Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > wake up PC by pressing spacebar

Reply
Thread Tools

wake up PC by pressing spacebar

 
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2012
This has worked on my pc's for years, until ....
I have a few systems and an A-B-C-D switch for monitor/keyboard. Normally
I'm on B for my XP clone. A few weeks ago I used the Lenovo on A.
I've noticed since I'm back on the XP box (on B) that pressing the spacebar
(or mouse) to wake up from either standby or Off only works about 20% of the
time: the other 80% I have to press the power button. I went into BIOS and
played with S1&S3 and mouse vs keyboard to see if any difference. None -
flaky no matter which setting/which device wakes it. Any ideas ?
XP SP3 , Asus A8N-e motherboard


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2012
- Bobb - wrote:
> This has worked on my pc's for years, until ....
> I have a few systems and an A-B-C-D switch for monitor/keyboard. Normally
> I'm on B for my XP clone. A few weeks ago I used the Lenovo on A.
> I've noticed since I'm back on the XP box (on B) that pressing the spacebar
> (or mouse) to wake up from either standby or Off only works about 20% of the
> time: the other 80% I have to press the power button. I went into BIOS and
> played with S1&S3 and mouse vs keyboard to see if any difference. None -
> flaky no matter which setting/which device wakes it. Any ideas ?
> XP SP3 , Asus A8N-e motherboard
>
>


What happens if you swap the wire sets, such that the port B computer
is now on port A (and the port A computer is now on port B) ?

Does it work any better ?

After doing that test, does it look like a KVM problem or a computer problem ?

If moving it helped, it's probably the KVM. Also, keep track of your
wire sets, in case a wire is flaky.

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2012

"- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
news:jesism$j2s$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This has worked on my pc's for years, until ....
> I have a few systems and an A-B-C-D switch for monitor/keyboard. Normally
> I'm on B for my XP clone. A few weeks ago I used the Lenovo on A.
> I've noticed since I'm back on the XP box (on B) that pressing the
> spacebar (or mouse) to wake up from either standby or Off only works about
> 20% of the time: the other 80% I have to press the power button. I went
> into BIOS and played with S1&S3 and mouse vs keyboard to see if any
> difference. None - flaky no matter which setting/which device wakes it.
> Any ideas ?
> XP SP3 , Asus A8N-e motherboard
>

Update:

spacebar DOES work if pc is previously turned OFF.
But doesn't work in standby 90% of the time.
Thoughts on how BIOS "Power" 'should' be set.




 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2012
- Bobb - wrote:
> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
> news:jesism$j2s$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This has worked on my pc's for years, until ....
>> I have a few systems and an A-B-C-D switch for monitor/keyboard. Normally
>> I'm on B for my XP clone. A few weeks ago I used the Lenovo on A.
>> I've noticed since I'm back on the XP box (on B) that pressing the
>> spacebar (or mouse) to wake up from either standby or Off only works about
>> 20% of the time: the other 80% I have to press the power button. I went
>> into BIOS and played with S1&S3 and mouse vs keyboard to see if any
>> difference. None - flaky no matter which setting/which device wakes it.
>> Any ideas ?
>> XP SP3 , Asus A8N-e motherboard
>>

> Update:
>
> spacebar DOES work if pc is previously turned OFF.
> But doesn't work in standby 90% of the time.
> Thoughts on how BIOS "Power" 'should' be set.


If it works when the PC is off, I'm not sure there is
any user control that will help it come out of standby.
That should also work.

It's up to the OS and BIOS together, to put the hardware
in a state where a keypress will wake it up. It could be
a BIOS bug or a chip design bug. (Just like my VIA system
doesn't do S3 suspend to RAM reliably.)

