Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Freeview to Go.!

Freeview to Go.!

-Newsman-

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:24:27 +1300, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 10/01/2012 9:16 a.m., -Newsman- wrote:
>

>> No surprise, then, that "Yes Minister" was so successful (particularly
>> among politicians - Thatcher especially) since it is constructed
>> almost entirely on a subliminal platform of these two quintessentially
>> English qualities....plus, of course, thinly veiled self-deprecation
>> which somehow "absolves" the perpetrator of all guilt or embarrassment
>> - hypocrisy, if you will.

>It was 25 years ago, was that the peak ?

Of it's genre, I suppose it was.

-Newsman-

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:12:34 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 05:55:48 +1300, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>MASH was probably the americans first good comedy. Their continued use
>>>of "canned laughter" along with telegraphing the supposedly funny bit
>>>detracts heavily from american TV.

>> The Americans tend to be one-dimensional and have yet to come anywhere
>> near equalling the British tradition of character acting.
>>
>> Again, devastating irony and sarcasm underlie much of British
>> theatrical tradition, including comedy, but these are two qualities
>> that Americans largely lack. With the exception of the likes of MASH,
>> they recognise them but tend to be leaden-footed. Historical cultural
>> differences.
>>
>> In Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, Mark Antony deploys irony and sarcasm
>> in his eulogy for his fallen emperor to turn his audience against
>> Brutus and his fellow conspirators. Today, as they act out their
>> histrionics in the House, British politicians will debate in much the
>> same tradition to ridicule and bring down an opponent.
>>
>> No surprise, then, that "Yes Minister" was so successful (particularly
>> among politicians - Thatcher especially) since it is constructed
>> almost entirely on a subliminal platform of these two quintessentially
>> English qualities....plus, of course, thinly veiled self-deprecation
>> which somehow "absolves" the perpetrator of all guilt or embarrassment
>> - hypocrisy, if you will.

>"Yes Minister" needs intelligent viewers who know how the British system
>works.
>I wonder what an American audience would make of it.

They loved it, and still do. Repeats still air on public TV.

>What they do about the advertising breaks? Fast food and fizzy drinks don't
>seem very appropriate.
>Expensive cars perhaps?

Who even notices the ads these days? They're now nothing more than a
(neccessary?) and culturally debauching inconvenience.

Geopelia

"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:24:27 +1300, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On 10/01/2012 9:16 a.m., -Newsman- wrote:
>>

>>> No surprise, then, that "Yes Minister" was so successful (particularly
>>> among politicians - Thatcher especially) since it is constructed
>>> almost entirely on a subliminal platform of these two quintessentially
>>> English qualities....plus, of course, thinly veiled self-deprecation
>>> which somehow "absolves" the perpetrator of all guilt or embarrassment
>>> - hypocrisy, if you will.

>>It was 25 years ago, was that the peak ?

> Of it's genre, I suppose it was.

Now TVOne has to give the viewers what the advertisers think they want.
Intelligent programs may not be thought able to compete.
"Yes Minister" has no sex scenes or grisly murders to keep today's average
viewer interested.

Fortunately Prime still has a better level of programming.

-Newsman-

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 13:40:16 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>>It was 25 years ago, was that the peak ?

>> Of it's genre, I suppose it was.

>Now TVOne has to give the viewers what the advertisers think they want.
>Intelligent programs may not be thought able to compete.
>"Yes Minister" has no sex scenes or grisly murders to keep today's average
>viewer interested.
>
>Fortunately Prime still has a better level of programming.

Make the most of it while you still can. There's a steady
siphoning-off of recent 'quality' free-to-air contentv- e.g.
'Boardwalk Empire' and 'Weeds' - onto Sky's newly introduced pay-only
channel. ESPN is also now restricted to pay-only. I think it'll be
only a matter of time before Newscorp (Sky)-owned Prime simply
relinquishes its content to one of its owner's existing satellite
channels and shuts down completely. I imagine such a decision would
be determined by whatever Prime's existing standalone value to
Newscorp might be.

You will also have noted TV1's increasingly decrepit schedules with
the channel resorting to prime-time showing of rickety old Bond movies
and United Video's used $1 throwouts, plus and repeats of previous
repeats of 4 x 3 sitcoms like Vicar of Dibley.

