Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Aeditor-0.1 is unleashed

Reply
Thread Tools

[ANN] Aeditor-0.1 is unleashed

 
 
Simon Strandgaard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2003
Aeditor is a editor-widget written in Ruby. The primary
goal is to make a programmers-editor which is suitable
for pair-programming. Other important goals is:
* fully scriptable in Ruby.
* nice visual output.
* many kinds of frontends: Gtk, Qt, Ncurses.
Aeditor is a rival to scintilla. It is meant to be
embedded into other applications, eg: FreeRIDE.


WARNING: It is in a very *early* state... so don't expect much.
Basic editing is working. Advanced editing is on my TODO list.


download:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/m...ar.gz?download

screenshot:
http://metaeditor.sourceforge.net/gr...ur_sharpen.png

homepage:
http://metaeditor.sourceforge.net/


This is first time I release a ruby-package. I am therefore very curious
about install issues.. Tell me if installation works for you
Please tell me your ideas/opinions/suggestions/flames ?

--
Simon Strandgaard
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Simon Strandgaard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2003
On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:32:24 +0200, Simon Strandgaard wrote:

> download:
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/m...ar.gz?download
>
> This is first time I release a ruby-package. I am therefore very curious
> about install issues.. Tell me if installation works for you
> Please tell me your ideas/opinions/suggestions/flames ?



Is there any Rubyists-volunteers who would like to test Aeditor ?


Is the tarball 'packaged' correct ? Is there anything missing ?


Can I bundle 'Ncurses-4-ruby' within the tarball ?
Ncurses is LGPL licensed ?

'install.rb' is LGPL too... should I add a LGPL-licence file ?


When releasing new versions of pacages, is it possible to 'auto-update'
the RAA entry, with current data ? has anyone done it before?

--
Simon Strandgaard
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joao Pedrosa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2003

Hello,

I wish this project will progress well, because we
really need a ruby IDE, and everything depends on a
good editor. Scintilla has I18N problems, i.e.,
it doesn't support portuguese accents (I am sure
it affects other languages as well), so it doesn't
cut it for me.

What worries me about this project is the GUI
independence that you are targeting, because it
may become more difficult to support I18N well.

Will it support unicode ?

What is the current status of the support for GTK+2 ?

All the best,
Joao


Em Ter, 2003-07-01 *s 09:49, Simon Strandgaard escreveu:
> Aeditor is a editor-widget written in Ruby. The primary
> goal is to make a programmers-editor which is suitable
> for pair-programming. Other important goals is:
> * fully scriptable in Ruby.
> * nice visual output.
> * many kinds of frontends: Gtk, Qt, Ncurses.
> Aeditor is a rival to scintilla. It is meant to be
> embedded into other applications, eg: FreeRIDE.
>
>
> WARNING: It is in a very *early* state... so don't expect much.
> Basic editing is working. Advanced editing is on my TODO list.
>
>
> download:
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/m...ar.gz?download
>
> screenshot:
> http://metaeditor.sourceforge.net/gr...ur_sharpen.png
>
> homepage:
> http://metaeditor.sourceforge.net/
>
>
> This is first time I release a ruby-package. I am therefore very curious
> about install issues.. Tell me if installation works for you
> Please tell me your ideas/opinions/suggestions/flames ?
>
> --
> Simon Strandgaard
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Stephen Lewis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2003
--=.ZIN7HU.AVb,p+L
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:39:16 +0900
Mark Wilson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> This is first time I release a ruby-package. I am therefore very
> >> curious
> >> about install issues.. Tell me if installation works for you
> >> Please tell me your ideas/opinions/suggestions/flames ?

> > [snip]

>
> Hi,
>
> I had to add 'aeditor/' to the require statements. I then had an error
>
> when I tried to run it.


Same problem here - running your "aeditor" script doesn't work (
it's unable to find the files required from main.rb ). What does work
is changing to the installed aeditor directory and running "main.rb"
manually.

