Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > An "alternative" to Learning Perl

An "alternative" to Learning Perl

Sebastian Rooks

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me. I'm looking for a python
introductory book, kind of like Learning Python only smaller (?!)
The thing is, I travel to and from work each day for about 1,5h in each
direction, and do most of my reading on the train :\

(seriously)

And I can't find one (just one) python book shorter than 500 pages that
is worth its weight in salt.

Anyone know of any, any at all?

All suggestions welcomed!

-- Sebastian

Sean Wolfe

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Sebastian Rooks
<(E-Mail Removed)_o_m> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering if you could help me. I'm looking for a python
> introductory book, kind of like Learning Python only smaller (?!)
> The thing is, I travel to and from work each day for about 1,5h in each
> direction, and do most of my reading on the train :\
>
> (seriously)
>
> And I can't find one (just one) python book shorter than 500 pages that
> is worth its weight in salt.
>
> Anyone know of any, any at all?
>
> All suggestions welcomed!
>
> -- Sebastian
> --

kindle? ipad? tablet?
also there is python programming for the absolute beginner, which is
agreat book but it's pretty beginner. But well written. At least
Iliked it.http://www.amazon.com/Python-Program.../dp/1435455002
Also byte of python ... I think there's a hardcover version you can
buyhttp://www.swaroopch.com/buybook/

Sebastian Rooks

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 00:55:22 -0300, Sean Wolfe <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>kindle? ipad? tablet?

I'm interested in books, not files ...
(seriously, now ... I don't have any of those devices)

>also there is python programming for the absolute beginner, which is
>agreat book but it's pretty beginner. But well written. At least
>Iliked it.http://www.amazon.com/Python-Program.../dp/1435455002
>Also byte of python ... I think there's a hardcover version you can
>buyhttp://www.swaroopch.com/buybook/

I think I saw that second one somewhere already. I'll check out the
first link, also. Thanks!

-- Sebastian

Sean Wolfe

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Sebastian Rooks
<(E-Mail Removed)_o_m> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 00:55:22 -0300, Sean Wolfe <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>kindle? ipad? tablet?

> I'm interested in books, not files ...
> (seriously, now ... I don't have any of those devices)
>
>>also there is python programming for the absolute beginner, which is
>>agreat book but it's pretty beginner. But well written. At least
>>Iliked it.http://www.amazon.com/Python-Program.../dp/1435455002
>>Also byte of python ... I think there's a hardcover version you can
>>buyhttp://www.swaroopch.com/buybook/

> I think I saw that second one somewhere already. I'll check out the
> first link, also. Thanks!

Yeah I hear you, I moved to Argentina from the US this year and my
ipad + kindle app has been great. I can buy lots of books which I
can't get down here and get access to them immediately, and I can
carry a whole library in my backpack. So +1 if you are thinking about
it. I like physical books as well but the portability factor is
awesome.