Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby & Cyrillic (Russian encodings)

Ruby & Cyrillic (Russian encodings)

Armin Roehrl

Hi,

I would be thankful if s.b. could
give me a link dealing with Cyrillic encoding in Russian.

I want todo trivial things like checking whether a letter
is upper-or lower-case ,etc.

Thx,
-A.

Armin Roehrl, http://www.approximity.com

Alexander Bokovoy

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 10:20:57PM +0900, Armin Roehrl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would be thankful if s.b. could
> give me a link dealing with Cyrillic encoding in Russian.

Which encoding? There are around 27 cyrillic encodings.
Most of commonly used are supported by iconv() -- this reduces number of
them to 4-6.

> I want todo trivial things like checking whether a letter
> is upper-or lower-case ,etc.

Look into glibc's Cyrillic locales definitions, together with selected
encodings.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
---

Armin Roehrl

> Look into glibc's Cyrillic locales definitions, together with selected
> encodings.

Thank you very much. I see I have to invest a bit of time
here to learn the basics first. .
Have a good weekend,
-A.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Saluton!

* Armin Roehrl; 2003-07-11, 20:36 UTC:
> Hi,
>
> I would be thankful if s.b. could give me a link dealing with
> Cyrillic encoding in Russian.

Cyrillic Charset Soup by Roman Czyborra has information about the
encoding of languages using cyrillic letters and why most people do
not use ISO 8859-5:

http://czyborra.com/charsets/cyrillic.html

Information about character encoding is also available at my home
page. Try any of these URLs:

http://members.lycos.nl/jupp/charsets/
http://mitglied.lycos.de/buran/charsets/
http://members.fortunecity.com/deusxmachina/charsets/

*Note:* For covering *all* cyrillic (not just the characters used for
Russian) you have to use Unicode. All other encodings lack some
characters.

Gis,

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
--
N'attribuez jamais à la malice ce que l'incompétence explique !
-- Napoléon

Cyrillic on the web BusyGuy HTML 6 06-02-2006 10:28 AM
There is a freeware (for Windows) for cyrillic encode? WebRaster HTML 2 02-23-2006 06:25 AM
Why would a website's encoding default to Cyrillic? Nocturnal HTML 3 11-28-2005 05:43 PM
Problems with cyrillic letters in Servlet Martin Fuchs Java 2 03-29-2005 08:14 AM
saving cyrillic text from ASP.NET page to SQL ServerDB Milsnips ASP .Net 0 10-13-2004 09:59 AM

Advertisments