Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Oozing poison

Oozing poison

Victor Bazarov

On 1/12/2012 9:04 AM, AD wrote:
>[..]
> I'm much happier after stopping c++ coding in favor of c++less
> objective c.
> have to use mm extension only when using c++ frameworks such as
> cocos2d
> but that's pretty much it

So, you're not coding in C++, and you come to a C++ community hangout to
complain about C++ being difficult to comprehend, and you expect what,
sympathy? <shrug>

Nick Keighley

On Jan 12, 2:08*pm, AD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 11, 3:36*pm, Leigh Johnston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

> > Posting code snippets of colleague's code and then calling said
> > colleague a "cretin" in a public forum such as this is not very
> > professional.

it's also somewhat subjective

> probably, though as i get older i care much less about being
> "professional" and much more about being true.

predicates are true, people are correct or honest or tactless. Odd
most people grow out of atitudes like yours at about 14.

<snip>

> integrity is a great trait: try to cultivate that for a while to see
> what I mean
>
> honesty is another good one. try telling the customer "this feature is
> more
> than you've paid for, moroever it's likely to turn the codebase
> into an unmaintainable piece of ****" next time you are contracted.

....and you'll never work again

> a while lot of goodwill towards you might be expected on their part.

LOL

> if not they are unreasonable iDiots. Next!

its possible to critique code without being gratuitously rude. It
might be more effective as well

AD

On Jan 12, 4:13*pm, Leigh Johnston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/01/2012 14:08, AD wrote:
>

> > On Jan 11, 3:36 pm, Leigh Johnston<(E-Mail Removed)> *wrote:
> >> Posting code snippets of colleague's code and then calling said
> >> colleague a "cretin" in a public forum such as this is not very
> >> professional.

> > probably, though as i get older i care much less about being
> > "professional"
> > and much more about being true. though the evidence of problems swept
> > under
> > the carpet in the original code does not leave a whole lot of basis to
> > reciprocate
> > on top of

> > integrity is a great trait: try to cultivate that for a while to see
> > what I mean

> > honesty is another good one. try telling the customer "this feature is
> > more
> > than you've paid for, moroever it's likely to turn the codebase
> > into an unmaintainable piece of ****" next time you are contracted.
> > a whole lot of goodwill towards you might be expected on their part.
> > if not they are unreasonable iDiots. Next!

> Still no reason to wash the dirty linen in public; you have to consider
> your company's reputation as well as the customer's. *Be professional

honesty is far more beneficial for the company reputation than
"professionalism"

> and solve such problems in private.

You still don;t understand, don't you?
I would not have had this kind of problems in the first place if there
was no c++ code in that project.
The whole point of my post is to illustrate how shitty of a language c+
+ is.
You can not fix that by subtracting from it (though revving it back to
1.2 or at least 2.0 might
make it marginally usable again. good luck squeezing toothpaste back
into the tube)
and you most certainly can't fixing it by adding more **** into c+
+--11

just jettison this hack of the language and move on to an incompatible
lean and mean offspring.
the industry will be in a much better shape with that load off the
chest

AD

On Jan 12, 5:13*pm, Victor Bazarov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 1/12/2012 9:04 AM, AD wrote:
>
> >[..]
> > I'm much happier after stopping c++ coding in favor of c++less
> > objective c.
> > have to use mm extension only when using c++ frameworks such as
> > cocos2d
> > but that's pretty much it

> So, you're not coding in C++, and you come to a C++ community hangout to
> complain about C++ being difficult to comprehend, and you expect what,
> sympathy? *<shrug>

I'm not coding in C++ ANYMORE
I could not possibly see how it can be used to write robust code

linux kernel developers at one point tried (and failed),
primirily because of the buggy g++ frontend to gcc
and you can really count on your palm c++ compilers that work okay.
(none on *nix systems)
most are full of bugs. when you can't predict how many passes you need
parse code you could just as well scram at that point because
it's an indication of something horrendouzly wrong with the language

but more and more leammings nevertheless insist on their journey to
nowhere

AD

On Jan 13, 12:18*pm, Nick Keighley <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2:08*pm, AD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 11, 3:36*pm, Leigh Johnston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> > > Posting code snippets of colleague's code and then calling said
> > > colleague a "cretin" in a public forum such as this is not very
> > > professional.

> it's also somewhat subjective
>
> > probably, though as i get older i care much less about being
> > "professional" and much more about being true.

> predicates are true, people are correct or honest or tactless. Odd
> most people grow out of atitudes like yours at about 14.
>
> <snip>
>
> > integrity is a great trait: try to cultivate that for a while to see
> > what I mean

> > honesty is another good one. try telling the customer "this feature is
> > more
> > than you've paid for, moroever it's likely to turn the codebase
> > into an unmaintainable piece of ****" next time you are contracted.

