Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Freeview to Go.!

Freeview to Go.!

Geopelia

"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Trackside is on the digital platform CH 11 and has been for a while..
>>>
>>> Time to do a rescan..

>>Without Sky or a box on top of the set, how could I do that? I'd have to
>>get
>>the TV man to do it anyway.
>>

> Your going to be in the poo when analog is turned off aren't you..

Don't we all have to get a box then?

Geopelia

"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:50:11 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> Of it's genre, I suppose it was.

>>Much public education in Britain has sadly declined since the Grammar
>>Schools went Comprehensive.
>>Perhaps the dumbing down has affected the kind of program that has wide
>>appeal.

> Two of my nephews were educated at Harrrow, and you really can't get
> much more "grammar" than that. They are now in their early 40s and,
> as the saying goes, "have done well for themselves". Both are 100%
> bereft of any learning or interest in literature, history, music or
> art and their expensive, sterile homes reflect it in spades: chrome
> and white in the kitchen, nothing but formulaic shoot-'em-up movies in
> the living-room DVD rack. Be it in conversation or a poorly spelt
> e-mail neither is capable of constructing an elegant sentence.
>
> Both nephews are, in essence, "Essex boys" who converse in "public
> school posh". Groomed as Harrow does, they have grown into a
> middle-age money world where knowing the right people is really all
> that counts. Nice guys both, wealthy and brand-loyal to a fault, yet
> "unformed", embarrassingly ignorant, philistine and unworldly. Both
> are well-travelled but they have not one single word or phrase of a
> foreign language between them.
>
> Summed up, they have absolutely no intellectual curiosity whatever -
> crabbed, one-dimensional, minds - television fodder.
>
> Their parents are imensely proud of them both.
>>
>>Take a good look at Coronation Street over that time. It used to be an
>>intelligent look at Midlands working class life, with believable
>>characters.
>>Now it's just another rather far fetched soapie.

> It's called "satisfying expectations" which are plainly sinking lower
> with each passing day.

Harrow is like Eton, a Public School, which in Britain means a very
expensive private one.

The Grammar Schools in the public education system had a curriculum to
follow, and before O levels came in the School Certificate had set subjects.
A pass was required in certain compulsory ones - English, maths, a science,
a language etc. Latin was required for entry to Oxford in my day, and the
grammar schools taught that, too.
From the third form up, everything was geared to getting as many pupils as
possible through School Certificate, preferably with Matriculation
Exemption.

Any child who could pass the eleven plus exam could go to Grammar School.
One sad thing about that was that the school opened a window to a world
where a poor child might not be able to pass through the door.

The great Public Schools offer an enormous number of subjects, sports and
opportunities for the lucky pupils, and if your nephews failed to take
advantage of them it is not the fault of the school. Perhaps your family did
not encourage the boys to take up their various interests, or to did not
have the means to pay for all the extras.

Some parents just about bankrupt themselves to send a child to Public
School, for what they consider the social advantages of mixing with the
upper class. Unfortunately for them, the upper class close ranks (especially
in the girls' schools) and freeze out the interlopers.

Aren't we lucky here to be living in a classless society!

-Newsman-

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 14:44:35 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:50:11 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>>Much public education in Britain has sadly declined since the Grammar
>>>Schools went Comprehensive.
>>>Perhaps the dumbing down has affected the kind of program that has wide
>>>appeal.