TV1 is nowadays a 100% embarrassing irrelevance, with a "news service"
that, absurdly, appears to have not one overseas staff reporter[1];
then think of the sheer inanity of its breathless, gawky reporting-in
of news of upcoming news of its achingly over-long 6.55pm weather
forecast; while an alarmingly haggard Alison Mau currently presiding
over the whole mess only further emphasises the need to put the entire
outfit out of its misery once and for all.

But how TVNZ's proposed new set-top-box deal with Sky may turn out is
anybody's guess - but if you're an existing FTA viewer, you're likely
to be obliged to pay good money for exactly the same crap you're now
**ostensibly** getting for free.

[1] It can get no tackier than One News succumbing to the nonsense of
cynically dumping its "live reporters" among its newsroom satellite
monitors in Hobson Street to regurgite to camera copy previously
gleaned from the original overseas provider.

Lyndon Watson

On Jan 10, 10:29*am, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 10/01/2012 10:12 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
> > "Yes Minister" needs intelligent viewers who know how the British system
> > works.

> Usually stuff for old people.
> Like Midsomer Murders.

Given the list of American programs that appeared, "old people" would
seem to mean anyone past adolescence. And perhaps catering for the
adolescent market is a major reason why American programs are mostly
so poor.

LW

Geopelia

"Lyndon Watson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jan 10, 10:29 am, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 10/01/2012 10:12 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
> > "Yes Minister" needs intelligent viewers who know how the British system
> > works.

> Usually stuff for old people.
> Like Midsomer Murders.

Given the list of American programs that appeared, "old people" would
seem to mean anyone past adolescence. And perhaps catering for the
adolescent market is a major reason why American programs are mostly
so poor.

LW

Some Americans are perpetual adolescents anyway.

TV is a wonderful resource for "old people" who are disabled and can't get
out much.
But programs need to be of interest to them.

Adolescents should be living an active outdoor life during daylight hours.
There was no TV in my young days. We made our own entertainment.

With the war on, there was so much to be done. There was radio, (BBC in UK),
but so much can be done while listening.
Censorship ruled, but for security purposes, not "morals". We had a Ministry
of Information to decide what could be broadcast etc.

Geopelia

"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:24:27 +1300, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On 10/01/2012 9:16 a.m., -Newsman- wrote:
>>

>>> No surprise, then, that "Yes Minister" was so successful (particularly
>>> among politicians - Thatcher especially) since it is constructed
>>> almost entirely on a subliminal platform of these two quintessentially
>>> English qualities....plus, of course, thinly veiled self-deprecation
>>> which somehow "absolves" the perpetrator of all guilt or embarrassment
>>> - hypocrisy, if you will.

>>It was 25 years ago, was that the peak ?

> Of it's genre, I suppose it was.

Much public education in Britain has sadly declined since the Grammar
Schools went Comprehensive.
Perhaps the dumbing down has affected the kind of program that has wide
appeal.

Take a good look at Coronation Street over that time. It used to be an
intelligent look at Midlands working class life, with believable characters.
Now it's just another rather far fetched soapie.

Geopelia

"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 13:40:16 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> Of it's genre, I suppose it was.

>>Now TVOne has to give the viewers what the advertisers think they want.
>>Intelligent programs may not be thought able to compete.
>>"Yes Minister" has no sex scenes or grisly murders to keep today's average
>>viewer interested.
>>
>>Fortunately Prime still has a better level of programming.

> Make the most of it while you still can. There's a steady
> siphoning-off of recent 'quality' free-to-air contentv- e.g.
> 'Boardwalk Empire' and 'Weeds' - onto Sky's newly introduced pay-only
> channel. ESPN is also now restricted to pay-only. I think it'll be
> only a matter of time before Newscorp (Sky)-owned Prime simply
> relinquishes its content to one of its owner's existing satellite
> channels and shuts down completely. I imagine such a decision would
> be determined by whatever Prime's existing standalone value to
> Newscorp might be.

The channel that is now Prime used to be Horizon, and had very good
programs.
I think it then became MTV.
Perhaps another free program will take it over if Prime goes.
Or Trackside could be moved there. I miss that.

