Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How to copy text from "protected" pages

How to copy text from "protected" pages

Anonymous

How does one select and copy text from Web pages that are setup to
block one from doing this?

I do not care to save entire pages each time.

Captain Paralytic

On Jan 10, 1:19*pm, Anonymous <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How does one select and copy text from Web pages that are setup to
> block one from doing this?
>
> I do not care to save entire pages each time.

Turn Javascript off?
Use a text only browser?
Diagnostic tools?

Jonathan N. Little

Anonymous wrote:
> How does one select and copy text from Web pages that are setup to
> block one from doing this?
>
> I do not care to save entire pages each time.

Just to underscore the *real* fact that only way to "protect" content on
the web is to *not* put it there in the first place, most "protection"
is subverted by disabling JavaScript.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) ci.org>,
Anonymous <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How does one select and copy text from Web pages that are setup to
> block one from doing this?
>
> I do not care to save entire pages each time.

Just do this, it is a guaranteed solution. Post a URL here and
wait. You won't need to wait long. There are more Sherlocks here
(they like to call each other Bruce though) than you can poke a
stick at.

--
dorayme

Anonymous

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>
Evan Platt <evan@*******************************.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 13:19:33 +0000 (UTC), Anonymous
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >How does one select and copy text from Web pages that are setup to
> >block one from doing this?
> >
> >I do not care to save entire pages each time.

> Use a real browser.

Firefox is not a real browser?

> Or, give us an example of a protected page. Likely, it'd be by
> disabling Javascript. or by viewing / saving the source.

Example article: http://www.wnd.com/2012/01/supremes-epa-actions-
outrageous/

(Or any article on the newly changed wnd.com site.)

Disabling Javascript does not do it.

Saving the source involves saving tons of html crud that is
intertwined in the article.

P E Schoen

"Anonymous" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) anoici.org...

> How does one select and copy text from Web pages that are setup
> to block one from doing this?

> I do not care to save entire pages each time.

From a thread in November 2011:

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/o/o...c/secrets.html
>> put the actual lyrics of a song in the source HTML document in
>> escape characters. What’s the purpose of this?

> In a vain attempt to prevent copying the lyrics...

I found that saving it "As HTML" from IE9 converts the escape characters to
plain text, and then you can just extract that (which includes the HTML tags
for formatting).

It is effective for keeping the usual customers from lifting the content
easily.

Paul

Andy

"Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) anoici.org...
> How does one select and copy text from Web pages that are setup to
> block one from doing this?
>
> I do not care to save entire pages each time.

If they're using a script to disable the right-click, just highlight the
text you want to copy and press Ctrl-C to copy and then Ctrl-V to paste.

Andy

Jonathan N. Little

Anonymous wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed) >
> Evan Platt<evan@*******************************.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 13:19:33 +0000 (UTC), Anonymous
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> How does one select and copy text from Web pages that are setup to
>>> block one from doing this?
>>>
>>> I do not care to save entire pages each time.

>> Use a real browser.

> Firefox is not a real browser?
>
>> Or, give us an example of a protected page. Likely, it'd be by
>> disabling Javascript. or by viewing / saving the source.

> Example article: http://www.wnd.com/2012/01/supremes-epa-actions-
> outrageous/
>
> (Or any article on the newly changed wnd.com site.)
>
> Disabling Javascript does not do it.
>
> Saving the source involves saving tons of html crud that is
> intertwined in the article.

What's your problem?

World Net Daily -- Bob Unruh -- 1-9-2012

http://www.wnd.com/2012/01/supremes-...ns-outrageous/

The government’s actions in a dispute between the Environmental
Protection Agency and a husband and wife targeted by the agency when
they bought a residential lot in Idaho and started building their dream
home are both “outrageous” and “very strange.”

There were comments today from justices on the U.S. Supreme Court about
the Environmental Protection Agency’s actions in a fight with Mike and ...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Tim Streater

In article <(E-Mail Removed) ci.org>,
Anonymous <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Example article: http://www.wnd.com/2012/01/supremes-epa-actions-
> outrageous/

Would you be kind enough, in future, to put < and > around URLs such as
this that are likely to spread over two or more lines.

Thank you.

--
Tim

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Anonymous wrote:
>> Example article:

<http://www.wnd.com/2012/01/supremes-epa-actions-outrageous/>

>> (Or any article on the newly changed wnd.com site.)
>>
>> Disabling Javascript does not do it.
>>
>> Saving the source involves saving tons of html crud that is intertwined
>> in the article.

> What's your problem?

None here either, in multiple browsers. Even with JavaScript enabled.
Copy away!!

I will say I copied and pasted in batches, to bypass the intermingled
images, movies, and stuff.

--
-bts