Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Recording audio from DVD ?

Recording audio from DVD ?

- Bobb -

I have a concert on DVD
I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
What's the easiest way to do this ?
My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
DVD. I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

Woof

> I have a concert on DVD
> I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
> What's the easiest way to do this ?
> My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
> DVD. I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

A DVD Audio Ripper is what you need. Check here
http://www.freewarefiles.com/category/audio_video.php

meagain

Woof wrote:
>> I have a concert on DVD
>> I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
>> What's the easiest way to do this ?
>> My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from DVD. I
>> don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

> A DVD Audio Ripper is what you need. Check here
> http://www.freewarefiles.com/category/audio_video.php

My fave, Womble's Mpeg Video Wizard (free for 90days) can also do it.

- Bobb -

"Woof" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:je360c$6go$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a concert on DVD
>> I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
>> What's the easiest way to do this ?
>> My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
>> DVD. I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

> A DVD Audio Ripper is what you need. Check here
> http://www.freewarefiles.com/category/audio_video.php

no luck with that. I ran it and it clicked ADD file, then browsed to the
DVD - vob files were 'invalid file type'.
SO in case I mis-stated the situation, it's a store-bought old concert DVD
that I'd like to save as mp3's on PC.
I COULD take the rca outputs from living room DVD player to 3.5mm jack input
of my laptop and just save it as ONE big mp3 file, but the audio volume /
quality is a guessing game ... is THIS level too loud? , not enough etc.
But I thought (like I can do with a store-bought DVD) it would be easy to
simply insert into my PC DVD player and record as mp3 's.

Paul

- Bobb - wrote:
> "Woof" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:je360c$6go$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have a concert on DVD
>>> I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
>>> What's the easiest way to do this ?
>>> My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
>>> DVD. I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

>> A DVD Audio Ripper is what you need. Check here
>> http://www.freewarefiles.com/category/audio_video.php
>>

> no luck with that. I ran it and it clicked ADD file, then browsed to the
> DVD - vob files were 'invalid file type'.
> SO in case I mis-stated the situation, it's a store-bought old concert DVD
> that I'd like to save as mp3's on PC.
> I COULD take the rca outputs from living room DVD player to 3.5mm jack input
> of my laptop and just save it as ONE big mp3 file, but the audio volume /
> quality is a guessing game ... is THIS level too loud? , not enough etc.
> But I thought (like I can do with a store-bought DVD) it would be easy to
> simply insert into my PC DVD player and record as mp3 's.

Did you run the title of the "store-bought old convert DVD" through
Google, to see how it's protected ? Maybe someone has already solved this problem.

*******

As for solving the analog recording "VU" meter problem, there is a way
to do that. Audacity has a "normalize" function, which will bring the
level back to whatever dB level you want. That would stink, if your
DVD player output level was way off (requiring 20-40 dB extra gain perhaps).
But if you're reasonably close, the normalize can bring the level back,
such that the loudest passage is 0dB and the rest is scaled
accordingly. You can even scale all the recorded songs to the same
level (by normalizing each song individually). In some cases,
after a listening test, you may decide to make further tweaks
to the level. In which case, keep the original recording separate
from your final output (so you don't incur accumulated math errors).

The DVD player may have a line out level outputs, which you'd connect
to line in on the computer sound card.

At most, it might take me two passes, to get it right. The first
recording attempt (with all gain knob positions recorded, so you
know how things were set), would establish how much gain is needed.
Then, you could bump the recording knobs a little bit in the path,
to bring things closer to full scale, then make a second recording.
That would help use the full dynamic range of your sound card.
The "Normalize" function would then only have a tiny correction
to the gain to make.

In the Audacity preferences, is a "Directories" tab. In there, you
can disable "Audio cache", so the recording goes to the hard drive.
You can also set the hard drive to receive the recording. That would
help with extremely long recordings.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

When you "save a project", the sound stream is broken up into
~1MB files (i.e. fairly small files) and stored in a named
directory. So when you "save a project" and wonder where the
sound samples went, they're in a directory of the same name.
If you had a "blah.project" tiny project file name, there is
probably a "blah" directory somewhere on your drive, with many
many tiny 1MB files in it. The files are stored in small chunks
for some reason. Don't know why. You'd think storing them in
2GB chunks would be good enough for modern computers.

You use the "Export" function, to convert a recorded project
into another format. Audacity probably doesn't have
enough input file and output file options, to satisfy
every user, so a separate tool might be required for
the final step.

Have fun,
Paul

meagain

Paul wrote:
> Audacity has a "normalize" function,

I have heard many people recommend Audacity.

Paul

meagain wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Audacity has a "normalize" function,

> I have heard many people recommend Audacity.

One fun fact about it, is you can add additional filters.
For example, by default it might have high pass, or low
pass filters. But the filter I use more often, is the
optional "notch" filter (notch.ny), which installs separately.
For example, I use that to remove 60Hz and 180Hz noises
from recordings. The notch filter is a 1KB file, containing
a text script, so it's some kind of programming language.

Paul

Fat-Dumb and Happy

Paul wrote:
> meagain wrote:
>> Paul wrote:
>>> Audacity has a "normalize" function,

>> I have heard many people recommend Audacity.

> One fun fact about it, is you can add additional filters.
> For example, by default it might have high pass, or low
> pass filters. But the filter I use more often, is the
> optional "notch" filter (notch.ny), which installs separately.
> For example, I use that to remove 60Hz and 180Hz noises
> from recordings. The notch filter is a 1KB file, containing
> a text script, so it's some kind of programming language.
>
> Paul

I got this one years ago and still put on most of the computers I
have. It's not free but it's pretty cheap, it's simple and it works.
Anything coming out the computer speakers can be recorded. It has a
free trial which might be enough to get you what you want.
http://www.ripvinyl.com/

kelly

On Jan 5, 3:04*am, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
> I have a concert on DVD
> I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
> What's the easiest way to do this ?
> My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
> DVD. *I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

AO Audio Extractor. This will rip the audio from any form of audio/
video file. Then you can change the audio file format to whatever
later.

- Bobb -

"kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jan 5, 3:04 am, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
> I have a concert on DVD
> I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
> What's the easiest way to do this ?
> My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
> DVD. I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

AO Audio Extractor. This will rip the audio from any form of audio/
video file. Then you can change the audio file format to whatever
later.
=======
Update:

I tried copying vob to pc - cannot do - get an error
I downloaded this app and put DVD in PC - clicked ADD files and browsed to
TS_Video folder - apparently VOB isn't a choice.

When I first tried to do this I thought I'd pop it in - start to convert and
head out for the day. That was 2 weeks ago and still no progress. I had NO
idea that getting into mp3 format was such a chore. ... he asked
rhetorically ... why can I record a CD so easily and can't do a thing with a
DVD ... if I want to COPY CD's it's ok but if I want to listen to the audio
of a DVD it's 'undoable' using modern technology.

So, thanks for all of the advice, but I guess I'll just play it back on
DVD - through my receiver and record the audio onto a cassette tape or
Reel-to-Reel ( Something with a VU meter that can hold 90-120 minutes of
audio). From there I'll burn to CD. I'll use 40 year old technology can do
what newer technology prevents.