Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Recording audio from DVD ?

Recording audio from DVD ?

Paul

- Bobb - wrote:
> "kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jan 5, 3:04 am, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
>> I have a concert on DVD
>> I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
>> What's the easiest way to do this ?
>> My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
>> DVD. I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

> AO Audio Extractor. This will rip the audio from any form of audio/
> video file. Then you can change the audio file format to whatever
> later.
> =======
> Update:
>
> I tried copying vob to pc - cannot do - get an error
> I downloaded this app and put DVD in PC - clicked ADD files and browsed to
> TS_Video folder - apparently VOB isn't a choice.
>
> When I first tried to do this I thought I'd pop it in - start to convert and
> head out for the day. That was 2 weeks ago and still no progress. I had NO
> idea that getting into mp3 format was such a chore. ... he asked
> rhetorically ... why can I record a CD so easily and can't do a thing with a
> DVD ... if I want to COPY CD's it's ok but if I want to listen to the audio
> of a DVD it's 'undoable' using modern technology.
>
> So, thanks for all of the advice, but I guess I'll just play it back on
> DVD - through my receiver and record the audio onto a cassette tape or
> Reel-to-Reel ( Something with a VU meter that can hold 90-120 minutes of
> audio). From there I'll burn to CD. I'll use 40 year old technology can do
> what newer technology prevents.

So, humor us, and list the contents of the DVD. What
files *can* you see, and in what folder(s) ?

(In a command prompt window, you can do

dir /S /B e: > output.txt

to redirect a directory listing of the "e:" DVD drive to
a text file. Then, open the output.txt file in Notepad and
copy out the interesting bits into a posting. If you can't
find the output.txt file, use your Windows "search" to find it.)

Next, get a copy of this program, and see if you can
get format information. This program normally works
with video files, but check and see if you can see
an audio track on the files in question.

http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

The disc could be protected with something. But
I'm not up on all the methods (like say, a Sony rootkit).

Paul

Chas

What are the command line switches /S and /B...what do they command or
stipulate?
Thank you. . .chas
> So, humor us, and list the contents of the DVD. What
> files *can* you see, and in what folder(s) ?
>
> (In a command prompt window, you can do
>
> dir /S /B e: > output.txt
>
> to redirect a directory listing of the "e:" DVD drive to
> a text file. Then, open the output.txt file in Notepad and
> copy out the interesting bits into a posting. If you can't
> find the output.txt file, use your Windows "search" to find it.)
>
> Next, get a copy of this program, and see if you can
> get format information. This program normally works
> with video files, but check and see if you can see
> an audio track on the files in question.
>
> http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip
>
> The disc could be protected with something. But
> I'm not up on all the methods (like say, a Sony rootkit).
>
> Paul

Paul

Chas wrote:

>> (In a command prompt window, you can do
>>
>> dir /S /B e: > output.txt

> What are the command line switches /S and /B...what do they command or
> stipulate?
> Thank you. . .chas

If you do "dir /?" in the command prompt window,
the command options will be displayed. The descriptions
didn't really help me very much, as they didn't hint
as to what the output would look like.

/B = use bare format (no idea what that means)
/S = displays files in specified directories and sub-directories

I didn't know what options to use either, but eventually
googled /B as being the one I was after. The /S is
the recursive option, for drilling down through
the entire file tree. It's to make sure the whole
storage volume gets listed, to get as complete a
picture as possible. It is still possible for file
permissions to prevent viewing all files. (For
that, you need Linux.) For example, on my
Windows 7 laptop, there are a few files on C:
which are "Access Denied" under any circumstances
(even with nfi.exe), which can be viewed from Linux.
They're not real files, which is why Windows won't
let you look at them. But I got a look with Linux
(they were empty).

