Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: OT: London Cops seem to have a $54K time problem

Re: OT: London Cops seem to have a $54K time problem

Pete A

On 2012-01-21 19:01:07 +0000, Chris Malcolm said:

> In rec.photo.digital Pete A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> President Eisenhower expressed shock when he heard that half of all
>> Americans are of below-average intelligence.

> I forget which newly appointed British Minister for Education reported
> the distressing fact that half of Britain's schoolchildren were below
> average in reading and arithmetic and promised to do something about
> it.

The mind boggles

It's absurd that the decisions makers are unable to understand even the
simplest of statistics.

tony cooper

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:49:07 +0000, Pete A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2012-01-21 19:01:07 +0000, Chris Malcolm said:
>
>> In rec.photo.digital Pete A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> President Eisenhower expressed shock when he heard that half of all
>>> Americans are of below-average intelligence.

>> I forget which newly appointed British Minister for Education reported
>> the distressing fact that half of Britain's schoolchildren were below
>> average in reading and arithmetic and promised to do something about
>> it.

>The mind boggles
>
>It's absurd that the decisions makers are unable to understand even the
>simplest of statistics.

The lack of understanding is not because they don't understand
statistics. It's because they don't know what that the IQ figure is
based on variance from a base of 100.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Pete A

On 2012-01-22 04:33:57 +0000, tony cooper said:

> On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:49:07 +0000, Pete A
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I forget which newly appointed British Minister for Education reported
>>> the distressing fact that half of Britain's schoolchildren were below
>>> average in reading and arithmetic and promised to do something about
>>> it.

>> The mind boggles
>>
>> It's absurd that the decisions makers are unable to understand even the
>> simplest of statistics.

> The lack of understanding is not because they don't understand
> statistics. It's because they don't know what that the IQ figure is
> based on variance from a base of 100.

I think you're being overly generous. In my observations, most policy
makers and reporters don't even know that "average" encompasses the
three mathematical terms mean, median, and mode, so it's very unlikely
they will understand what "average" relates to in any characteristic
curve that is skewed from a normal distribution (IQ being an example).
They either use the word "average" through ignorance or for the purpose
of deception. While I would like to think they are clever enough to use
it for deception, we won't know for sure until it becomes mandatory for
them to pass a basic mathematics test before they are accepted into
their role. That ain't likely to happen in the near future.