>> Two of my nephews were educated at Harrrow, and you really can't get
>> much more "grammar" than that. They are now in their early 40s and,
>> as the saying goes, "have done well for themselves". Both are 100%
>> bereft of any learning or interest in literature, history, music or
>> art and their expensive, sterile homes reflect it in spades: chrome
>> and white in the kitchen, nothing but formulaic shoot-'em-up movies in
>> the living-room DVD rack. Be it in conversation or a poorly spelt
>> e-mail neither is capable of constructing an elegant sentence.
>>
>> Both nephews are, in essence, "Essex boys" who converse in "public
>> school posh". Groomed as Harrow does, they have grown into a
>> middle-age money world where knowing the right people is really all
>> that counts. Nice guys both, wealthy and brand-loyal to a fault, yet
>> "unformed", embarrassingly ignorant, philistine and unworldly. Both
>> are well-travelled but they have not one single word or phrase of a
>> foreign language between them.
>>
>> Summed up, they have absolutely no intellectual curiosity whatever -
>> crabbed, one-dimensional, minds - television fodder.
>>
>> Their parents are imensely proud of them both.
>>>
>>>Take a good look at Coronation Street over that time. It used to be an
>>>intelligent look at Midlands working class life, with believable
>>>characters.
>>>Now it's just another rather far fetched soapie.

>> It's called "satisfying expectations" which are plainly sinking lower
>> with each passing day.

>Harrow is like Eton, a Public School, which in Britain means a very
>expensive private one.
>
>The Grammar Schools in the public education system had a curriculum to
>follow, and before O levels came in the School Certificate had set subjects.
>A pass was required in certain compulsory ones - English, maths, a science,
>a language etc. Latin was required for entry to Oxford in my day, and the
>grammar schools taught that, too.

You're only recounting my own early history; my father was a grammar
school teacher.

Harrow and Eton follow the state school GCSE O-level A-level
curriculum. But unlike the state system the purpose of both is to
ensure a steady supply of conformist, clubbable alumni to fill
top-smell positions in the public service and the army, both of which
are truly exclusive outfits in every sense of the word. "Born to
rule" pervades all.

>From the third form up, everything was geared to getting as many pupils as
>possible through School Certificate, preferably with Matriculation
>Exemption.
>
>Any child who could pass the eleven plus exam could go to Grammar School.
>One sad thing about that was that the school opened a window to a world
>where a poor child might not be able to pass through the door.
>
>The great Public Schools offer an enormous number of subjects, sports and
>opportunities for the lucky pupils, and if your nephews failed to take
>advantage of them it is not the fault of the school. Perhaps your family did
>not encourage the boys to take up their various interests, or to did not
>have the means to pay for all the extras.

Silk purse, sow's ear.

>Some parents just about bankrupt themselves to send a child to Public
>School, for what they consider the social advantages of mixing with the
>upper class. Unfortunately for them, the upper class close ranks (especially
>in the girls' schools) and freeze out the interlopers.

Nothing like that now. It's all about money. In fact, in the 1980's
at Harrow on Speeches Day, I actually stood and watched in some
amusement as cabinet ministers and scrap metal merchants queued up to
surreptitiously squeeze their plain brown envelopes of the folding
stuff through the Housemaster's letterbox to pay cash (nod and a wink)
for theirs sons' upcoming term.

>Aren't we lucky here to be living in a classless society!

Really?

Frank Williams

wrote:

> [...]

>One sad thing about that was that the school opened a window to a world
>where a poor child might not be able to pass through the door.
>
>The great Public Schools offer an enormous number of subjects, sports and
>opportunities for the lucky pupils, and if your nephews failed to take
>advantage of them it is not the fault of the school. Perhaps your family did
>not encourage the boys to take up their various interests, or to did not
>have the means to pay for all the extras.
>
>Some parents just about bankrupt themselves to send a child to Public
>School, for what they consider the social advantages of mixing with the
>upper class. Unfortunately for them, the upper class close ranks (especially
>in the girls' schools) and freeze out the interlopers.
>
>Aren't we lucky here to be living in a classless society!

Totally Utter Rot..

Don't for get that UK Public Schools are totally FREE you don't
provide a thing, and these are stacks of other Exam levels ,
Polytechnic schools exams taken from memory around 14 year , also City
and Guilds and RSA royal society of arts..

Richard

On 1/11/2012 1:31 PM, Geopelia wrote:

>>> Without Sky or a box on top of the set, how could I do that? I'd have to
>>> get
>>> the TV man to do it anyway.
>>>

>> Your going to be in the poo when analog is turned off aren't you..