Paul

- Bobb -

DVD contents

T:\AUDIO_TS ( = empty)
T:\VIDEO_TS
T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.BUP
T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO
T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.VOB
T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.BUP
T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.VOB
T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB
T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.VOB
T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_4.VOB
T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_5.VOB
T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_6.VOB
T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_7.VOB
T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_8.VOB

/b = Just the filename
/s = subdirectories

"Chas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fTGOq.27677$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What are the command line switches /S and /B...what do they command or
> stipulate?
> Thank you. . .chas
>> So, humor us, and list the contents of the DVD. What
>> files *can* you see, and in what folder(s) ?
>>
>> (In a command prompt window, you can do
>>
>> dir /S /B e: > output.txt
>>
>> to redirect a directory listing of the "e:" DVD drive to
>> a text file. Then, open the output.txt file in Notepad and
>> copy out the interesting bits into a posting. If you can't
>> find the output.txt file, use your Windows "search" to find it.)
>>
>> Next, get a copy of this program, and see if you can
>> get format information. This program normally works
>> with video files, but check and see if you can see
>> an audio track on the files in question.
>>
>> http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip
>>
>> The disc could be protected with something. But
>> I'm not up on all the methods (like say, a Sony rootkit).
>>
>> Paul

Paul

- Bobb - wrote:
> DVD contents
>
> T:\AUDIO_TS ( = empty)
> T:\VIDEO_TS
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.BUP
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.VOB
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.BUP
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.VOB
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.VOB
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_4.VOB
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_5.VOB
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_6.VOB
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_7.VOB
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_8.VOB
>
> /b = Just the filename
> /s = subdirectories

OK, unpack the

http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

download, and use gspot.exe . Feed it a file like this.

T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.VOB

and check the tracks inside the file. Does GSpot
claim to be able to play them ? GSpot should use
the same process as GraphEdit. The buttons at the
bottom trigger attempts to get codecs already on
your machine, to play the files. (There are other
ways to play files, besides loose codec files, so
this isn't the only way. Just a simple test.)

For example, this is the output from a track of
a home made DVD. Apparently encoded with linear PCM.
Using the buttons, like the "audio" buttons 1,2,3
in the lower right corner, the sound does actually
play. I have to turn the volume knob on the PC all
the way up to hear it, for some reason (well,
it's home made, and what you'd expect )

http://i.imgur.com/SMZbO.gif

Paul

> "Chas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fTGOq.27677$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What are the command line switches /S and /B...what do they command or
>> stipulate?
>> Thank you. . .chas
>>> So, humor us, and list the contents of the DVD. What
>>> files *can* you see, and in what folder(s) ?
>>>
>>> (In a command prompt window, you can do
>>>
>>> dir /S /B e: > output.txt
>>>
>>> to redirect a directory listing of the "e:" DVD drive to
>>> a text file. Then, open the output.txt file in Notepad and
>>> copy out the interesting bits into a posting. If you can't
>>> find the output.txt file, use your Windows "search" to find it.)
>>>
>>> Next, get a copy of this program, and see if you can
>>> get format information. This program normally works
>>> with video files, but check and see if you can see
>>> an audio track on the files in question.
>>>
>>> http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip
>>>
>>> The disc could be protected with something. But
>>> I'm not up on all the methods (like say, a Sony rootkit).
>>>
>>> Paul

- Bobb -

Result - "copy protection" error.
This IS a store bought DVD , right ?

If I try gspot with T:\Video_TS\VIDEO_TS.vob , and choose MS AV --- THAT
works, but it's only the 3 second logo for " Universal Studios DVD ".

Other VOBs give copy protection error when I try to "open file"

news:jeg5ut$nqh$(E-Mail Removed)...
>- Bobb - wrote:
>> DVD contents
>>
>> T:\AUDIO_TS ( = empty)
>> T:\VIDEO_TS
>> T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.BUP
>> T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO
>> T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.VOB
>> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.BUP
>> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
>> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.VOB
>> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
>> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB
>> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.VOB
>> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_4.VOB
>> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_5.VOB
>> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_6.VOB
>> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_7.VOB
>> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_8.VOB
>>
>> /b = Just the filename
>> /s = subdirectories

