Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Resurrecting German mailing list?

Resurrecting German mailing list?

Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT

Hi!

While collecting information about the ruby mailing lists for
adding subscription information in German edition of the clr FAQ -
I'll send a translation to Hal - I started wondering what did happen
to the German language faq.

So I visited http://lists.bttr.org to see what has happened.
Seemingly Ralf Geschke (ralf(at)kuerbis.org) did close the mailing
list altogether.

Is there really so little interest in a German discussion list on
Ruby as Ralf thinks? I don't think so and hereby suggest setting up
'(E-Mail Removed)'.

Yeas, Nays, Whys, and Why-Not's to this list. For flames etc. use PM.

For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, the Mailinglist is
delivered into the admins, and they shall kill it; and after that it
is killed, it shall rise the third month. :->

Please take notice of signature! / Bitte Signature beachten!

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
--
db Wenn sie mir ohne meine Einwilligung geschickt wurde, db
dpqb wird eine E-Mail > 100 kB ungelesen entsorgt dpqb

Peter C. Verhage

Why the need for a German mailinglist? Why not ask questions / discuss
things in English? This way more people profit from the answers to the
questions / the results of the discussions.

Regards,

Peter

Armin Roehrl

Hi Josef,

that would be a good idea.

Tons of Germans speak English (kind of ) and are on the
English list.

Who has the power to set up that mailing-list?

Thx, -A.

--

-A.

Armin Roehrl, http://www.approximity.com
We manage risk

Robert Klemme

Hey Joe,

although capable of German (sort of, it's my mother tongue ) I prefer to
continue posting here. I guess the audience is much bigger thus yielding
better results. (And it trains my English )

Viel Glueck!

robert

"Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi!
>
> While collecting information about the ruby mailing lists for
> adding subscription information in German edition of the clr FAQ -
> I'll send a translation to Hal - I started wondering what did happen
> to the German language faq.
>
> So I visited http://lists.bttr.org to see what has happened.
> Seemingly Ralf Geschke (ralf(at)kuerbis.org) did close the mailing
> list altogether.
>
> Is there really so little interest in a German discussion list on
> Ruby as Ralf thinks? I don't think so and hereby suggest setting up
> '(E-Mail Removed)'.
>
> Yeas, Nays, Whys, and Why-Not's to this list. For flames etc. use PM.
>
> For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, the Mailinglist is
> delivered into the admins, and they shall kill it; and after that it
> is killed, it shall rise the third month. :->
>
> Please take notice of signature! / Bitte Signature beachten!
>
> Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
> --
> db Wenn sie mir ohne meine Einwilligung geschickt wurde, db
> dpqb wird eine E-Mail > 100 kB ungelesen entsorgt dpqb
> dp::qb If you send me an e-mail > 100 kB without my dp::qb
> dp::::qb consent it will be silently discarded dp::::qb

Paul William

> Tons of Germans speak English (kind of ) and are on the
> English list.
>
> Who has the power to set up that mailing-list?

If they speak english isnt it better that they are on the english list?
With a lot more people on the english list they are more likely to get
answers to their questions.

--

.''`. Paul William
: :' : Debian admin and user

Paul William

In case my last post seemed offensive - it was not supposed to be,
sorry.
--

.''`. Paul William
: :' : Debian admin and user
`- Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing a system

Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT

Hi!

* Paul William; 2003-10-18, 17:14 UTC:
> If they speak english isnt it better that they are on the english
> list?

Being on one list does not exclude being on the other one, n'est ce
pas? I rather see it as an additional means of communication that
does not keep people outside who don't speak English - there are
several Ruby books in German so this is not that strange a scenario.

BTW: What did happen to the french list? Seems to be death...

> With a lot more people on the english list they are more likely to
> get answers to their questions.

Sure. But it is also not too unlikely that they may not understand
the answer.

> Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing a system

OT: I think that not all people agree in that they have something
better to do than fixing a system (some politicans for example don't)
- 'fixing a system' and 'fixing an operating system' are no synonyms.

Please take notice of signature! / Bitte Signature beachten!

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
--
db Wenn sie mir ohne meine Einwilligung geschickt wurde, db
dpqb wird eine E-Mail > 100 kB ungelesen entsorgt dpqb
dp::qb If you send me an e-mail > 100 kB without my dp::qb
dp::::qb consent it will be silently discarded dp::::qb

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

* Robert Klemme; Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:06:58 +0200

> I guess the audience is much bigger thus yielding better results.

Not much guesswork necessary I am only wondering if the use of
English doesn't keep people outside - as did Japanese for quite some
time.

> And it trains my English

Try 'A word a day' mailing list.

http://www.wordsmith.org/awad/subscribe.html

They provide you with lots of very interesting english words (of very
different origin) like:

Rubicon (ROO-bi-kon) noun

A point of no return, one where an action taken commits a person
irrevocably.

quintessence (kwin-TES-ens) noun

1. The pure, concentrated essence.

2. Most perfect embodiment of something.

hinterland (HIN-tuhr-land) noun

1. An area behind the coastal region.

2. The remote part of a region, away from the cultural influence of a
city; back country.

haiku (HY-koo) noun

A form of Japanese verse having three unrhymed lines of five, seven,
and five syllables respectively, involving allusions and references
to nature or seasons. Also, a poem written in this form.

I always find it surprising how many words of English are not known
by most people - even native speakers.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Resurrecting the Ruby Wiki Martin DeMello Ruby 1 02-08-2008 10:10 AM
Help-Charging German Fritzbox from German to English Nigel UK VOIP 4 01-22-2008 10:47 PM
resurrecting cin float_dublin C++ 11 09-16-2005 06:14 AM
Mozilla stuck in German! RHertz Firefox 2 07-27-2004 12:54 AM
Resurrecting "Dead" Posts ChrisCoaster Computer Information 0 07-16-2004 07:17 PM

Advertisments