Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D4 announced! Also AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G

Nikon D4 announced! Also AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G

Bruce

Posted without comment:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched

Nikon has announced the D4, its latest professional DSLR. The 16MP
full-frame camera is capable of shooting at 10 frames per second with
full autofocus. In addition to a host of ergonomic improvements, the
D4 also sees the expansion of its video capabilities, to the extent
that Nikon is describing it as a 'multi-media DSLR.' The cameras gains
an Ethernet port, a 91,000 pixel metering sensor and an uprated AF
sensor that can work in lower light and with smaller aperture lenses.
Its sensitivity range can be expanded to the equivalent of ISO 204,800
and adds illuminated controls to make it easier to work in the
low-light situations in which such a setting becomes useful. The D4
also becomes the first camera to make use of the XQD memory card
format.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01...Nikkor_AFS85mm

Nikon has launched the AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 G, an updated version of
its popular moderate telephoto prime lens. The AF-S version of the
lens is a completely new optical design and features a built-in
focusing motor to allow it to autofocus on all Nikon DSLRs. The lens
features an internal focus design and 7 rounded aperture blades. It
can focus down to a distance of 80cm (2.6ft). The lens will be
available from March 2012 for a price of around $499.

David J Taylor

>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched
[]
> Now that is impressive!
> My only regrets are, it is waaay more camera than my over-ambitious ego
> needs to serve out my retirement, and my wallet, which could not justify
> a D3s, has forbidden me from even considering such a purchase.
> So I will have to remain content with my D300s, a lottery win, not
> withstanding.

[]
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Yes, it's not a camera I will be lusting after! Far too big and heavy for
my needs, but I will be interested in the reviews. Had not heard of the
XQD memory card format before - I see Sony have one of the first.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-57...-compactflash/

Cheers,
David

RichA

On Jan 6, 12:01*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Posted without comment:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched
>
> Nikon has announced the D4, its latest professional DSLR. The 16MP
> full-frame camera is capable of shooting at 10 frames per second with
> full autofocus. In addition to a host of ergonomic improvements, the
> D4 also sees the expansion of its video capabilities, to the extent
> that Nikon is describing it as a 'multi-media DSLR.' The cameras gains
> an Ethernet port, a 91,000 pixel metering sensor and an uprated AF
> sensor that can work in lower light and with smaller aperture lenses.
> Its sensitivity range can be expanded to the equivalent of ISO 204,800
> and adds illuminated controls to make it easier to work in the
> low-light situations in which such a setting becomes useful. The D4
> also becomes the first camera to make use of the XQD memory card
> format.

They better hope the XQD amounts to something, otherwise that camera
will have two slots for memory (QXD and CF) served by a smaller and
smaller offering. We may see the demise of CF this year. I guess
they couldn't get the XQD technology into an SD body?

David Dyer-Bennet

Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

> On 2012-01-05 21:01:19 -0800, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Posted without comment:
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched
>>
>> Nikon has announced the D4, its latest professional DSLR. The 16MP
>> full-frame camera is capable of shooting at 10 frames per second with
>> full autofocus. In addition to a host of ergonomic improvements, the
>> D4 also sees the expansion of its video capabilities, to the extent
>> that Nikon is describing it as a 'multi-media DSLR.' The cameras gains
>> an Ethernet port, a 91,000 pixel metering sensor and an uprated AF
>> sensor that can work in lower light and with smaller aperture lenses.
>> Its sensitivity range can be expanded to the equivalent of ISO 204,800
>> and adds illuminated controls to make it easier to work in the
>> low-light situations in which such a setting becomes useful. The D4
>> also becomes the first camera to make use of the XQD memory card
>> format.

> Now that is impressive!
> My only regrets are, it is waaay more camera than my over-ambitious
> ego needs to serve out my retirement, and my wallet, which could not
> justify a D3s, has forbidden me from even considering such a purchase.
> So I will have to remain content with my D300s, a lottery win, not
> withstanding.

Yes, there's lots of great stuff. Including one of the "obvious" ideas
that nobody has done all these years, that's simple software: you can
now set the minimum shutter speed to cause auto-ISO increase in terms of
the focal length of the mounted lens, including offsets (if you think
you can hold more or less well than default 1/length).

I don't anticipate ever buying one either. By top pro DSLR standards
it's not exceptionally expensive -- but I'm not a top pro (or any other
sort).

>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01...Nikkor_AFS85mm
>>
>> Nikon has launched the AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 G, an updated version of
>> its popular moderate telephoto prime lens. The AF-S version of the
>> lens is a completely new optical design and features a built-in
>> focusing motor to allow it to autofocus on all Nikon DSLRs. The lens
>> features an internal focus design and 7 rounded aperture blades. It
>> can focus down to a distance of 80cm (2.6ft). The lens will be
>> available from March 2012 for a price of around $499.

> Nice, and it remained quite affordable.

Huh; I'm using an old 85/1.8 AF, and that cost $250 (used); so indeed,
not a high price for a newly-release AF-S lens.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Robert Coe

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 05:22:02 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Jan 6, 12:01*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > Posted without comment:
: >
[...]
:
:
: They better hope the XQD amounts to something, otherwise that camera
: will have two slots for memory (QXD and CF) served by a smaller and
: smaller offering. We may see the demise of CF this year. ...

Nonsense.

Bob

Bruce

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : They better hope the XQD amounts to something, otherwise that

camera
> : will have two slots for memory (QXD and CF) served by a smaller

and
> : smaller offering. We may see the demise of CF this year. ...
>

> Nonsense.

I tend to agree. I am yet to be convinced that XQD will have the
same support in the marketplace as Compact Flash.

Bruce

> 16GB = $129
> 32GB = $229

Eek!

> I believe CF will live on a while longer.

Absolutely. I wonder if Nikon will offer a conversion to 2 x CF.

John McWilliams

On 1/6/12 PDT 4:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-01-06 15:55:57 -0800, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>> I tend to agree. I am yet to be convinced that XQD will have the same
>> support in the marketplace as Compact Flash.

> 16GB = $129
> 32GB = $229
> I believe CF will live on a while longer.
> Does any body remember that legendary Sony recording medium Betamax?

Oh, yes. Good technology trumped by marketing.

As to CF cards- since my new MacBook Air has an SD slot, it'd be nice if
there were a CF adaptor that'd hold SD cards (I already have an adaptor
SD-mini or micro SD). Can someone recommend a brand?

David Dyer-Bennet

Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

> Does any body remember that legendary Sony recording medium Betamax?

I still have a working Beta deck. I never did own a VHS recorder.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, (E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/

John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 1/6/12 PDT 4:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2012-01-06 15:55:57 -0800, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>>
>>> I tend to agree. I am yet to be convinced that XQD will have the same
>>> support in the marketplace as Compact Flash.

>> 16GB = $129
>> 32GB = $229
>> I believe CF will live on a while longer.
>> Does any body remember that legendary Sony recording medium Betamax?

> Oh, yes. Good technology trumped by marketing.
>
> As to CF cards- since my new MacBook Air has an SD slot, it'd be nice
> if there were a CF adaptor that'd hold SD cards (I already have an
> adaptor SD-mini or micro SD). Can someone recommend a brand?

I went through this trying to get an Eye-Fi card working in my D700. So
far as I can tell, a type-1 CF adatper that holds SD can't be built --
there isn't sufficient thickness. A type-2 adapter is possible, but my
D700 and the D4 don't support the thicker version.

You could probably do one for micro-sd -- but that doesn't help me with
Eye-Fi.