Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Installation problem

Installation problem

Mike the Kiwi

Each time I double click on the Setup.exe icon whilst trying to install a
couple of programs downloaded and saved to a folder on this computer I get
the following error message and can go no further with the installation.

This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package
exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to
verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

The stupid thing is, I have installed and run both the programs several
times before, but now they're both coming up with this error. Why is that,
what could possibly have changed? Do I need to download and run some other
kind of installer?

I would greatly appreciate someone enlightening me as to WTF is going on and
possibly offer a solution so I can install and use the programs.

TIA for any and all assistance.

Cheers
Mike the Kiwi

Paul

Mike the Kiwi wrote:
> Each time I double click on the Setup.exe icon whilst trying to install a
> couple of programs downloaded and saved to a folder on this computer I get
> the following error message and can go no further with the installation.
>
> This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package
> exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to
> verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.
>
> The stupid thing is, I have installed and run both the programs several
> times before, but now they're both coming up with this error. Why is that,
> what could possibly have changed? Do I need to download and run some other
> kind of installer?
>
> I would greatly appreciate someone enlightening me as to WTF is going on and
> possibly offer a solution so I can install and use the programs.
>
> TIA for any and all assistance.
>
> Cheers
> Mike the Kiwi

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN561

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

For people with older OSes, sometimes the problem is the Windows Installer
version is too old. But in your case, you've already installed these
before, so the Windows Installer version must be OK. But as in the first
article above, perhaps the associated service has been disabled.

Paul

kelly

On Jan 4, 2:19*am, "Mike the Kiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Each time I double click on the Setup.exe icon whilst trying to install a
> couple of programs downloaded and saved to a folder on this computer I get
> the following error message and can go no further with the installation.
>
> This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package
> exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to
> verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.
>
> The stupid thing is, I have installed and run both the programs several
> times before, but now they're both coming up with this error. Why is that,
> what could possibly have changed? Do I need to download and run some other
> kind of installer?
>
> I would greatly appreciate someone enlightening me as to WTF is going on and
> possibly offer a solution so I can install and use the programs.
>
> TIA for any and all assistance.
>
> Cheers
> Mike the Kiwi

Try disabling your anti-virus/security.

Mike the Kiwi

"kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jan 4, 2:19 am, "Mike the Kiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Each time I double click on the Setup.exe icon whilst trying to install a
> couple of programs downloaded and saved to a folder on this computer I get
> the following error message and can go no further with the installation.
>
> This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package
> exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to
> verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.
>
> The stupid thing is, I have installed and run both the programs several
> times before, but now they're both coming up with this error. Why is that,
> what could possibly have changed? Do I need to download and run some other
> kind of installer?
>
> I would greatly appreciate someone enlightening me as to WTF is going on
> and
> possibly offer a solution so I can install and use the programs.
>
> TIA for any and all assistance.
>
> Cheers
> Mike the Kiwi

Try disabling your anti-virus/security.

Followed yr suggestion and tried that but didn't make a shred of difference
I'm afraid.

I'm back in the same boat, same river, going over the same goddam waterfall!
lol

Bville

On 1/3/2012 7:19 PM, Mike the Kiwi wrote:
> Each time I double click on the Setup.exe icon whilst trying to install a
> couple of programs downloaded and saved to a folder on this computer I get
> the following error message and can go no further with the installation.
>
> This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package
> exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to
> verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.
>
> The stupid thing is, I have installed and run both the programs several
> times before, but now they're both coming up with this error. Why is that,
> what could possibly have changed? Do I need to download and run some other
> kind of installer?
>
> I would greatly appreciate someone enlightening me as to WTF is going on and
> possibly offer a solution so I can install and use the programs.
>
> TIA for any and all assistance.
>
> Cheers
> Mike the Kiwi

Have you installed a different anti-virus? I noticed when I installed
McAfee, a lot of programs that I had previously installed wouldn't work
any more.

