Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > jdk folder structure, sample folder

jdk folder structure, sample folder

Ulrich Scholz

I'm looking for a way to cut down the size of my JDK (Java 6). In
Oracle's explanation of the file structure (http://docs.oracle.com/
javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/jdkfiles.html#additional), it
mentions some additional files and directories that presumably can be
removed.

Now, there is an additional sample folder that is not explained. From
its name, I guess I can remove it, too. Right? Please point me to an
official page explaining this folder. Searching the web did not reveal
one.

Thanks, Ulrich

Roedy Green

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 07:00:30 -0800 (PST), Ulrich Scholz
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

>(http://docs.oracle.com/
>javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/jdkfiles.html#additional)

that url lists the optional directories
jdk1.6.0
___________|__________
| | |
demo include src.zip
___|___ _________ __________
| | | |
applets jfc jpda plugin

It also tells you what they are for, so you can tell if you want them.

e.g. demo is source demos.
src.zip is the source code for the built-in Java classes.
etc.
In these days of terabyte disks, I am am surprised you would think
such pruning worth the candle.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Ulrich Scholz

Thanks. But my JDK has a "sample" folder that is not described on this
page.
Do you know an official description of it.

And yes, in my case it makes a difference.

Ulrich

On 25 Jan., 23:27, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 07:00:30 -0800 (PST), Ulrich Scholz
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>
> >(http://docs.oracle.com/
> >javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/jdkfiles.html#additional)

> that url lists the optional directories
> * * * * * * * * * jdk1.6.0
> * * * * * * * * *___________|__________
> * * * * * * * * | * * * * * | * * * * *|
> * * * * * * * demo * * *include * * src.zip
> * * * * * * *___|___ _________ __________
> * * * * * * | * * * | * * * * | * * * **|
> * * * * * applets *jfc * * * jpda * * *plugin
>
> It also tells you what they are for, so you can tell if you want them.

Jeff Higgins

On 01/26/2012 07:44 AM, Ulrich Scholz wrote:
> Thanks. But my JDK has a "sample" folder that is not described on this
> page.
> Do you know an official description of it.

In the README file, under the heading "Contents of the JDK" and the sub
heading "Sample Code" is a description. The description could have been
expanded, I suppose, but I'm sure that the detailed descriptions of the
individual samples are documented where the sample is created.

<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/readme-142177.html#contents>

Apparently, with JDK7, the sample, demo, example code has been moved to
a separate download.

Jeff Higgins

On 01/26/2012 08:26 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
> On 01/26/2012 07:44 AM, Ulrich Scholz wrote:
>> Thanks. But my JDK has a "sample" folder that is not described on this
>> page.
>> Do you know an official description of it.
>>

> In the README file, under the heading "Contents of the JDK" and the sub
> heading "Sample Code" is a description. The description could have been
> expanded, I suppose, but I'm sure that the detailed descriptions of the
> individual samples are documented where the sample is created.
>
> <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/readme-142177.html#contents>

Additionally, see the later section "The Java Runtime Environment (JRE
TM )", subsection "Optional Files and Directories" where the samples/
directory is listed as optional.