Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak about to be de-listed from stock exchange

Kodak about to be de-listed from stock exchange

RichA

They are under $1.00/share.

philo

On 01/03/2012 10:16 PM, RichA wrote:
> They are under $1.00/share.

Kind of a sad day.

Had they put more emphasis on digital early on...they'd still be doing well.

My first digital camera was a Kodak (1mp) still works fine.

It's the only camera I've ever had to simply "bounce" and keep on
working when dropped on concrete pavement!

An OT side note regarding the stock market...

Many years ago, I got so sick of it, I had my broker sell everything and
just close my account.

Turned out, they couldn't. I had one stock that had *zero* value yet
the company remained in business! So I still own 1500 shares of that
stock, there is just no value. Since was was not able to close the
account... a few years later I got back in and now that my stomach is
tougher....don't panic and seem to be doing ok

David Dyer-Bennet

philo <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 01/03/2012 10:16 PM, RichA wrote:
>> They are under $1.00/share.

> Kind of a sad day.
>
> Had they put more emphasis on digital early on...they'd still be doing well.

They tried *really* hard to get going in digital. I don't know that any
large established company could really have done more. It just didn't
*work*. They pushed photo CD (and there was supposed to be a home
player, but that got delayed too long in development), and they made all
the early DSLRs, and they still make sensors for some high-end cameras,
and they tried to make digital picture frames go, and they made some
pretty early and quite decent P&S digital cameras. And lots of smaller
things. They set up digital integration with their film processing
lines.

Even if you see the train coming, sometimes you can't get off the tracks
in time.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

RichA

On Jan 4, 10:26*am, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> philo <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > On 01/03/2012 10:16 PM, RichA wrote:
> >> They are under $1.00/share.

> > Kind of a sad day.

> > Had they put more emphasis on digital early on...they'd still be doing well.

> They tried *really* hard to get going in digital. *I don't know that any
> large established company could really have done more. *It just didn't
> *work*.

Producing low-end, commodity junk didn't work. Sitting back while
Canon clobbered and passed them in DSLRs didn't work. Their last
bastion are high-end CCD sensors and (I think) high-volume printing
equipment. I guess they'll end up selling off that part of their
business.

David Dyer-Bennet

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Jan 4, 10:26*am, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> philo <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> > Kind of a sad day.

>> > Had they put more emphasis on digital early on...they'd still be doing well.

>> They tried *really* hard to get going in digital. *I don't know that any
>> large established company could really have done more. *It just didn't
>> *work*.

> Producing low-end, commodity junk didn't work.

That's what they're mostly doing *now*, but that's after already
losing. Their earlier tries at P&S weren't commodity junk.

> Sitting back while Canon clobbered and passed them in DSLRs didn't
> work.

They didn't sit back; Canon (and more importantly Nikon, with the D1 and
D100) just passed them. Kodak didn't really know how to engineer
consumer products -- for cheap volume manufacturing while getting the
needed quality.

> Their last bastion are high-end CCD sensors and (I think) high-volume
> printing equipment. I guess they'll end up selling off that part of
> their business.

And lots of industrial chemical stuff, and the film business, which is
clearly declining but still nono-trivial.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, (E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Kennedy McEwen

In article <je1mh4$1lq$(E-Mail Removed)>, philo <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes
>On 01/03/2012 10:16 PM, RichA wrote:
>> They are under $1.00/share.

>Kind of a sad day.
>
>Had they put more emphasis on digital early on...they'd still be doing well.

Let's not forget that, apart from Foveon based units, all digital colour
cameras whether P&S, dSLR or mirrorless are based on a Kodak invention:
Dr Bryce Bayer's RGB colour filter array. After the CCD, there has
barely been a more fundamental contribution to digital imaging than
that!

If anything, Kodak's problem was putting too much emphasis on digital
too early - spending a fortune resolving problems that Nikon could
exploit later on their cameras and developing technology that everyone
now exploits after the patents expired.

The early bird gets the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the
cheese!
--
Kennedy

Mort

George Kerby wrote:

> On 1/4/12 8:08 AM, in article je1mh4$1lq$(E-Mail Removed), "philo"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 01/03/2012 10:16 PM, RichA wrote:
>>> They are under $1.00/share.

>> Kind of a sad day.
>>
>> Had they put more emphasis on digital early on...they'd still be doing well.
>>

> They were the first one, in 1975...
>
> <http://www.todayandtomorrow.net/2010/08/24/kodaks-first-digital-camera/>
>
> Can't be much earlier than that, but they thought of it as a toy. However in
> the early 90's they put a digital back on a Nikon SLR.

Hi,

IBM did the same thing with its Personal Computer. It thought of it as
a toy, and farmed out the software and chips to two new companies named
Microsoft and Intel. You know the rest of the story.

I still remember Kodachrome 35 mm. film ASA 10 = 1/60th at f 5.6 in
bright sun. That was a lifetime ago.

Mort Linder

philo

On 01/04/2012 05:33 PM, Mort wrote:
> George Kerby wrote:
>>

>> On 1/4/12 8:08 AM, in article je1mh4$1lq$(E-Mail Removed), "philo"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Kind of a sad day.
>>>
>>> Had they put more emphasis on digital early on...they'd still be
>>> doing well.
>>>

>> They were the first one, in 1975...
>>
>> <http://www.todayandtomorrow.net/2010/08/24/kodaks-first-digital-camera/>
>>
>> Can't be much earlier than that, but they thought of it as a toy.
>> However in
>> the early 90's they put a digital back on a Nikon SLR.
>>

> Hi,
>
> IBM did the same thing with its Personal Computer. It thought of it as a
> toy, and farmed out the software and chips to two new companies named
> Microsoft and Intel. You know the rest of the story.
>
> I still remember Kodachrome 35 mm. film ASA 10 = 1/60th at f 5.6 in
> bright sun. That was a lifetime ago.
>
> Mort Linder

I thought I was an old timer...
but ASA 10 film...never knew about that

philo

On 01/04/2012 12:21 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> They tried *really* hard to get going in digital. I don't know that any
>>> large established company could really have done more. It just didn't
>>> *work*.

>> Producing low-end, commodity junk didn't work.

> That's what they're mostly doing *now*, but that's after already
> losing. Their earlier tries at P&S weren't commodity junk.

<snip>

Correct. As I mentioned my early Kodak camera was built like a tank
and still works fine.

Even though it was only 1 mp it produced quality 8 x 10's

and even if enlarged beyond that...still not too bad

David Dyer-Bennet

philo <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 01/04/2012 05:33 PM, Mort wrote:
>> George Kerby wrote:

>>> They were the first one, in 1975...
>>>
>>> <http://www.todayandtomorrow.net/2010/08/24/kodaks-first-digital-camera/>
>>>
>>> Can't be much earlier than that, but they thought of it as a toy.
>>> However in
>>> the early 90's they put a digital back on a Nikon SLR.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> IBM did the same thing with its Personal Computer. It thought of it as a
>> toy, and farmed out the software and chips to two new companies named
>> Microsoft and Intel. You know the rest of the story.
>>
>> I still remember Kodachrome 35 mm. film ASA 10 = 1/60th at f 5.6 in
>> bright sun. That was a lifetime ago.

> I thought I was an old timer...
> but ASA 10 film...never knew about that

He's right, though; the original Kodachrome was ISO 10 (and the slightly
later sheet film daylight balanced version was ASA .

I didn't use it before the ASA 25 version (but I started with Kodachrome
II, the K-12 process ASA 25 version, and then transitioned to Kodachrome
25, the K-14 process version, when that became available).