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2012

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jf79qc$450$(E-Mail Removed)...
>- Bobb - wrote:
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>> news:jesism$j2s$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> This has worked on my pc's for years, until ....
>>> I have a few systems and an A-B-C-D switch for monitor/keyboard.
>>> Normally I'm on B for my XP clone. A few weeks ago I used the Lenovo on
>>> A.
>>> I've noticed since I'm back on the XP box (on B) that pressing the
>>> spacebar (or mouse) to wake up from either standby or Off only works
>>> about 20% of the time: the other 80% I have to press the power button. I
>>> went into BIOS and played with S1&S3 and mouse vs keyboard to see if any
>>> difference. None - flaky no matter which setting/which device wakes it.
>>> Any ideas ?
>>> XP SP3 , Asus A8N-e motherboard
>>>

>> Update:
>>
>> spacebar DOES work if pc is previously turned OFF.
>> But doesn't work in standby 90% of the time.
>> Thoughts on how BIOS "Power" 'should' be set.

>
> If it works when the PC is off, I'm not sure there is
> any user control that will help it come out of standby.
> That should also work.
>
> It's up to the OS and BIOS together, to put the hardware
> in a state where a keypress will wake it up. It could be
> a BIOS bug or a chip design bug. (Just like my VIA system
> doesn't do S3 suspend to RAM reliably.)
>
> Paul


If you missed my first post ... It was fine for years on this PC. until a
few weeks ago I switched my KVM to another PC. Next time I used this one the
spacebar power up was flaky.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2012
- Bobb - wrote:
> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jf79qc$450$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> - Bobb - wrote:
>>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>>> news:jesism$j2s$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> This has worked on my pc's for years, until ....
>>>> I have a few systems and an A-B-C-D switch for monitor/keyboard.
>>>> Normally I'm on B for my XP clone. A few weeks ago I used the Lenovo on
>>>> A.
>>>> I've noticed since I'm back on the XP box (on B) that pressing the
>>>> spacebar (or mouse) to wake up from either standby or Off only works
>>>> about 20% of the time: the other 80% I have to press the power button. I
>>>> went into BIOS and played with S1&S3 and mouse vs keyboard to see if any
>>>> difference. None - flaky no matter which setting/which device wakes it.
>>>> Any ideas ?
>>>> XP SP3 , Asus A8N-e motherboard
>>>>
>>> Update:
>>>
>>> spacebar DOES work if pc is previously turned OFF.
>>> But doesn't work in standby 90% of the time.
>>> Thoughts on how BIOS "Power" 'should' be set.

>> If it works when the PC is off, I'm not sure there is
>> any user control that will help it come out of standby.
>> That should also work.
>>
>> It's up to the OS and BIOS together, to put the hardware
>> in a state where a keypress will wake it up. It could be
>> a BIOS bug or a chip design bug. (Just like my VIA system
>> doesn't do S3 suspend to RAM reliably.)
>>
>> Paul

>
> If you missed my first post ... It was fine for years on this PC. until a
> few weeks ago I switched my KVM to another PC. Next time I used this one the
> spacebar power up was flaky.
>
>


Would the KVM be "switched away" from that port ? Perhaps the
reason it doesn't work, is the KVM is pointed at another computer ?

I don't own a KVM, and know nothing of their quirks.

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2012

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jfa80t$qg3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>- Bobb - wrote:
>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:jf79qc$450$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> - Bobb - wrote:
>>>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>>>> news:jesism$j2s$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> This has worked on my pc's for years, until ....
>>>>> I have a few systems and an A-B-C-D switch for monitor/keyboard.
>>>>> Normally I'm on B for my XP clone. A few weeks ago I used the Lenovo
>>>>> on A.
>>>>> I've noticed since I'm back on the XP box (on B) that pressing the
>>>>> spacebar (or mouse) to wake up from either standby or Off only works
>>>>> about 20% of the time: the other 80% I have to press the power button.
>>>>> I went into BIOS and played with S1&S3 and mouse vs keyboard to see if
>>>>> any difference. None - flaky no matter which setting/which device
>>>>> wakes it. Any ideas ?
>>>>> XP SP3 , Asus A8N-e motherboard
>>>>>
>>>> Update:
>>>>
>>>> spacebar DOES work if pc is previously turned OFF.
>>>> But doesn't work in standby 90% of the time.
>>>> Thoughts on how BIOS "Power" 'should' be set.
>>> If it works when the PC is off, I'm not sure there is
>>> any user control that will help it come out of standby.
>>> That should also work.
>>>
>>> It's up to the OS and BIOS together, to put the hardware
>>> in a state where a keypress will wake it up. It could be
>>> a BIOS bug or a chip design bug. (Just like my VIA system
>>> doesn't do S3 suspend to RAM reliably.)
>>>
>>> Paul

