Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > more problems with target blank

more problems with target blank

thedarkman

> > Amazing these machines don't obey the laws of physics.

> Must be voodoo then.

Back in the days when filenames were limited to 8 letters plus a 3
letter extension, after a crash I had two or more files in the same
directory with the same name, something they said could never happen.

I worked out later what this was. File names could in fact contain
more than 8 letters but anything over the 8 was hidden. I think this
is what they call undocumented DOS.

thedarkman

Okay, let's get this straight, I am NOT some sort of wind up merchant.
I use a 3 colour coding for my site which is overwhelmingly text. Many
such sites are just as prosaic, they are meant to be read, not adored.

We have established I am not using any sort of HTML, so I presume that
means I can omit the DOCTYPE. BARONDOCTYPE would not work, I guess. As
I said, I don't want to use any sort of global template, but take this
short page. Whether or not you like the poem, the puns or neither, it
displays well. It's only with a really long page in Firefox or some
other minor browser that trouble develops.

Without a global template, how can this code be improved? Probably in
a lot of ways in your universe, but how can the display be improved?
If you are content with 3 colours, I would suggest no way.

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>ODE FROM THE FRIESIAN CHURN: a poem by Alexander Baron</TITLE>
</HEAD>

<FONT COLOR=#FF0000>
<H1><i>Ode From The Friesian Churn</i></H1>
<FONT COLOR=#000000>
<b>

[This was written for a punning competition. Sadly the judges didn't
like it as much as I did].

<A HREF="poetry.html"> Back To Poetry Index</A>
</HTML>

Tim Streater

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
thedarkman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Amazing these machines don't obey the laws of physics.

> > Must be voodoo then.

> Back in the days when filenames were limited to 8 letters plus a 3
> letter extension, after a crash I had two or more files in the same
> directory with the same name, something they said could never happen.
>
> I worked out later what this was. File names could in fact contain
> more than 8 letters but anything over the 8 was hidden. I think this
> is what they call undocumented DOS.

Are you a loony or what? Filenames have never been limited to 8 chars
except on one or two crap joke operating systems that by and large I've
managed to avoid.

--
Tim

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
thedarkman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> We have established I am not using any sort of HTML, so I presume that
> means I can omit the DOCTYPE. ...

> This was written for a punning competition.
> Sadly the judges didn't like it as much as I did

You *are* using HTML. Your poem below shows great sensitivity and you
should console yourself with the thought that the judges rejected it
on a mere technicality - like that it is not really very punny.

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <TITLE>ODE FROM THE FRIESIAN CHURN: a poem by Alexander Baron</TITLE>
> </HEAD>
>
> <FONT COLOR=#FF0000>
> <H1><i>Ode From The Friesian Churn</i></H1>
> <FONT COLOR=#000000>
> <b>

dorayme

Tim Streater

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
thedarkman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Okay, let's get this straight, I am NOT some sort of wind up merchant.
> I use a 3 colour coding for my site which is overwhelmingly text. Many
> such sites are just as prosaic, they are meant to be read, not adored.

That may be true but it's no excuse for presenting your stuff in a way
that gives people headaches.

> We have established I am not using any sort of HTML, so I presume that
> means I can omit the DOCTYPE.

No, we've established that you are using html in quirks mode, which
means you have no guarantees as to how it will look. It will vary from
browser to browser.

If you use the trivial doctype:

<!DOCTYPE html>

then you can at a minimum ensure that it'll look the same on all
browsers.

--
Tim

Jonathan N. Little

thedarkman wrote:
> Okay, let's get this straight, I am NOT some sort of wind up merchant.
> I use a 3 colour coding for my site which is overwhelmingly text. Many
> such sites are just as prosaic, they are meant to be read, not adored.
>
> We have established I am not using any sort of HTML, so I presume that
> means I can omit the DOCTYPE.

Apparently we have all been too subtle for you. Your coding is so broken
that is does not conform to any version, you you feel breaking it
further by omitting a DOCTYPE is a solution?

> BARONDOCTYPE would not work, I guess. As
> I said, I don't want to use any sort of global template, but take this
> short page. Whether or not you like the poem, the puns or neither, it
> displays well. It's only with a really long page in Firefox or some
> other minor browser that trouble develops.

No the correct answer is to fix your mistakes and make your markup more
valid, not break it more.

> Without a global template, how can this code be improved? Probably in
> a lot of ways in your universe, but how can the display be improved?
> If you are content with 3 colours, I would suggest no way.

What is your aversion to a global "template" (external css file)? Afraid
is might actually fix your site and make it easier to maintain?

From all your posting it looks like you prefer to have all your poem
titles in red and italic, and you love to center everything. So instead
of peppering every page over and over with FONT, CENTER & I, & B
elements you could add just 1 line in each page's HEAD element

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="poems.css">

and create a text file "poems.css":
/* start of stylesheet */
h1 { color: #ff0000; font-style: italic; text-align: center; }
p { color: #000000; font-weight: bold; text-align: center; }
/* end of stylesheet */

Now you have been told repeatedly that you are NOT closing elements that
REQUIRE closing tags like the FONT & B elements below:

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <TITLE>ODE FROM THE FRIESIAN CHURN: a poem by Alexander Baron</TITLE>
> </HEAD>
>
> <FONT COLOR=#FF0000>
> <H1><i>Ode From The Friesian Churn</i></H1>
> <FONT COLOR=#000000>
> <b>

> [This was written for a punning competition. Sadly the judges didn't
> like it as much as I did].

