raph