Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > AW: [ann] AEditor 0.10, folding added

AW: [ann] AEditor 0.10, folding added

Recheis Meinrad

> Try out AEditor and tell me if AEditor works on your
> machine. Please report if there is any problems.
> Ideas + Suggestions for improvements is welcome
>
> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=aeditor

No replies ?

they dont mean to ignore your post intentionally, but
you know, there is a really good editor distributed with ruby.

SciTe. That's the reason why i haven't tried AEd. I allready got
familiar with SciTe.

I would also interested in your opinion guys.
going to test AEditor now ....

[snip]
> --
> Simon Strandgaard

- Henon

Simon Strandgaard

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 02:56:48 +0900, Recheis Meinrad wrote:

>> Try out AEditor and tell me if AEditor works on your
>> machine. Please report if there is any problems.
>> Ideas + Suggestions for improvements is welcome
>>
>> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=aeditor

> No replies ?

until simon.too_many_answers?
wait
replies += 1
end

> they dont mean to ignore your post intentionally, but
> you know, there is a really good editor distributed with ruby.
> SciTe. That's the reason why i haven't tried AEd. I allready got
> familiar with SciTe.

Yes, SciTe is a decent editor. Hopefully one day AEditor can replace it.
Internally SciTe is using the rich-edit-widget, Scintilla.
Scintilla is unfortunatly written in C++ and has no unittesting.
Otherwise its quite nice.

FreeRIDE is using Scintilla as its editor-widget. I hope one day to
entirely replace Scintilla-widget with the AEditor-widget.

also IntelliJ-Idea has many nice features which I hope AEditor will get.
http://www.intellij.com/idea/
examples of its features [ripped from intelliJ's feature list]:
* rename method, The renaming functionality allows you to rename any
package, class, method or variable and automatically finds and corrects
all references to it.
* Moving classes and packages with reference correction.
* extract method, Select a block of code and invoke Extract Method to
turn it into a method. It will automatically analyze the code to
detect which variables of the original method must be passed to the
extracted method as parameters.
* etc.. 30 refactoring operations ..

If we had an IDE for Ruby with such features... wow.
I will do my best in order to create such refactoring tools for ruby.

> I would also interested in your opinion guys.
> going to test AEditor now ....

Great.. tell me what you think

--
Simon Strandgaard