Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > os x / mysql : install 1.8 : ruby = nil

os x / mysql : install 1.8 : ruby = nil

paul vudmaska

I'm trying to install ruby/eruby and mysql to learn ruby for web stuff
on os x 10.2

At some point, i think while installing,
http://www.tmtm.org/ruby/mysql/README_en.html , i wacked my ruby
install that comes with os x(my fault, not the above)... i tried to
install in /usr/bin/ruby... then when i noticed that the mysql file
WAS /usr/bin/ruby....dont laugh, i'm new to this

So i went about getting 1.8. I ran the config...no c compiler so i
loaded the dev tools and ran
../configure
make
make install
using the defaults...everything seemed ok. But i still have no ruby. I
went into what seems like the install directory /usr/local/bin and try
to run ruby(it's in there) but i get 'command not found'.

when i do a 'whereis ruby' on the command line i get nothing. 'which
ruby' nada. I tried adding ruby to my path.../usr/local/bin

I'd really like to check ruby out. Anyone know of an isp who supports
ruby with mysql/eruby/mod_ruby?

somebody please clue me

ahoward

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, paul vudmaska wrote:

> I'm trying to install ruby/eruby and mysql to learn ruby for web stuff
> on os x 10.2
>
> At some point, i think while installing,
> http://www.tmtm.org/ruby/mysql/README_en.html , i wacked my ruby
> install that comes with os x(my fault, not the above)... i tried to
> install in /usr/bin/ruby... then when i noticed that the mysql file
> WAS /usr/bin/ruby....dont laugh, i'm new to this
>
> So i went about getting 1.8. I ran the config...no c compiler so i
> loaded the dev tools and ran
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> using the defaults...everything seemed ok. But i still have no ruby. I
> went into what seems like the install directory /usr/local/bin and try
> to run ruby(it's in there) but i get 'command not found'.

this is probably because './' (the current directory) is not in your PATH.

what does this output?

prompt> /usr/local/bin/ruby

> when i do a 'whereis ruby' on the command line i get nothing. 'which
> ruby' nada. I tried adding ruby to my path.../usr/local/bin

hmmm - can you show the output of your commands? if running bash(sh, maybe
even tcsh) try:

env PATH=/usr/local/bin which ruby

> I'd really like to check ruby out. Anyone know of an isp who supports
> ruby with mysql/eruby/mod_ruby?
>
> somebody please clue me

can't help you there...

-a
====================================
| Ara Howard
| NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory
| Information and Technology Services
| Data Systems Group
| R/FST 325 Broadway
| Boulder, CO 80305-3328
| Email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
| Phone: 303-497-7238
| Fax: 303-497-7259
| ~ > ruby -e 'p(%.\x2d\x29..intern)'

nil.to_s != "nil" Eero Saynatkari Ruby 11 10-28-2006 10:57 PM
Integer(nil) versus Float(nil) versus String(nil) Christoffer Sawicki Ruby 5 09-02-2006 06:28 PM
a == nil or a.nil? ako... Ruby 6 11-23-2005 05:03 AM
RCR 303: nil should accept missing methods and return nil John Carter Ruby 64 05-19-2005 12:12 PM
puts nil generates "nil\n" Brian Candler Ruby 1 11-06-2004 01:59 PM

Advertisments