Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > w32time uninstall

w32time uninstall

miso

Lots of hints out there to install w32time. The only help I find to
uninstall are related to vmware. To install w32time, I had to hack the
registry, so I assume there is a procedure to get it back...hopefully.

I want to set up Meinberg NTP, but don't want two programs doing the
same task.

Steve Foster

miso wrote:

> Lots of hints out there to install w32time. The only help I find to
> uninstall are related to vmware. To install w32time, I had to hack
> the registry, so I assume there is a procedure to get it
> back...hopefully.
>
> I want to set up Meinberg NTP, but don't want two programs doing the
> same task.

The Windows Time Service (to give w32time its full title) is a core
part of Windows, and is neither installable nor uninstallable.

If you don't want to use it, just use the Services MMC to disable it
(or SC.exe from the command line).

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:

miso

On 1/10/2012 3:14 AM, Steve Foster wrote:
> miso wrote:
>
>> Lots of hints out there to install w32time. The only help I find to
>> uninstall are related to vmware. To install w32time, I had to hack
>> the registry, so I assume there is a procedure to get it
>> back...hopefully.
>>
>> I want to set up Meinberg NTP, but don't want two programs doing the
>> same task.

> The Windows Time Service (to give w32time its full title) is a core
> part of Windows, and is neither installable nor uninstallable.
>
> If you don't want to use it, just use the Services MMC to disable it
> (or SC.exe from the command line).

Gotcha. I found it under administrative tools, though services wasn't
listed in the control panel.

sc.exe seem to bring up an on screen keyboard.

Steve Foster

miso wrote:

> On 1/10/2012 3:14 AM, Steve Foster wrote:
> > miso wrote:
> >
> > > Lots of hints out there to install w32time. The only help I find
> > > to uninstall are related to vmware. To install w32time, I had to
> > > hack the registry, so I assume there is a procedure to get it
> > > back...hopefully.
> > >
> > > I want to set up Meinberg NTP, but don't want two programs doing
> > > the same task.

> > The Windows Time Service (to give w32time its full title) is a core
> > part of Windows, and is neither installable nor uninstallable.
> >
> > If you don't want to use it, just use the Services MMC to disable it
> > (or SC.exe from the command line).
> >

> Gotcha. I found it under administrative tools, though services wasn't
> listed in the control panel.

The Services MMC is an Administrative Tool, not part of Control Panel.

> sc.exe seem to bring up an on screen keyboard.

SC.exe is for use in a CMD window. If you searched for SC in the Start
Menu, I'm not sure what would have come up (the on-screen keyboard is
OSK.exe).