Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > blackout against SOPA and PIPA

blackout against SOPA and PIPA

Peter

Today many websites are protesting against some laws currently being
considered by USA government. Check out these NZ sites;

http://nzoss.org.nz/content/sopa-and...e-full-of-fail

http://creativefreedom.org.nz/stop-sopa.html

For some background, watch the video over here
http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/

Dave Doe

In article <jf4ds5$40a$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Peter
says...

> Today many websites are protesting against some laws currently being
> considered by USA government. Check out these NZ sites;
>
> http://nzoss.org.nz/content/sopa-and...e-full-of-fail
>
> http://creativefreedom.org.nz/stop-sopa.html
>
> For some background, watch the video over here
> http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/

Thanks.

--
Duncan.

Frank Williams

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 12:35:06 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <jf4ds5$40a$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Peter
>says...
>>
>> Today many websites are protesting against some laws currently being
>> considered by USA government. Check out these NZ sites;
>>
>> http://nzoss.org.nz/content/sopa-and...e-full-of-fail
>>
>> http://creativefreedom.org.nz/stop-sopa.html
>>
>> For some background, watch the video over here
>> http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/

>Thanks.

Itís okay folks, the Internet can finally relax as today the highly
controversial SOPA bill was set aside.

http://www.neowin.net/news/internet-...opa-is-shelved

Geopelia

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 12:35:06 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In article <jf4ds5$40a$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Peter
>>says...
>>>
>>> Today many websites are protesting against some laws currently being
>>> considered by USA government. Check out these NZ sites;
>>>
>>> http://nzoss.org.nz/content/sopa-and...e-full-of-fail
>>>
>>> http://creativefreedom.org.nz/stop-sopa.html
>>>
>>> For some background, watch the video over here
>>> http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/

>>Thanks.

> It's okay folks, the Internet can finally relax as today the highly
> controversial SOPA bill was set aside.
>

> http://www.neowin.net/news/internet-...opa-is-shelved

Is our government doing anything like that?

Frank Williams

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:32:41 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 12:35:06 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>In article <jf4ds5$40a$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Peter
>>>says...

>>>Thanks.

>> It's okay folks, the Internet can finally relax as today the highly
>> controversial SOPA bill was set aside.
>>

>> http://www.neowin.net/news/internet-...opa-is-shelved

>Is our government doing anything like that?

All ready has..

Dont use P2P

Peter

Geopelia wrote:
> "Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 12:35:06 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>In article <jf4ds5$40a$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Peter
>>>says...

>> It's okay folks, the Internet can finally relax as today the highly
>> controversial SOPA bill was set aside.
>>
>> http://www.neowin.net/news/internet-...opa-is-shelved

> Is our government doing anything like that?

Previously, the USA has been fairly successful at getting their interests
looked after in various "free" trade agreements (like the one Australia
signed up to a few years back). The current one is TPPA which the NZ
government is negotiating its agreement to.

Unfortunately, the details of the TPPA negotiations are kept secret, so we
don't know if it would be detrimental to NZ or not. But why would they keep
it secret if it was good news for us?
http://tppwatch.org/what-is-tppa/
http://publicaddress.net/speaker/tppa-its-extreme/

Bruce Sinclair

In article <jf5eh1$puh$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 12:35:06 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>In article <jf4ds5$40a$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Peter
>>>says...

>> It's okay folks, the Internet can finally relax as today the highly
>> controversial SOPA bill was set aside.
>> http://www.neowin.net/news/internet-...opa-is-shelved

Perhaps ... but it *will* return in some form. Corporations love it so it
will be back.

>Is our government doing anything like that?

Bet on it. It will be called "trade initiatives" ... or harmonisation or
something similar ... but we can certainly expect to see this kind of thing
here more in the future. And yes, it must be resisted.

Could be worse ... could be doing what India is and colelcting fingerprints
and retinal scans etc from everyone.

Unbelieveable ... though it's not 1 april.

Peter

WorkHard wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>> Geopelia wrote:
>>> "Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Is our government doing anything like that?

>> Previously, the USA has been fairly successful at getting their
>> interests looked after in various "free" trade agreements (like
>> the
>> one Australia signed up to a few years back). The current one
>> is
>> TPPA which the NZ government is negotiating its agreement to.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the details of the TPPA negotiations are kept
>> secret,
>> so we don't know if it would be detrimental to NZ or not. But
>> why
>> would they keep it secret if it was good news for us?
>> http://tppwatch.org/what-is-tppa/
>> http://publicaddress.net/speaker/tppa-its-extreme/

> How can it be "free" trade when there's so many 'hidden' rules,
> regulation and concessions? Any why aren't the public privvy to
> them?
>
> Free-trade it's not.

Yes, they call it a free trade agreement, but it is actually a restricted
trade agreement, with the restrictions in favour of the USA.

Frank Williams

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:14:12 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Frank Williams wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:32:41 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>Is our government doing anything like that?
>>>

>> All ready has..
>>
>> Dont use P2P

>What's wrong with P2P?

I think you know that.

You can be easily traced if you are dnloading copy right files..

turk

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 12:37:33 +1300, Frank Williams wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 12:35:06 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In article <jf4ds5$40a$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Peter
>>says...
>>>
>>> Today many websites are protesting against some laws currently being
>>> considered by USA government. Check out these NZ sites;
>>>
>>> http://nzoss.org.nz/content/sopa-and...e-full-of-fail
>>>
>>> http://creativefreedom.org.nz/stop-sopa.html
>>>
>>> For some background, watch the video over here
>>> http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/

>>Thanks.

> It’s okay folks, the Internet can finally relax as today the highly
> controversial SOPA bill was set aside.
>

> http://www.neowin.net/news/internet-...opa-is-shelved

and do you really think that Hollywood (the MPAA & RIAA) is going to let
this one go?