A few other things that I noticed fairly quickly:
1) How should I quit? - I found many ways to "quit" through
unhandled exceptions (escape enter, shift-fkey, ctrl-c enter etc

2) Running in a large xterm, the top status bar seems to have a hard
coded width
3) No backspace (or foward-delete)? ctrl-h didn't work either
4) the "play" action raises an uncaught exception if nothing has been
recorded yet. On that note, it might be nice to change "record" to
"stop" during the record operation
5) Single line is fairly sluggish (I know, I know, premature
optimisation

Looks promising tho, I'll be keeping an eye on development. I quite
like the period as an EOL marker - hadn't seen that before.

--
Stephen Lewis
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

--=.ZIN7HU.AVb,p+L
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQE/AmZ0IgTEtLC7U/IRArYLAJ4ipiWGmcR4W7xlDetbxMoydySMuACdE9zn
WNQRx7+HjFAWPsX6sUcO0WA=
=0DMx
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--=.ZIN7HU.AVb,p+L--

 
Reply With Quote
 
Simon Strandgaard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2003
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:58:45 +0900, Stephen Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:39:16 +0900
> Mark Wilson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> >> This is first time I release a ruby-package. I am therefore very
>> >> curious
>> >> about install issues.. Tell me if installation works for you
>> >> Please tell me your ideas/opinions/suggestions/flames ?
>> > [snip]

>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had to add 'aeditor/' to the require statements. I then had an error
>>
>> when I tried to run it.

>
> Same problem here - running your "aeditor" script doesn't work (
> it's unable to find the files required from main.rb ). What does work
> is changing to the installed aeditor directory and running "main.rb"
> manually.


Interesting, running the 'aeditor' script works here?
I guess I have an earlier installation, where I didn't have any
'lib/aeditor' dir is screwing up here. I better reinstall ruby+aeditor
on my machine and look closer at the problem.


> A few other things that I noticed fairly quickly:
> 1) How should I quit? - I found many ways to "quit" through
> unhandled exceptions (escape enter, shift-fkey, ctrl-c enter etc
>


Escape (ascii code 27) should terminate the application. The story about
Ncurses and the escape key is wierd: I think it is trying to compose a
escape code, if no cobination key is pressed within a second, the ascii
code 27 should be omitted ?

At the moment ascii-code 27 is the only way to terminate it.


> 2) Running in a large xterm, the top status bar seems to have a hard
> coded width


Admitted.. This is hardcoded, I will fix it later.


> 3) No backspace (or foward-delete)? ctrl-h didn't work either


The delete-key is not yet supported.

The backspace-key (ascii code 9) should be bound to cmd_backspace.
Maybe your backspace-key is generating something else ?

Can tell me what happens in the 'log' file if you press Escape ?
The message should look like the following:

Control#dispatch: Unknown event occured
ncurses-event = xxx


> 4) the "play" action raises an uncaught exception if nothing has been
> recorded yet. On that note, it might be nice to change "record" to
> "stop" during the record operation


Oh... my fault, will fix it


> 5) Single line is fairly sluggish (I know, I know, premature
> optimisation


three lines is the minimum: 2 lines containing menues, 1 line containing
text.
Rigth now it raises an exception if one attempt to make the window smaller
than 3 lines.

I assume you are in this '3 line' situation ?

'sluggish' => slow ?
Is it slower than a window spanning multiple lines ?


> Looks promising tho, I'll be keeping an eye on development. I quite
> like the period as an EOL marker - hadn't seen that before.


EOL markers should be an enable/disable option

--
Simon Strandgaard
 
Reply With Quote
 
Simon Strandgaard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2003
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 12:27:20 +0900, Joao Pedrosa wrote:

> I wish this project will progress well, because we
> really need a ruby IDE, and everything depends on a
> good editor.





> Scintilla has I18N problems, i.e.,
> it doesn't support portuguese accents (I am sure
> it affects other languages as well), so it doesn't
> cut it for me.


Scintilla is one of the less great editors.
I have been browsing its source code and it looks quite hackish
compared to VIM.


> What worries me about this project is the GUI
> independence that you are targeting, because it
> may become more difficult to support I18N well.


Rendering of unicode glyphs is interesting
The 'rigth2left' direction, should be possible too.


> Will it support unicode ?


yes. This is a new area for me im entering. I don't know which unicode
standard(s) I should support: utf-8, utf-16. .. others?


