Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby Download options

Ruby Download options

Daniel Carrera

Hello,

I have finished the first draft of "ooo_extract". A program to extract/search data
from OpenOffice.org files. I am putting up a project website explaining more clearly
how it works.

I am writing the section explaining what Ruby is and where you can get it.

Q1: Am I right to assume that Ruby 1.8.0 should provide zlib in all platforms?

Q2: I have a link to the Ruby source, and to the one-click Windows installer. Is
there an RPM I can get also? What should I do about Macs? I know that OS X comes
with Ruby. Is it version 1.8.0? Does it come with zlib? If not, where can I get a
binary Mac installer?

When the page is done I'll make an announcement.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera | OpenPGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
PhD grad student. |

Daniel Carrera

Alright, good to know. I have mentioned that on the website. This brings up another
point:

Does Mac OS X have zlib? Does the one-click Windows installer provide zlib?

I now that OS X comes with Ruby, but it won't be version 1.8.0, correct? Does OS X
come with everything needed to compile Ruby? I imagine it does not.

Cheers,
Daniel.

--
Daniel Carrera | OpenPGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
PhD grad student. |
Mathematics Dept. | "To understand recursion, you must first
UMD, College Park | understand recursion".

gabriele renzi

il Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:32:53 +0900, Daniel Carrera
<(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto::

>Alright, good to know. I have mentioned that on the website. This brings up another
>point:
>
>Does Mac OS X have zlib? Does the one-click Windows installer provide zlib?

C:\>irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'zlib'
=> true

I think the pragprog installer gives you zlib..