> ...and you'll never work again
>
> > a while lot of goodwill towards you might be expected on their part.

> LOL
>
> > if not they are unreasonable iDiots. Next!

> its possible to critique code without being gratuitously rude. It
> might be more effective as well

You are right. Efficiency (as well as my well being) being the primary
concern
I should remember to multiply my estimates by a coefficient that is
tied to the amount of
c++ in the codebase I'm about to inherit

Thank you!
bye bye!

AD

On Jan 10, 11:42*pm, Jorgen Grahn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-01-10, AD wrote:
> > I kid you not, I found this trash in a real project:

> > //Remove texture from the the stack and try to unload from memory
> > void resourceManager:opTexture(const char* nickName)
> > {
> > * *BOOL removed = false;
> > * *for *(std::vector<texture*>::iterator itr = textures.begin(); itr !=
> > textures.end()
> > * *{
> > * * * * * *if ( (*itr)->nickName == nickName )
> > * * * * * *{

> I don't see anything unusually bad about it. I assume there's a itr++
> elsewhere, and that texture::nickName is a std::string.

yes, the person who wrote this code had (erroneously) assumed the same
thing

Henrik Faber

On 17.01.2012 11:08, AD wrote:

> You still don;t understand, don't you?
> I would not have had this kind of problems in the first place if there
> was no c++ code in that project.

Right: Because in C, one could not use "==" to compare two char*. Or in
Python one could not use "is" to compare two strings.

You, Sir, are an enourmous moron.

Best regards,
Henrik

Victor Bazarov

On 1/17/2012 5:19 AM, AD wrote:
> On Jan 12, 5:13 pm, Victor Bazarov<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 1/12/2012 9:04 AM, AD wrote:
>>
>>> [..]
>>> I'm much happier after stopping c++ coding in favor of c++less
>>> objective c.
>>> have to use mm extension only when using c++ frameworks such as
>>> cocos2d
>>> but that's pretty much it

>> So, you're not coding in C++, and you come to a C++ community hangout to
>> complain about C++ being difficult to comprehend, and you expect what,
>> sympathy?<shrug>
>>

> I'm not coding in C++ ANYMORE
> I could not possibly see how it can be used to write robust code
>
> linux kernel developers at one point tried (and failed),
> primirily because of the buggy g++ frontend to gcc
> and you can really count on your palm c++ compilers that work okay.
> (none on *nix systems)
> most are full of bugs. when you can't predict how many passes you need
> parse code you could just as well scram at that point because
> it's an indication of something horrendouzly wrong with the language
>
> but more and more leammings nevertheless insist on their journey to
> nowhere

....and you're standing nearby shouting at them and hoping they're going
to listen? What are you trying to accomplish? Save the world? Get a
life. Sounds like you really would like to come back to C++ but since
you spent too much time already away from it, your grip on it (however
weak it was before) is slipping even further, and it makes you very
annoyed, irritated and angry. If it's not for you, give it up, don't
waste your time. And ours.

Miles Bader

AD <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> So, you're not coding in C++, and you come to a C++ community hangout to
>> complain about C++ being difficult to comprehend, and you expect what,
>> sympathy? *<shrug>
>>

> I'm not coding in C++ ANYMORE
> I could not possibly see how it can be used to write robust code

You expect us to trust your judgement?

[I've found C++ _much_ easier to write robust code in compared to C.
It is clearly no proof against incompetent coders (nothing is), but it
does offer some really good tools to help competent ones...]

-miles

--
Bacchus, n. A convenient deity invented by the ancients as an excuse for
getting drunk.

AD

On Jan 18, 6:51*am, Miles Bader <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> AD <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >> So, you're not coding in C++, and you come to a C++ community hangout to
> >> complain about C++ being difficult to comprehend, and you expect what,
> >> sympathy? *<shrug>

> > I'm not coding in C++ ANYMORE
> > I could not possibly see how it can be used to write robust code

> You expect us to trust your judgement?
>
> [I've found C++ _much_ easier to write robust code in compared to C.
> It is clearly no proof against incompetent coders (nothing is), but it
> does offer some really good tools to help competent ones...]

Well, objective-c (and it's inherent to all c based languages, unless
you start ripping out pointers, etc) is prone to allowing a single fly-
idiot
poisoning the whole barrel, and java like languages
were designed precisely to keep idiots at bay, but c++ seems to be
especially
susceptible to providing morons with tools to automate
writing some crap code.

poison ivy W.Henry Computer Support 34 07-14-2006 02:00 AM
Poison pics show up online: Another MS problem. John Computer Security 5 10-09-2004 01:15 PM
Re: Poison pics show up online: Another MS problem. John E. Carty Computer Security 0 10-04-2004 12:48 AM

Advertisments