> What is the current status of the support for GTK+2 ?


I am conducting experiments with writting a Qt-GUI fontend in
C++ in order to achive fast rending of glyphs. Even though I dislike
closed source applications. I embed Ruby into C++ and uses SWIG.

I started out with experimenting with Gtk1.2, but it was too strange
writting custom widgets for. If there is any GTK/GTK2 experts they are
welcome to join

--
Simon Strandgaard
 
Reply With Quote
 
Stephen Lewis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2003
--=.Al)EDmBL5N_AQE
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:54:59 +0900
"Simon Strandgaard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:58:45 +0900, Stephen Lewis wrote:

[snip]
> > A few other things that I noticed fairly quickly:
> > 1) How should I quit? - I found many ways to "quit" through
> > unhandled exceptions (escape enter, shift-fkey, ctrl-c enter
> > etc

>
> Escape (ascii code 27) should terminate the application. The story
> about Ncurses and the escape key is wierd: I think it is trying to
> compose a escape code, if no cobination key is pressed within a
> second, the ascii code 27 should be omitted ?

^^^^^^^ --> emitted?

See below for what happens for me when I hit escape

As to the delay, the ncurses man page mentions this in its environment
variables section:

ESCDELAY
Specifies the total time, in milliseconds, for which ncurses will
await a character sequence, e.g., a function key. The default
value, 1000 milliseconds, is enough for most uses. However, it is
made a variable to accommodate unusual applications.
...

> > 3) No backspace (or foward-delete)? ctrl-h didn't work either

>
> The delete-key is not yet supported.
>
> The backspace-key (ascii code 9) should be bound to cmd_backspace.
> Maybe your backspace-key is generating something else ?


Hitting backspace generates this in the log:

Control#dispatch: Unknown event occured
ncurses-event = 263

ctrl-h generates the same... :/


> Can tell me what happens in the 'log' file if you press Escape ?
> The message should look like the following:
>
> Control#dispatch: Unknown event occured
> ncurses-event = xxx


--- [0] --------------------------------------------------
Fatal-Error in program!
please report this bug.
EXCEPTION:
RuntimeError
MESSAGE:

BACKTRACE:
./control.rb:218:in `dispatch'
main.rb:26:in `run'
main.rb:24:in `loop'
main.rb:27:in `run'
main.rb:36:in `launch'
main.rb:51

Given that in control.rb, lines 217-218:
when 27 # escape key
raise



>
> > 5) Single line is fairly sluggish (I know, I know, premature
> > optimisation

>
> three lines is the minimum: 2 lines containing menues, 1 line
> containing text.
> Rigth now it raises an exception if one attempt to make the window
> smaller than 3 lines.


Sorry, I forgot the word "scrolling" - scrolling by a single line is
quite slow, but it is the same speed as scrolling by a page so I
imagine it can be sped up in the future. It wasn't really a big thing,
just thought I'd mention it

--
Stephen Lewis
(E-Mail Removed)

--=.Al)EDmBL5N_AQE
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQE/ApJcIgTEtLC7U/IRAqyjAKCj8DJtBe3/etszU/Z6Lg8eimZe4ACfQvvw
yRuz9yZlbYjIfxup9JpzNr4=
=Mvoj
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--=.Al)EDmBL5N_AQE--

 
Reply With Quote
 
Simon Strandgaard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2003
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:07:02 +0900, Stephen Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:54:59 +0900
> "Simon Strandgaard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:58:45 +0900, Stephen Lewis wrote:

> [snip]
>> > A few other things that I noticed fairly quickly:
>> > 1) How should I quit? - I found many ways to "quit" through
>> > unhandled exceptions (escape enter, shift-fkey, ctrl-c enter
>> > etc

>>
>> Escape (ascii code 27) should terminate the application. The story
>> about Ncurses and the escape key is wierd: I think it is trying to
>> compose a escape code, if no cobination key is pressed within a
>> second, the ascii code 27 should be omitted ?

> ^^^^^^^ --> emitted?