> OK, unpack the
>
> http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip
>
> download, and use gspot.exe . Feed it a file like this.
>
> T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.VOB
>
> and check the tracks inside the file. Does GSpot
> claim to be able to play them ? GSpot should use
> the same process as GraphEdit. The buttons at the
> bottom trigger attempts to get codecs already on
> your machine, to play the files. (There are other
> ways to play files, besides loose codec files, so
> this isn't the only way. Just a simple test.)
>
> For example, this is the output from a track of
> a home made DVD. Apparently encoded with linear PCM.
> Using the buttons, like the "audio" buttons 1,2,3
> in the lower right corner, the sound does actually
> play. I have to turn the volume knob on the PC all
> the way up to hear it, for some reason (well,
> it's home made, and what you'd expect )
>
> http://i.imgur.com/SMZbO.gif
>
> Paul
>

>> "Chas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fTGOq.27677$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> What are the command line switches /S and /B...what do they command or
>>> stipulate?
>>> Thank you. . .chas
>>> ***********************************************

Paul

- Bobb - wrote:
> Result - "copy protection" error.
> This IS a store bought DVD , right ?
>
> If I try gspot with T:\Video_TS\VIDEO_TS.vob , and choose MS AV --- THAT
> works, but it's only the 3 second logo for " Universal Studios DVD ".
>
> Other VOBs give copy protection error when I try to "open file"

There are all sorts of protection mechanisms, even ones that "overshoot the mark".
I have no first hand experience with them - I don't have any
commercial DVDs in the house. Neither have I rented any.
So I have no source material to test with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeCSS

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/p...ter-owners/114

I would have thought that, plain encryption, would allow copying
a file, but once you try to read it, it would be scrambled and
would require decryption. If, on the other hand, you start
to copy a file, and the file system reports an error,
it's more likely to be monkey business with file system
structures (structures that DVD players don't check, but
computers do check, and the computers run afoul of them
when attempting to make copies). There are likely
solutions out there, for all of them. That's the
nature of this game.

Paul

- Bobb -

news:jegc8k$hgc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>- Bobb - wrote:
>> Result - "copy protection" error.
>> This IS a store bought DVD , right ?
>>
>> If I try gspot with T:\Video_TS\VIDEO_TS.vob , and choose MS AV --- THAT
>> works, but it's only the 3 second logo for " Universal Studios DVD ".
>>
>> Other VOBs give copy protection error when I try to "open file"
>>

> There are all sorts of protection mechanisms, even ones that "overshoot
> the mark".
> I have no first hand experience with them - I don't have any
> commercial DVDs in the house. Neither have I rented any.
> So I have no source material to test with.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeCSS
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/p...ter-owners/114
>
> I would have thought that, plain encryption, would allow copying
> a file, but once you try to read it, it would be scrambled and
> would require decryption. If, on the other hand, you start
> to copy a file, and the file system reports an error,
> it's more likely to be monkey business with file system
> structures (structures that DVD players don't check, but
> computers do check, and the computers run afoul of them
> when attempting to make copies). There are likely
> solutions out there, for all of them. That's the
> nature of this game.
>
> Paul

This seems like it could be a new CAREER and not just something to do
casually. And I thought I'd simply pop it in , record the audio and be done
with it - that was a week ago. I'll do it the old-fashioned way .
Thanks for the help.

kelly

On Jan 5, 3:04*am, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
> I have a concert on DVD
> I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
> What's the easiest way to do this ?
> My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
> DVD. *I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

My bad, Bob. AoA DVD Ripper or Aiseesoft DVD Ripper. I tested
Aiseesoft DVD Ripper extracting the full sound track (size:164,515KB)
from a random movie (The Pranksters) in around three/five minutes. I
chose .mp3 and it's as good as it gets. Hope this helps, Bob.
e-mail me if needed.

- Bobb -

"kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jan 5, 3:04 am, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
> I have a concert on DVD
> I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
> What's the easiest way to do this ?
> My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
> DVD. I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

My bad, Bob. Aiseesoft DVD Ripper. I tested
Aiseesoft DVD Ripper extracting the full sound track (size:164,515KB)
from a random movie (The Pranksters) in around three/five minutes. I
chose .mp3 and it's as good as it gets. Hope this helps, Bob.

That program DOES work.
Next time I'll use it. Thanks