> You will also have noted TV1's increasingly decrepit schedules with
> the channel resorting to prime-time showing of rickety old Bond movies
> and United Video's used $1 throwouts, plus and repeats of previous
> repeats of 4 x 3 sitcoms like Vicar of Dibley.

Many people were too young to see the Bond movies when they first came out.
They may be unbelievable nonsense, but they are still great fun with
incredible stunts.

The Vicar of Dibley is worth repeating too, but I preferred "All Gas and
Gaiters".
And "Father Ted" is hilarious.

> TV1 is nowadays a 100% embarrassing irrelevance, with a "news service"
> that, absurdly, appears to have not one overseas staff reporter[1];
> then think of the sheer inanity of its breathless, gawky reporting-in
> of news of upcoming news of its achingly over-long 6.55pm weather
> forecast; while an alarmingly haggard Alison Mau currently presiding
> over the whole mess only further emphasises the need to put the entire
> outfit out of its misery once and for all.
>
> But how TVNZ's proposed new set-top-box deal with Sky may turn out is
> anybody's guess - but if you're an existing FTA viewer, you're likely
> to be obliged to pay good money for exactly the same crap you're now
> **ostensibly** getting for free.
>
> [1] It can get no tackier than One News succumbing to the nonsense of
> cynically dumping its "live reporters" among its newsroom satellite
> monitors in Hobson Street to regurgite to camera copy previously
> gleaned from the original overseas provider.

Are live reporters really needed for news these days?
Mobs of live reporters racing to phone boxes to dictate their copy belong in
old films.

We have the internet for news now, and radio of course. TV and newspapers
aren't really necessary for news.
Most people would be getting tea etc at that time anyway, and just have TV
burbling away in the background.

Geopelia

"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> Make the most of it while you still can. There's a steady
>>> siphoning-off of recent 'quality' free-to-air contentv- e.g.
>>> 'Boardwalk Empire' and 'Weeds' - onto Sky's newly introduced pay-only
>>> channel. ESPN is also now restricted to pay-only. I think it'll be
>>> only a matter of time before Newscorp (Sky)-owned Prime simply
>>> relinquishes its content to one of its owner's existing satellite
>>> channels and shuts down completely. I imagine such a decision would
>>> be determined by whatever Prime's existing standalone value to
>>> Newscorp might be.

>>The channel that is now Prime used to be Horizon, and had very good
>>programs.
>>I think it then became MTV.
>>Perhaps another free program will take it over if Prime goes.
>>Or Trackside could be moved there. I miss that.
>>

> Trackside is on the digital platform CH 11 and has been for a while..
>
> Time to do a rescan..

Without Sky or a box on top of the set, how could I do that? I'd have to get
the TV man to do it anyway.

-Newsman-

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:50:11 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>>It was 25 years ago, was that the peak ?

>> Of it's genre, I suppose it was.

>Much public education in Britain has sadly declined since the Grammar
>Schools went Comprehensive.
>Perhaps the dumbing down has affected the kind of program that has wide
>appeal.

Two of my nephews were educated at Harrrow, and you really can't get
much more "grammar" than that. They are now in their early 40s and,
as the saying goes, "have done well for themselves". Both are 100%
bereft of any learning or interest in literature, history, music or
art and their expensive, sterile homes reflect it in spades: chrome
and white in the kitchen, nothing but formulaic shoot-'em-up movies in
the living-room DVD rack. Be it in conversation or a poorly spelt
e-mail neither is capable of constructing an elegant sentence.

Both nephews are, in essence, "Essex boys" who converse in "public
school posh". Groomed as Harrow does, they have grown into a
middle-age money world where knowing the right people is really all
that counts. Nice guys both, wealthy and brand-loyal to a fault, yet
"unformed", embarrassingly ignorant, philistine and unworldly. Both
are well-travelled but they have not one single word or phrase of a
foreign language between them.

Summed up, they have absolutely no intellectual curiosity whatever -
crabbed, one-dimensional, minds - television fodder.

Their parents are imensely proud of them both.

>Take a good look at Coronation Street over that time. It used to be an
>intelligent look at Midlands working class life, with believable characters.
>Now it's just another rather far fetched soapie.

It's called "satisfying expectations" which are plainly sinking lower
with each passing day.