Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Oh oh.

Oh oh.

RichA

PeterN

On 1/24/2012 3:01 PM, RichA wrote:
> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_311191.html

The rules haven't changed. you just didn't know, or understand them.
In the US if I register the name "RichA" in connection with the sale of
crumb buns, nobody else can use that name in connection with the sale of
crumb buns. There is nothing to prevent anyone else from using the name
in connection with a column that reports matters inaccurately.

--
Peter

David Dyer-Bennet

PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 1/24/2012 3:01 PM, RichA wrote:
>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_311191.html
>>

> The rules haven't changed. you just didn't know, or understand them.
> In the US if I register the name "RichA" in connection with the sale
> of crumb buns, nobody else can use that name in connection with the
> sale of crumb buns. There is nothing to prevent anyone else from using
> the name in connection with a column that reports matters
> inaccurately.

Yes.

Well; I don't have the list in front of me, but I don't think "crumb
buns" is one of the categories.

There's an official list of market segments, and you register a
trademark in that segment (and that segment only), and trademarks only
conflict when they're within a segment.

(Note that this is *US* trademark law.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

snapper@mailinator.com

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:01:03 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_311191.html

In that case, I reckon it *IS* a copyright breach. It is obvious the tea maker's photo is
a recreation of the original.

Bruce

Elliott Roper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, bugbear
><bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
>
>> RichA wrote:
>> >
>> > http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...opyright_threa
>> > t_after_shock_ruling_update_news_311191.html
>> >

>> Looks like photographers not only SHOULD be creative and original,
>> they're now legally obliged to be.
>>
>> Not seeing a problem here.

>Quite right!
>
>You can see why the judge had to rule that way. Not only was it an
>outrageous rip off of the mono background treatment, the tea company
>had to be punished for egregious composition.
>
>Calling themselves "New England Teas"? Into the slammer they go for
>lack of respect for leftpondian sensibilities.
>
>Wouldn't it be fun if a high viz jacketed jobsworth popped out from
>under Westminster bridge and said "You can't take that photograph! The
>diagonals are wrong and where is the foreground interest to give it
>scale?"

I can imagine an unholy battle erupting if the copyright holder went
to any of the London markets where superficially similar spot colour
London bus/taxi/call_box/tourist_attraction juxtapositions are sold in
large numbers.

Now I feel like a cup of tea.

Bruce

Elliott Roper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> I can imagine an unholy battle erupting if the copyright holder went
>> to any of the London markets where superficially similar spot colour
>> London bus/taxi/call_box/tourist_attraction juxtapositions are sold in
>> large numbers.
>>
>> Now I feel like a cup of tea.

>Would that be with milk and sugar sir? And may we reduce the saturation
>in the background?

I don't know why those prints sell so well. They are so
overwhelmingly clichéd. But they well to London's tourists, to people
from other parts of the UK as well as those from overseas.