Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why no lens turret accessory for the compact ILC's?

Why no lens turret accessory for the compact ILC's?

RichA

For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
camera hang by the strap.
Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
turrets?

David Dyer-Bennet

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
> f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
> to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
> camera hang by the strap.
> Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
> turrets?

Yahbut, those lenses were an in to 1.5 inches in diameter and the
relatively LONG ones were 3 inches long -- AND movie cameras tend to
live on tripods, not hanging from straps.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Irwell

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 16:34:28 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
>> f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
>> to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
>> camera hang by the strap.
>> Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
>> turrets?

> Yahbut, those lenses were an in to 1.5 inches in diameter and the
> relatively LONG ones were 3 inches long -- AND movie cameras tend to
> live on tripods, not hanging from straps.

The C mount ones for home movies were a bit smaller,
there are c-mount adapters for mft's.

RichA

On Jan 9, 5:34*pm, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > For legacy lenses. *Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
> > f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. *All you'd have
> > to do is turret the lens you want into position! *Just don't let the
> > camera hang by the strap. *
> > Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
> > turrets?

> Yahbut, those lenses were an in to 1.5 inches in diameter and the
> relatively LONG ones were 3 inches long -- AND movie cameras tend to
> live on tripods, not hanging from straps.

You have to admit, it would be a unique accessory!

David J Taylor

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
> f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
> to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
> camera hang by the strap.
> Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
> turrets?

Today's zoom lenses obviate the need, and don't limit you to fixed focal
lengths. Easier to get the shot right in the camera.

David

David Dyer-Bennet

Irwell <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 16:34:28 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
>>> f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
>>> to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
>>> camera hang by the strap.
>>> Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
>>> turrets?

>> Yahbut, those lenses were an in to 1.5 inches in diameter and the
>> relatively LONG ones were 3 inches long -- AND movie cameras tend to
>> live on tripods, not hanging from straps.

> The C mount ones for home movies were a bit smaller,
> there are c-mount adapters for mft's.

I think the mount for 8mm was called "D". I'm thinking of 16mm lenses I
used on turrets on a Bolex, back in highschool.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, (E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
>> f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
>> to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
>> camera hang by the strap.
>> Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
>> turrets?

> Today's zoom lenses obviate the need, and don't limit you to fixed
> focal lengths. Easier to get the shot right in the camera.

Yeah, but have you handled the Zeiss 10-100/1.8 for 16mm? I think it
weighs more than 10 times the sum of the weights of the primes
mentioned.

Also I was told (in 1994, when we were using a rental one on a no-budget
feature I was assistant camera operator for) that the Zeiss was worth
$25,000, which could kind of limit owning one.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, (E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Bruce

David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
>>> f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
>>> to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
>>> camera hang by the strap.
>>> Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
>>> turrets?

>> Today's zoom lenses obviate the need, and don't limit you to fixed
>> focal lengths. Easier to get the shot right in the camera.

>Yeah, but have you handled the Zeiss 10-100/1.8 for 16mm? I think it
>weighs more than 10 times the sum of the weights of the primes
>mentioned.
>
>Also I was told (in 1994, when we were using a rental one on a no-budget
>feature I was assistant camera operator for) that the Zeiss was worth
>$25,000, which could kind of limit owning one.

I think David Taylor is reverting to his usual habit of justifying
(probably to himself) his own choice of a very mediocre consumer-grade
11X zoom lens on an obsolescent consumer-grade DSLR.

He has no experience of high quality zoom lenses, therefore they do
not exist.

David J Taylor

> Yeah, but have you handled the Zeiss 10-100/1.8 for 16mm? I think it
> weighs more than 10 times the sum of the weights of the primes
> mentioned.
>
> Also I was told (in 1994, when we were using a rental one on a no-budget
> feature I was assistant camera operator for) that the Zeiss was worth
> $25,000, which could kind of limit owning one.
> --
> David Dyer-Bennet, (E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/

Well, if you need such large apertures, zooms wouldn't be the way to go!
I still don't see turrets catching on though, do you?

Cheers,
David

David J Taylor

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> I think David Taylor is reverting to his usual habit of justifying
> (probably to himself) his own choice of a very mediocre consumer-grade
> 11X zoom lens on an obsolescent consumer-grade DSLR.
>
> He has no experience of high quality zoom lenses, therefore they do
> not exist.

How about discussing the topic in hand rather than repeating your personal
attacks? Do you see turrets catching on?