Mike the Kiwi

"Bville" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jf2dc4$e4f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 1/3/2012 7:19 PM, Mike the Kiwi wrote:
>> Each time I double click on the Setup.exe icon whilst trying to install a
>> couple of programs downloaded and saved to a folder on this computer I
>> get
>> the following error message and can go no further with the installation.
>>
>> This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package
>> exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to
>> verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.
>>
>> The stupid thing is, I have installed and run both the programs several
>> times before, but now they're both coming up with this error. Why is
>> that,
>> what could possibly have changed? Do I need to download and run some
>> other
>> kind of installer?
>>
>> I would greatly appreciate someone enlightening me as to WTF is going on
>> and
>> possibly offer a solution so I can install and use the programs.
>>
>> TIA for any and all assistance.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Mike the Kiwi
>>

> Have you installed a different anti-virus? I noticed when I installed
> McAfee, a lot of programs that I had previously installed wouldn't work
> any more.

Avast is the antivirus I use and it has been on this computer for several
years. Maybe it's an update or a Windows update that's causing it? What do
you think?

Bville

>> Have you installed a different anti-virus? I noticed when I installed
>> McAfee, a lot of programs that I had previously installed wouldn't work
>> any more.

> Avast is the antivirus I use and it has been on this computer for several
> years. Maybe it's an update or a Windows update that's causing it? What do
> you think?

You could try to do a System Restore and pick a point of restoration
before you started having problems.

Or, something in Windows itself could be corrupted. Doing a Windows
repair might work. Just be sure you move all of you files out of the My
Documents Folder to another drive because the repair will erase that Folder.

Woof

> Each time I double click on the Setup.exe icon whilst trying to install a
> couple of programs downloaded and saved to a folder on this computer I get
> the following error message and can go no further with the installation.
>
> This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists
> and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that
> this is a valid Windows Installer package.
>
> The stupid thing is, I have installed and run both the programs several times
> before, but now they're both coming up with this error. Why is that, what
> could possibly have changed? Do I need to download and run some other kind of
> installer?
>
> I would greatly appreciate someone enlightening me as to WTF is going on and
> possibly offer a solution so I can install and use the programs.
>
> TIA for any and all assistance.
>
> Cheers
> Mike the Kiwi

You don't specify system or OS, what the programs are, or if they
require NET Frameworks. Updates to the NET Frameworks out of order can
cause problems with software installations.

Which of the MS Installers do you have installed? A newer installer
MIGHT help:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...px?q=Installer

Otherwise, more info would be helpful in resolving your issue.

Mike the Kiwi

"Woof" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jf7lsa$cue$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Each time I double click on the Setup.exe icon whilst trying to install a
>> couple of programs downloaded and saved to a folder on this computer I
>> get the following error message and can go no further with the
>> installation.
>>
>> This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package
>> exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to
>> verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.
>>
>> The stupid thing is, I have installed and run both the programs several
>> times before, but now they're both coming up with this error. Why is
>> that, what could possibly have changed? Do I need to download and run
>> some other kind of installer?
>>
>> I would greatly appreciate someone enlightening me as to WTF is going on
>> and possibly offer a solution so I can install and use the programs.
>>
>> TIA for any and all assistance.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Mike the Kiwi

> You don't specify system or OS, what the programs are, or if they require
> NET Frameworks. Updates to the NET Frameworks out of order can cause
> problems with software installations.
>
> Which of the MS Installers do you have installed? A newer installer MIGHT
> help:
> http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...px?q=Installer
>
> Otherwise, more info would be helpful in resolving your issue.

My computer's specs are:

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer:
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
2.67GHz, 2.00GB RAM

I use Office 2010 but with that I like to install parts of Office 2003 i.e.
Office Toolbar, Save My Settings Wizard, etc which I've successfully done
numerous times before. Office 2010 installed perfectly, but now Office 2003
refuses to install.

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Mike the Kiwi