'omitted' -> 'emitted'


> See below for what happens for me when I hit escape
>
> As to the delay, the ncurses man page mentions this in its environment
> variables section:
>
> ESCDELAY
> Specifies the total time, in milliseconds, for which ncurses will
> await a character sequence, e.g., a function key. The default
> value, 1000 milliseconds, is enough for most uses. However, it is
> made a variable to accommodate unusual applications.
> ...


OK.. I wasn't aware of this environment variable.
I wonder if its possible to locally setenv to another value, so that it
only affects Aeditor ?


>> > 3) No backspace (or foward-delete)? ctrl-h didn't work either

>>
>> The delete-key is not yet supported.
>>
>> The backspace-key (ascii code 9) should be bound to cmd_backspace.
>> Maybe your backspace-key is generating something else ?

>
> Hitting backspace generates this in the log:
>
> Control#dispatch: Unknown event occured
> ncurses-event = 263
>
> ctrl-h generates the same... :/


Doing some decimal2octal conversion:

#define KEY_BACKSPACE 0407 /* backspace key */

I have now added this keybinding


>> Can tell me what happens in the 'log' file if you press Escape ?
>> The message should look like the following:

>
> Given that in control.rb, lines 217-218:
> when 27 # escape key
> raise
>
>


I must find a more gentle way to terminate this application


>> > 5) Single line is fairly sluggish (I know, I know, premature
>> > optimisation

>>
>> three lines is the minimum: 2 lines containing menues, 1 line
>> containing text.
>> Rigth now it raises an exception if one attempt to make the window
>> smaller than 3 lines.

>
> Sorry, I forgot the word "scrolling" - scrolling by a single line is
> quite slow, but it is the same speed as scrolling by a page so I
> imagine it can be sped up in the future. It wasn't really a big thing,
> just thought I'd mention it


Yes vertical-movement is extremly slow. This is because of the undo/redo
system, which takes a full snapshot of the buffer everytime.
I have not yet implemented a Buffer#get_state_xy.. which is suppose only
to take a snapshot of the (X, Y) position.

I follow the idiom: make it work, make it right, make it fast.
Right now its about getting things working

--
Simon Strandgaard





 
Reply With Quote
 
nobu.nokada@softhome.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2003
Hi,

At Thu, 3 Jul 2003 00:20:04 +0900,
Simon Strandgaard wrote:
> OK.. I hope I have fixed most of the install issues.
> So it migth be working this time
>
> Tell me if version 0.2 is working better for you ?
>
> download:
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/m...ar.gz?download


It doesn't work when RUBYLIB is set.

$ type aeditor
aeditor is hashed (/usr/bin/aeditor)
$ echo $RUBYLIB
/home/nobu/lib/ruby
$ aeditor
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/aeditor/main.rb:1:in `require': No such file to load -- misc (LoadError)
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/aeditor/main.rb:1
from /usr/bin/aeditor:3:in `require'
from /usr/bin/aeditor:3

You'd better to replace require's.

--
Nobu Nakada

 
Reply With Quote
 
Simon Strandgaard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2003
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 01:46:13 +0900, nobu.nokad wrote:
> At Thu, 3 Jul 2003 00:20:04 +0900, Simon Strandgaard wrote:
>> OK.. I hope I have fixed most of the install issues.
>> So it migth be working this time
>>
>> Tell me if version 0.2 is working better for you ?
>>
>> download:
>> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/m...ar.gz?download

>
> It doesn't work when RUBYLIB is set.


I totally forgot about $RUBYLIB.. Therefore my hardcoding
to $:[0] is a bad idea.

$:.unshift $:[0]+File::SEPARATOR+"aeditor"

How do I obtain the install location, in a clean way ?


>
> You'd better to replace require's.


I don't quite follow ?

--
Simon Strandgaard
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bagle blitz unleashed Imhotep Computer Security 8 09-25-2005 01:44 AM
New releases: Unleashed, Monster-In-Law and StewieGriffin: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB and info lists Doug MacLean DVD Video 3 07-12-2005 04:58 AM
aspnet unleashed store Mark ASP .Net 0 11-07-2004 08:04 PM
Patents Unleashed and the future of Java Programming --- Java 30 05-26-2004 03:36 PM
Ginger Snaps II: Unleashed Colin Caulkins DVD Video 3 04-26-2004 03:01 AM



Advertisments