>>
>> If you missed my first post ... It was fine for years on this PC. until a
>> few weeks ago I switched my KVM to another PC. Next time I used this one
>> the spacebar power up was flaky.
>>
>>

>
> Would the KVM be "switched away" from that port ? Perhaps the
> reason it doesn't work, is the KVM is pointed at another computer ?
>
> I don't own a KVM, and know nothing of their quirks.
>
> Paul


This box isn't anything fancy - it had ABCD switch on front and 5
video/keyboard connectors : 1 each for A, B, C, D on back and a common one
of each go to my desktop monitor and keyboard.
I'm using it now on B and both work. My suspicion is the pc BIOS, not the
box but I cannot find a simple explanation of S1 & S3 power setting online
as far as the difference in waking it up.
Why one would work with spacebar and other not ?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2012
- Bobb - wrote:
> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jfa80t$qg3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> - Bobb - wrote:
>>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:jf79qc$450$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> - Bobb - wrote:
>>>>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>>>>> news:jesism$j2s$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>> This has worked on my pc's for years, until ....
>>>>>> I have a few systems and an A-B-C-D switch for monitor/keyboard.
>>>>>> Normally I'm on B for my XP clone. A few weeks ago I used the Lenovo
>>>>>> on A.
>>>>>> I've noticed since I'm back on the XP box (on B) that pressing the
>>>>>> spacebar (or mouse) to wake up from either standby or Off only works
>>>>>> about 20% of the time: the other 80% I have to press the power button.
>>>>>> I went into BIOS and played with S1&S3 and mouse vs keyboard to see if
>>>>>> any difference. None - flaky no matter which setting/which device
>>>>>> wakes it. Any ideas ?
>>>>>> XP SP3 , Asus A8N-e motherboard
>>>>>>
>>>>> Update:
>>>>>
>>>>> spacebar DOES work if pc is previously turned OFF.
>>>>> But doesn't work in standby 90% of the time.
>>>>> Thoughts on how BIOS "Power" 'should' be set.
>>>> If it works when the PC is off, I'm not sure there is
>>>> any user control that will help it come out of standby.
>>>> That should also work.
>>>>
>>>> It's up to the OS and BIOS together, to put the hardware
>>>> in a state where a keypress will wake it up. It could be
>>>> a BIOS bug or a chip design bug. (Just like my VIA system
>>>> doesn't do S3 suspend to RAM reliably.)
>>>>
>>>> Paul
>>> If you missed my first post ... It was fine for years on this PC. until a
>>> few weeks ago I switched my KVM to another PC. Next time I used this one
>>> the spacebar power up was flaky.
>>>
>>>

>> Would the KVM be "switched away" from that port ? Perhaps the
>> reason it doesn't work, is the KVM is pointed at another computer ?
>>
>> I don't own a KVM, and know nothing of their quirks.
>>
>> Paul

>
> This box isn't anything fancy - it had ABCD switch on front and 5
> video/keyboard connectors : 1 each for A, B, C, D on back and a common one
> of each go to my desktop monitor and keyboard.
> I'm using it now on B and both work. My suspicion is the pc BIOS, not the
> box but I cannot find a simple explanation of S1 & S3 power setting online
> as far as the difference in waking it up.
> Why one would work with spacebar and other not ?


