Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Freeview to Go.!

Freeview to Go.!

Frank Williams

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 21:19:21 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (-Newsman-) wrote:

>On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 17:19:06 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> From what I was told NO FREE TV at all.

>>As long as it doesn't cost any more than the old TV licence, and we get the
>>sports programs back that Sky has pinched,
>>people will probably be willing to pay.
>>
>>But with a computer and the radio, and DVDs for hire, how long will
>>expensive TV programs still keep going? If many people won't pay for Sky now
>>(like us), won't the new pay programs meet with the same resistance?
>>
>>They will have to make the programs worth the money. How many people would
>>bother with Coronation Street as it has deteriorated over the last few
>>years, if they had to pay for it?
>>And will people still stand for all the ad breaks and repeats?
>>
>>One big question, will people be charged for the programs they watch, or for
>>just having a set in the home whether switched on or not? Will there be some
>>sort of meter?
>>
>>How much would you be willing to pay per week?
>>$5, $10, $20? That's $260, $520, $1040 per year!
>>Think about it.
>>
>>I grew up before TV, and it wouldn't worry me to drop it.
>>

>And not only you.
>
>From a viewer/programming perspective the question must surely be,
>"What strategic and unique cultural asset would New Zealanders be
>deprived of if TV1 and TV2 were shut down at mid-day today?"

Many Many OLD Pepole in rest home and hospice etc.

Think before you post again..

Geopelia

"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 09:55:05 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ted.8367
>>> @gmail.com, Ted says...

>>> +1

>>It's just a matter of picking the right programs to watch.
>>(Prime is about the best of the free channels.)
>>But you could say the same about choosing library books.
>>
>>TV needs to attract the sort of viewers who can be influenced by
>>advertising, and who will dumbly watch the screen during the many ad
>>breaks.
>>If all the programs were for the more intelligent, the advertisers would
>>soon complain of falling sales.
>>And even the dumbest illiterate person has the same right to entertainment
>>as the rest of us.

> While you may well be right, a cursory look at TV1 and TV2 schedules
> suggests that the dumb and illiterate mouthbreathers are being way
> over-indulged. Their ever-increasing slump-gut obesity only confirms
> it
>
> As Roy Thompson put it circa 50 years ago, a TV franchise is a licence
> to print money.

TV1 is certainly bad just now, but wait until we see what is coming up in
the next few months.
Let's hope there is a big improvement.

TV2 is the kid's channel of course, but they do have the odd good film now
and then.
And "Shaun the Sheep" is priceless! Why on earth don't they show it in an
evening slot?
It only lasts five minutes, and could replace an ad break.
They used to have music videos, but those seem to have vanished.

Maori TV has some good programs of general interest, as well as those in
Maori.
Try "Te Po Mekemeke" if you like boxing. All in Maori, but great to watch.

And there is always Triangle, for those in Auckland. It's a bit of a lucky
dip.
The German programs (in English) are very interesting.

We miss Trackside, but if we get one of these new bits of technology we will
be able to watch it again sometimes.

Geopelia

"Vaughan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
> In article <je5518$l1r$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> "Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >

>> > A friend in the trade is stating no more Freeview, seems like the
>> > National Party does not like Free TV, so the New Igloo (Freeview Plus)
>> > will be the thing as the Gov will get a 49% cut out of that, so will NZ
>> > be the only county with No free TV..?
>> >
>> > The so called Freeview is turning out to be a utter Joke with 4
>> > channels
>> > to close, 2 have all ready closed, the Sports CH , and Stratos.
>> >
>> > Seem more like Sky TV is running the country now.
>> >
>> > What a sad country we live in..
>> >
>> > Lots of complaints of Bad reception problems in the Kapiti coast in
>> > the
>> > last 2 weeks, I am getting the same, my mate in the trade seems to
>> > think they are having Transmission problems, the normal thing when you
>> > have crap equipments or may be crap people running it, or is this Gov
>> > cut backs..?
>> >

>> Will TVOne, Two, Three etc still be free?
>>
>> Perhaps the government needs to take over Sky.

> The Government certainly has a lot of respect for how Sky operates -
> more like Sky is taking over New Zealand television and directing the
> Government on how to manage things.

