Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why no lens turret accessory for the compact ILC's?

Why no lens turret accessory for the compact ILC's?

RichA

On Jan 10, 1:05*pm, "David J Taylor" <david-
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Yeah, but have you handled the Zeiss 10-100/1.8 for 16mm? *I think it
> > weighs more than 10 times the sum of the weights of the primes
> > mentioned.

> > Also I was told (in 1994, when we were using a rental one on a no-budget
> > feature I was assistant camera operator for) that the Zeiss was worth
> > $25,000, which could kind of limit owning one.
> > --
> > David Dyer-Bennet, (E-Mail Removed);http://dd-b.net/

> Well, if you need such large apertures, zooms wouldn't be the way to go!
> I still don't see turrets catching on though, do you?
>
> Cheers,
> David

I put this suggestion up as a joke, but I can see it working for
some. For the Nikon V or the M4/3rds cameras, a turret with;
Pentax 110 18mm
Pentax 110 24mm
Pentax 110 50mm

Would be usable, if a tad awkward. All those lenses will support the
sensor sizes of the cameras mentioned.
The turret discs would need to be 2.5" across to accomodate the
lenses. The total weight would be about the same as a normal FF 50mm
f1.4 metal prime.
A think sheet of teflon between the discs would facilitate rotation
and a spring/ball bearing and detented stops would work to register
each lens step. If you made the discs a little larger 3.5", you could
fit four lenses.

Bruce

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Do you see turrets catching on?

Not when 99% of people are happy with their junk zooms.

David J Taylor

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Do you see turrets catching on?

> Not when 99% of people are happy with their junk zooms.

LOL!

David J Taylor

"George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CB3231D4.7EE3A%(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 1/9/12 2:56 PM, in article
> c9a06894-30d5-4b9a-9666-411ace26ee1e...oglegroups.com,
> "RichA"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
>> f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
>> to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
>> camera hang by the strap.
>> Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
>> turrets?

> Most television studio camera thru the 60's were just like that.
>
> BTW: Will we have to wind it up as well?

Yes, that was 50 years ago. Today they use zoom lenses - quite large and
expensive ones, though!

Cheers,
David

David J Taylor

"George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CB3232FA.7EE3B%(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 1/10/12 1:51 AM, in article jegql6$8d9$(E-Mail Removed), "David J
> Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
>>> f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
>>> to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
>>> camera hang by the strap.
>>> Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
>>> turrets?

>> Today's zoom lenses obviate the need, and don't limit you to fixed
>> focal
>> lengths. Easier to get the shot right in the camera.
>>
>> David
>>

> But think of the looks that you would get, LOL!

Well, that /someone/ would get. Not me.
Rich/RichA when he makes his turret, perhaps?

Bruce

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:CB3232FA.7EE3B%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> On 1/10/12 1:51 AM, in article jegql6$8d9$(E-Mail Removed), "David J
>> Taylor"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Today's zoom lenses obviate the need, and don't limit you to fixed
>>> focal
>>> lengths. Easier to get the shot right in the camera.
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>> But think of the looks that you would get, LOL!

>Well, that /someone/ would get. Not me.
>Rich/RichA when he makes his turret, perhaps?

Mention of lens turrets made me think of the opening credits of the
long-lived BBC TV "Grandstand" sports programme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FUdpqLLxPM

Watch for the camera that appears at 0:20, and enjoy!

David J Taylor

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> Mention of lens turrets made me think of the opening credits of the
> long-lived BBC TV "Grandstand" sports programme:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FUdpqLLxPM
>
> Watch for the camera that appears at 0:20, and enjoy!

... and a turret camera used to be one of the BBC competition prizes -
possible Sports Personality. I don't know if it still is....

David

Bruce

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>[]
>> Mention of lens turrets made me think of the opening credits of the
>> long-lived BBC TV "Grandstand" sports programme:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FUdpqLLxPM
>>
>> Watch for the camera that appears at 0:20, and enjoy!

>.. and a turret camera used to be one of the BBC competition prizes -
>possible Sports Personality.

Yes, I think you're right.

>I don't know if it still is....

Doubtful.

Bruce

Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>[]
>>> Mention of lens turrets made me think of the opening credits of the
>>> long-lived BBC TV "Grandstand" sports programme:
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FUdpqLLxPM
>>>
>>> Watch for the camera that appears at 0:20, and enjoy!

>>.. and a turret camera used to be one of the BBC competition prizes -
>>possible Sports Personality.

>Yes, I think you're right.
>

>>I don't know if it still is....

>Doubtful.

But once again, you're right:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Spo...ty_of_the_Year

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, bugbear
<bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

> > For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
> > f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
> > to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
> > camera hang by the strap.
> > Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
> > turrets?

> Didn't Kodak make a digital with multiple lenses on a rotating
> mount?

someone makes a turret attachment for the iphone

<http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/iphone-lens-dial/>