Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > formatting ruby code in html

formatting ruby code in html

paul vudmaska

Is there a similar function in Ruby to the
highlight_file function of php...this function takes a
file and outputs it in html....

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/functio...light-file.php

Thanks!

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Ara.T.Howard

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, paul vudmaska wrote:

> Is there a similar function in Ruby to the
> highlight_file function of php...this function takes a
> file and outputs it in html....
>
> http://us2.php.net/manual/en/functio...light-file.php

for f in *.[rb]; do gvim -f +"syn on" +"run! syntax/2html.vim" +"wq" +"q" $f; done

vim is great.

-a
====================================
| Ara Howard
| NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory
| Information and Technology Services
| Data Systems Group
| R/FST 325 Broadway
| Boulder, CO 80305-3328
| Email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
| Phone: 303-497-7238
| Fax: 303-497-7259
| The difference between art and science is that science is what we understand
| well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else.
| -- Donald Knuth, "Discover"
| ~ > /bin/sh -c 'for lang in ruby perl; do $lang -e "print \"\x3a\x2d\x29\x0a\""; done'
====================================

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Hi!

* Ara.T.Howard; 2003-09-25, 12:57 UTC:
> for f in *.[rb]; do
> gvim -f +"syn on" +"run! syntax/2html.vim" +"wq" +"q" $f;
> done

The line breaks I inserted don't break anything else but lines.

'*.[rb]' matches file names that either end in '.r' or in '.r'. I
think you want to match all files with names ending in '.rb'. This is
done as follows:

for f in *.rb

That still doesn't solve the problem at hand. The task is not to
identify files with names ending in certain characters but
identifying files with certain content. This problem can be solved in
two stages by first identifying the names of all files (in contrast
to directories and other things) and then finding out which of these
files are ruby programs:

for f in $(file $(find . -type f)|grep -i ruby|cut -d : -f1); do

"$(...)" is the POSIX equivalent of "`...`" that has a major
advantage over the latter form: It can easily be nested.

There is good reason to insist on *not* mixing up file extensions
with file types. Under Unix and Linux programs may not have any file
extension while still being written in Ruby.

Also note that by

+"colorscheme <name-of-color-scheme>"
+"syntax on"

you can use a different color scheme for syntax highlighting than

Please take notice of signature! / Bitte Signature beachten!

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
--
*Warning!* For sending me messages > 100 kB you need my explicit
permission. Otherwise they will be silently discarded.