> Don't we all have to get a box then?

Or replace the TV since they all have freeview built in these days
except a few offbrand ones that are reduced to clear at some retailers.

Frank Williams

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 21:11:29 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Your going to be in the poo when analog is turned off aren't you..

>> Don't we all have to get a box then?

>Or replace the TV since they all have freeview built in these days
>except a few offbrand ones that are reduced to clear at some retailers.

Yes who would want to watch Freeview on a old claped out CRT TV thats
only a 4:3 sceen and 480 lines, when you cant watch 16:9 and 720
lines..

victor

On 11/01/2012 10:24 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:

>>> Don't we all have to get a box then?

>> Or replace the TV since they all have freeview built in these days
>> except a few offbrand ones that are reduced to clear at some retailers.
>>

> Yes who would want to watch Freeview on a old claped out CRT TV thats
> only a 4:3 sceen and 480 lines, when you cant watch 16:9 and 720
> lines..

But there isn't going to be any more Freeview, apparently.

Richard

On 1/11/2012 10:37 PM, victor wrote:
>> Yes who would want to watch Freeview on a old claped out CRT TV thats
>> only a 4:3 sceen and 480 lines, when you cant watch 16:9 and 720
>> lines..

> But there isn't going to be any more Freeview, apparently.

Freeview may die, and I hope they do since all they seem to have done is
take taxpayer money and put an animated sperm onscreen telling idiots
about digital, but digital broadcasting will live on without the
marketing machine.

IMO the govt should have just told the broadcasters their off date and
left it at that, but remember that the party of spending our money was
in when digital was started. so the freeview marketing machine who dont
seem to have any useful information on the service (if you go and read
the Q+A's on geekzone you will see most of the answers are to ask the
broadcaster) was created.

Geopelia

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>>advantage of them it is not the fault of the school. Perhaps your family
>>did
>>not encourage the boys to take up their various interests, or to did not
>>have the means to pay for all the extras.
>>
>>Some parents just about bankrupt themselves to send a child to Public
>>School, for what they consider the social advantages of mixing with the
>>upper class. Unfortunately for them, the upper class close ranks
>>(especially
>>in the girls' schools) and freeze out the interlopers.
>>
>>Aren't we lucky here to be living in a classless society!
>>

> Totally Utter Rot..
>
> Don't for get that UK Public Schools are totally FREE you don't
> provide a thing, and these are stacks of other Exam levels ,
> Polytechnic schools exams taken from memory around 14 year , also City
> and Guilds and RSA royal society of arts..

I think you are confusing the free public school system with what are known
as the Public Schools, Eton and Harrow etc. Those certainly aren't free!
I'm talking about education back in the Grammar School days, after the war.
There would have been many changes since then. O levels started, Secondary
Modern schools came in,
and coeducation became more popular. Now many schools are Comprehensive.

victor

On 12/01/2012 12:44 a.m., Richard wrote:
> On 1/11/2012 10:37 PM, victor wrote:
>>> Yes who would want to watch Freeview on a old claped out CRT TV thats
>>> only a 4:3 sceen and 480 lines, when you cant watch 16:9 and 720
>>> lines..

>> But there isn't going to be any more Freeview, apparently.

> Freeview may die, and I hope they do since all they seem to have done is
> take taxpayer money and put an animated sperm onscreen telling idiots
> about digital, but digital broadcasting will live on without the
> marketing machine.
>
> IMO the govt should have just told the broadcasters their off date and
> left it at that, but remember that the party of spending our money was
> in when digital was started. so the freeview marketing machine who dont
> seem to have any useful information on the service (if you go and read
> the Q+A's on geekzone you will see most of the answers are to ask the
> broadcaster) was created.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeview_New_Zealand

According to this the government is funding only for the transition period.

The news of Freeviews immanent demise hasn't yet made it from Wogers
mate to wikipedia, but the rest of the summary is interesting.