Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Freeview to Go.!

Freeview to Go.!

Lyndon Watson

On Jan 9, 1:12*pm, bubba ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> American TV is the best in the world. And if you disagree tell me what
> country has produced programs better than 'The Sopranos', 'The Wire',
> 'Prison Break', 'House', 'Survivor', 'Fraser', 'The Simpsons' ... etc.

Good one. I do like a bit of irony.

LW

victor

On 9/01/2012 4:06 p.m., Lyndon Watson wrote:
> On Jan 9, 1:12 pm, bubba ray<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> American TV is the best in the world. And if you disagree tell me what
>> country has produced programs better than 'The Sopranos', 'The Wire',
>> 'Prison Break', 'House', 'Survivor', 'Fraser', 'The Simpsons' ... etc.

> Good one. I do like a bit of irony.
>
> LW

If only they could be downloaded and watched on demand.

nospam

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 19:57:01 +1300, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article
><(E-Mail Removed)>,
> bubba ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Even One is barely worth watching these days. *All yank crap, cooking, and
>> > 'reality'.
>> >
>> > geoff

>> American TV is the best in the world. And if you disagree tell me what
>> country has produced programs better than 'The Sopranos', 'The Wire',
>> 'Prison Break', 'House', 'Survivor', 'Fraser', 'The Simpsons' ... etc.

>Sweet 16, Jersey Shore, The Kardashians, Amercians Funniest home videos,
>etc etc etc etc.

Smallville, lost in space, perry mason, flipper, the fugitive.

Frank Williams

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 16:59:00 +1300, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 9/01/2012 4:06 p.m., Lyndon Watson wrote:
>> On Jan 9, 1:12 pm, bubba ray<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> American TV is the best in the world. And if you disagree tell me what
>>> country has produced programs better than 'The Sopranos', 'The Wire',
>>> 'Prison Break', 'House', 'Survivor', 'Fraser', 'The Simpsons' ... etc.

>> Good one. I do like a bit of irony.
>>
>> LW

>If only they could be downloaded and watched on demand.

Problem with a US TV series they are dragged out far to long and end up
boring, give me a UK one any time except Coronation Street.

Mind you I do like House may be its because here is a pomy actor.

Frank Williams

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 19:28:43 +1300, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>bubba ray wrote:
>>
>> American TV is the best in the world. And if you disagree tell me what
>> country has produced programs better than 'The Sopranos', 'The Wire',
>> 'Prison Break', 'House', 'Survivor', 'Fraser', 'The Simpsons' ... etc.

>You probably don't even realise what you are exposing of yourself.
>
>Most. Six Feet Under hard to beat though.
>
>geoff

Yes it was..

Geopelia

"whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 19:57:01 +1300, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >In article
>> ><(E-Mail Removed)>,

>> >Sweet 16, Jersey Shore, The Kardashians, Amercians Funniest home videos,
>> >etc etc etc etc.

>> Smallville, lost in space, perry mason, flipper, the fugitive.

> where as the Poms have
> Monty Python, Porridge, Being Human, Fawlty Towers...

Dad's Army.

The Americans have MASH.

-Newsman-

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 05:55:48 +1300, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <jeeftg$hb1$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > where as the Poms have
>> > Monty Python, Porridge, Being Human, Fawlty Towers...

>> Dad's Army.
>>
>> The Americans have MASH.

>MASH was probably the americans first good comedy. Their continued use
>of "canned laughter" along with telegraphing the supposedly funny bit
>detracts heavily from american TV.

The Americans tend to be one-dimensional and have yet to come anywhere
near equalling the British tradition of character acting.

Again, devastating irony and sarcasm underlie much of British
theatrical tradition, including comedy, but these are two qualities
that Americans largely lack. With the exception of the likes of MASH,
they recognise them but tend to be leaden-footed. Historical cultural
differences.

In Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, Mark Antony deploys irony and sarcasm
in his eulogy for his fallen emperor to turn his audience against
Brutus and his fellow conspirators. Today, as they act out their
histrionics in the House, British politicians will debate in much the
same tradition to ridicule and bring down an opponent.

No surprise, then, that "Yes Minister" was so successful (particularly
among politicians - Thatcher especially) since it is constructed
almost entirely on a subliminal platform of these two quintessentially
English qualities....plus, of course, thinly veiled self-deprecation
which somehow "absolves" the perpetrator of all guilt or embarrassment
- hypocrisy, if you will.

Geopelia

"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 05:55:48 +1300, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>In article <jeeftg$hb1$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Dad's Army.
>>>
>>> The Americans have MASH.

>>MASH was probably the americans first good comedy. Their continued use
>>of "canned laughter" along with telegraphing the supposedly funny bit
>>detracts heavily from american TV.

> The Americans tend to be one-dimensional and have yet to come anywhere
> near equalling the British tradition of character acting.
>
> Again, devastating irony and sarcasm underlie much of British
> theatrical tradition, including comedy, but these are two qualities
> that Americans largely lack. With the exception of the likes of MASH,
> they recognise them but tend to be leaden-footed. Historical cultural
> differences.
>
> In Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, Mark Antony deploys irony and sarcasm
> in his eulogy for his fallen emperor to turn his audience against
> Brutus and his fellow conspirators. Today, as they act out their
> histrionics in the House, British politicians will debate in much the
> same tradition to ridicule and bring down an opponent.
>
> No surprise, then, that "Yes Minister" was so successful (particularly
> among politicians - Thatcher especially) since it is constructed
> almost entirely on a subliminal platform of these two quintessentially
> English qualities....plus, of course, thinly veiled self-deprecation
> which somehow "absolves" the perpetrator of all guilt or embarrassment
> - hypocrisy, if you will.

"Yes Minister" needs intelligent viewers who know how the British system
works.
I wonder what an American audience would make of it.

What they do about the advertising breaks? Fast food and fizzy drinks don't
seem very appropriate.
Expensive cars perhaps?

victor

On 10/01/2012 9:16 a.m., -Newsman- wrote:

> No surprise, then, that "Yes Minister" was so successful (particularly
> among politicians - Thatcher especially) since it is constructed
> almost entirely on a subliminal platform of these two quintessentially
> English qualities....plus, of course, thinly veiled self-deprecation
> which somehow "absolves" the perpetrator of all guilt or embarrassment
> - hypocrisy, if you will.

It was 25 years ago, was that the peak ?

victor

On 10/01/2012 10:12 a.m., Geopelia wrote:

> "Yes Minister" needs intelligent viewers who know how the British system
> works.
> I wonder what an American audience would make of it.
>
> What they do about the advertising breaks? Fast food and fizzy drinks don't
> seem very appropriate.
> Expensive cars perhaps?

Usually stuff for old people.
Like Midsomer Murders.