> <A HREF="poetry.html"> Back To Poetry Index</A>
> </HTML>

Now with the above stylesheet you would get DEPENDABLY what you wish:

<head>
<title>ODE FROM THE FRIESIAN CHURN: a poem by Alexander Baron</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="poems.css">
</head>
<h1>Ode From The Friesian Churn<h1>

My darling Buttercup, how fine though art,<br>
Your beauty so refined, your charm so rare,<br>
For though you're not renowned for being smart,<br>
In all Creation none can match your stare.

You stand entranced in yonder clover field<br>
And gaze magnetically; I feel your pull,<br>
I try to draw away but I must yield<br>
And creep towards you, spellbound, like a bull.

Your nose is big and black and always wet,<br>
Your grace reflects in every moo-ve you make,<br>
I always feel a morsel of regret<br>
And think of you when I eat beef, Miss Steak.

The farmer treats you awfully, my pet,<br>
You're outside in most every kind of weather,<br>
But not to worry, I'll ask my Aunt Bet<br>
To knit a jersey to protect your leather.

You'll wear that, but you'll never wear my ring<br>
Because we're worlds apart, but I'll be true,<br>
I'll never even think of marrying,<br>
And never have no udder love but moo.

[This was written for a punning competition. Sadly the judges didn't
like it as much as I did].

If you later decided you did not what those poem titles in italic but
maybe in small caps and blue not red than all you would have to do it
change ONE file, the stylesheet "poem.css"

/* start of stylesheet */
h1 { color: #0000ff; font-variant: small-caps; text-align: center; }
p { color: #000000; font-weight: bold; text-align: center; }
/* end of stylesheet */

That is it, just one file and ALL your poems on all your pages will now
have blue small caps titles without having to change each and every
document. For poems I might suggest where layout is so important with
spacing like this

A line to the left
but the next offset
maybe a bit here
and here

That you could just make your pages preserve the special spacing like
this:

A line to the left
but the next offset
maybe a bit here
and here

and an one-liner in your stylesheet:

p.freeform { white-space: pre; }

Now if you cannot see the advantage then I would suggest that you should
go away, that you are either incapable or unwilling to do web design and
no one will be able to help you here.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jonathan N. Little

thedarkman wrote:

>>> Amazing these machines don't obey the laws of physics.

>> Must be voodoo then.

> Back in the days when filenames were limited to 8 letters plus a 3
> letter extension, after a crash I had two or more files in the same
> directory with the same name, something they said could never happen.
>
> I worked out later what this was. File names could in fact contain
> more than 8 letters but anything over the 8 was hidden. I think this
> is what they call undocumented DOS.

When? Which version? Not in DOS. What you could do is make a file name
with a character ASCII number > 126 that Windows could not deal with.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Tim Streater <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you use the trivial doctype:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>
>
> then you can at a minimum ensure that it'll look the same on all
> browsers.

Not quite at a minimum, but you are right that it improves your
chances.

--
dorayme

Jukka K. Korpela

2012-01-18 22:30, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Your coding is so broken
> that is does not conform to any version, you you feel breaking it
> further by omitting a DOCTYPE is a solution?

I suppose, and surely hope, that nobody reads this troll-driven thread
seriously and trying to learn. But just in case...

If someone has been writing crappy HTML code that (knowingly or
unknowingly) relies on crappy behavior of old browsers, then *adding* a
conforming DOCTYPE is the thing that would likely break the pages. It
would make browsers run in "standards mode", which is bad if they have
been written for broken mode ("quirks mode").

I have seen pages become literally empty just because a proper DOCTYPE
was added.

The morale is that you should not use proper DOCTYPE if your markup is
not proper.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

P E Schoen

"Jonathan N. Little" wrote in message news:jf7a53$8a4$(E-Mail Removed)...

[huge snip]

> Now if you cannot see the advantage then I would suggest that you
> should go away, that you are either incapable or unwilling to do web
> design and no one will be able to help you here.

I am amazed that people here still continue to respond and try to help "the
darkman". Maybe some perverse curiosity about his latest attempts to
circumvent even the most reasonable conventions of HTML and still complain
about erratic problems? I am also not really up to speed on CSS, but I
realize its power and I use it where I need to. I have some HTML dating back
to 1996 when I was a total newbie, and some of it (maybe most) would not
pass the validator. But for anything I care about (and darkman does seem to
care, at least about himself and his website), I will make the effort to
determine if it passes validation and at least understand why some lines may
not be according to standard, and I may choose to ignore them if they are
not critical. But if there were problems I would certainly fix them so as to
make it validate before I wasted peoples' time with badly broken code, and
ignore or demean their efforts to help.

He certainly gets a lot of attention. Maybe THAT is the issue! This may be
his entire social life!

Paul
www.muttleydog.com