By making One and Two so poor, forcing people to buy Sky if they want good
programs?
That wouldn't surprise me.

We would consider Sky if we could have just the channels we want at a
reasonable price.
But not as it is run these days.

-Newsman-

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 14:07:08 +1300, Frank Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 21:19:21 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (-Newsman-) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 17:19:06 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>As long as it doesn't cost any more than the old TV licence, and we get the
>>>sports programs back that Sky has pinched,
>>>people will probably be willing to pay.
>>>
>>>But with a computer and the radio, and DVDs for hire, how long will
>>>expensive TV programs still keep going? If many people won't pay for Sky now
>>>(like us), won't the new pay programs meet with the same resistance?
>>>
>>>They will have to make the programs worth the money. How many people would
>>>bother with Coronation Street as it has deteriorated over the last few
>>>years, if they had to pay for it?
>>>And will people still stand for all the ad breaks and repeats?
>>>
>>>One big question, will people be charged for the programs they watch, or for
>>>just having a set in the home whether switched on or not? Will there be some
>>>sort of meter?
>>>
>>>How much would you be willing to pay per week?
>>>$5, $10, $20? That's $260, $520, $1040 per year!
>>>Think about it.
>>>
>>>I grew up before TV, and it wouldn't worry me to drop it.
>>>

>>And not only you.
>>
>>From a viewer/programming perspective the question must surely be,
>>"What strategic and unique cultural asset would New Zealanders be
>>deprived of if TV1 and TV2 were shut down at mid-day today?"

>Many Many OLD Pepole in rest home and hospice etc.

How are such people a strategic and unique cultural asset?

Frank Williams

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 02:56:55 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (-Newsman-) wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 14:07:08 +1300, Frank Williams
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 21:19:21 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (-Newsman-) wrote:

>>>And not only you.
>>>
>>>From a viewer/programming perspective the question must surely be,
>>>"What strategic and unique cultural asset would New Zealanders be
>>>deprived of if TV1 and TV2 were shut down at mid-day today?"

>>Many Many OLD Pepole in rest home and hospice etc.

>How are such people a strategic and unique cultural asset?

F Off you Insane person.

Geopelia

"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 14:07:08 +1300, Frank Williams
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 21:19:21 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (-Newsman-) wrote:

>>>And not only you.
>>>
>>>From a viewer/programming perspective the question must surely be,
>>>"What strategic and unique cultural asset would New Zealanders be
>>>deprived of if TV1 and TV2 were shut down at mid-day today?"

>>Many Many OLD Pepole in rest home and hospice etc.

> How are such people a strategic and unique cultural asset?

I think "strategic and unique cultural asset" refers to the content of the
TV programs, not the viewers.
Well there are always the Wild South type of programs, and the Maori
cultural activities.

I suppose I could be considered an old person, being eighty two. I feel more
like twenty eight though.
I'm not so sure about the "strategic and unique cultural asset", but I
remember way back to the 1930s and make my memories and views known.
Take them or leave them.

Enkidu

On 07/01/12 13:01, Vaughan wrote:

> Look also for the eventual demise of TV3 with the rise in dominance of
> TVNZ alongside Sky.

Look for the total demise of broadcast television and watch it be
replaced by internet television.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Frank Williams

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 18:36:39 +1300, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> wrote:

>On 07/01/12 13:01, Vaughan wrote:
>>
>> Look also for the eventual demise of TV3 with the rise in dominance of
>> TVNZ alongside Sky.
>>

>Look for the total demise of broadcast television and watch it be
>replaced by internet television.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cliff

Not in NZ as it has the dearest Internet in the World and low CAPS..

I think it was Netflix that stated that they will not be coming to NZ
till the CAPS are Removed, and Apple was another.

nospam

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 16:45:02 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I suppose I could be considered an old person, being eighty two. I feel more
>like twenty eight though.

Eighty two! That explains a few things. You don't look 82.

Geopelia

"nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 16:45:02 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>I suppose I could be considered an old person, being eighty two. I feel
>>more
>>like twenty eight though.

> Eighty two! That explains a few things. You don't look 82.

I certainly don't act my age. But how do you know what I look like?