The Device Manager has the setting. As far as I know, the OS passes this
info to the BIOS, during shutdown. And on my machine here, this even seems
to work, when the BIOS setting for the keyboard is disabled.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8371/wakeup.gif

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2012
Paul,

Please ask some woman nearby to give you a big kiss.
My keyboard- power mgmt box was unchecked.
I don't know how or why it got UNchecked, but it now works.
Thank you.

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jfcjns$cru$(E-Mail Removed)...
>- Bobb - wrote:
>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:jfa80t$qg3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> - Bobb - wrote:
>>>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:jf79qc$450$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> - Bobb - wrote:
>>>>>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>>>>>> news:jesism$j2s$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>>> This has worked on my pc's for years, until ....
>>>>>>> I have a few systems and an A-B-C-D switch for monitor/keyboard.
>>>>>>> Normally I'm on B for my XP clone. A few weeks ago I used the Lenovo
>>>>>>> on A.
>>>>>>> I've noticed since I'm back on the XP box (on B) that pressing the
>>>>>>> spacebar (or mouse) to wake up from either standby or Off only works
>>>>>>> about 20% of the time: the other 80% I have to press the power
>>>>>>> button. I went into BIOS and played with S1&S3 and mouse vs keyboard
>>>>>>> to see if any difference. None - flaky no matter which setting/which
>>>>>>> device wakes it. Any ideas ?
>>>>>>> XP SP3 , Asus A8N-e motherboard
>>>>>>>
>>>>>> Update:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> spacebar DOES work if pc is previously turned OFF.
>>>>>> But doesn't work in standby 90% of the time.
>>>>>> Thoughts on how BIOS "Power" 'should' be set.
>>>>> If it works when the PC is off, I'm not sure there is
>>>>> any user control that will help it come out of standby.
>>>>> That should also work.
>>>>>
>>>>> It's up to the OS and BIOS together, to put the hardware
>>>>> in a state where a keypress will wake it up. It could be
>>>>> a BIOS bug or a chip design bug. (Just like my VIA system
>>>>> doesn't do S3 suspend to RAM reliably.)
>>>>>
>>>>> Paul
>>>> If you missed my first post ... It was fine for years on this PC. until
>>>> a few weeks ago I switched my KVM to another PC. Next time I used this
>>>> one the spacebar power up was flaky.
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Would the KVM be "switched away" from that port ? Perhaps the
>>> reason it doesn't work, is the KVM is pointed at another computer ?
>>>
>>> I don't own a KVM, and know nothing of their quirks.
>>>
>>> Paul

>>
>> This box isn't anything fancy - it had ABCD switch on front and 5
>> video/keyboard connectors : 1 each for A, B, C, D on back and a common
>> one of each go to my desktop monitor and keyboard.
>> I'm using it now on B and both work. My suspicion is the pc BIOS, not the
>> box but I cannot find a simple explanation of S1 & S3 power setting
>> online as far as the difference in waking it up.
>> Why one would work with spacebar and other not ?

>
> The Device Manager has the setting. As far as I know, the OS passes this
> info to the BIOS, during shutdown. And on my machine here, this even seems
> to work, when the BIOS setting for the keyboard is disabled.
>
> http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8371/wakeup.gif
>
> Paul



 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2012
- Bobb - wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Please ask some woman nearby to give you a big kiss.
> My keyboard- power mgmt box was unchecked.
> I don't know how or why it got UNchecked, but it now works.
> Thank you.


YW,
Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wake on LAN / Wake on WAN - how to do it? Netman Computer Information 0 10-28-2011 07:14 PM
Spacebar fails to fire in Firefox 1.5 Nho Whei Firefox 5 01-22-2006 08:05 PM
Wake on LAN "REMOTE WAKE"??? HotRod Wireless Networking 8 05-18-2005 03:17 PM
Power-up on Spacebar or Mouse Toan Le Computer Support 0 02-05-2004 03:46 PM
GoBack - Win98 Machine Stuck on "Press Spacebar" Screen Paul Cross Computer Support 1 12-18-2003 07:33 PM



Advertisments