Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > win 7 64 bit "repair" and windows update

win 7 64 bit "repair" and windows update

miso

I have a program that crashes. I think the software is junk. However,
someone with a bit more invested in the code thinks I have a "broken" DLL.

I vaguely remember doing the MS "repair" using the installation disk. My
question is does Windows update notice this repair and then select the
proper updates? I assume the service pack should be installed after the
repair.

Carlos

Hi,
The best way to repair a program that crashes (if it ever worked) is
to uninstall and install it again.
Carlos

On 3 ene, 01:59, miso <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a program that crashes. I think the software is junk. However,
> someone with a bit more invested in the code thinks I have a "broken" DLL.
>
> I vaguely remember doing the MS "repair" using the installation disk. My
> question is does Windows update notice this repair and then select the
> proper updates? I assume the service pack should be installed after the
> repair.

miso

On 1/3/2012 8:37 AM, Carlos wrote:
> Hi,
> The best way to repair a program that crashes (if it ever worked) is
> to uninstall and install it again.
> Carlos
>
> On 3 ene, 01:59, miso<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have a program that crashes. I think the software is junk. However,
>> someone with a bit more invested in the code thinks I have a "broken" DLL.
>>
>> I vaguely remember doing the MS "repair" using the installation disk. My
>> question is does Windows update notice this repair and then select the
>> proper updates? I assume the service pack should be installed after the
>> repair.

I've done that. The claim is one of the OS DLLs is "broken", so
reinstalling won't fix that.

This program works, but crashes every third day or so. It is a memory
violation. I would bet on some index getting too large or some other
programming error, but the tried and true means to get the customer off
your back is to blame Microsoft. [I have a lot more faith in MS than
your average one man programming shop.]

So the question still remains if windows is smart enough to recognize I
would need new updates.

miso

What a quandary...a mix of top and bottom posters. Somebody is bound to
yell at me so deleted all the old text.

I'm going to spare the author of the software the negative publicity by
mentioning the name, even I seem to be accused of "pilot error" at this
point.

I do not get a BSOD. Win 7 is way better in that respect that older OSs.
I'm not sure I ever got a BSOD with win 7.

I am running win 7 pro 64 bit on an intel atom D525 with nvdia ion2.
[Yes, that atom is 64 bit.] Specifically the Asus at510nt-i. Yes, I know
this was considered a flaky mobo when it first hit the market. Mine has
had all it's shots (bios, drivers, etc.) and works very well. I run
4Gbytes of ram. The VM is turned off since I use a SSD. No indexing
either. Otherwise this is a very normal installation. The PC is a low
power 12V unit that uses a power supply capable of using a gel cell as a
source, so it is regulated to an insane quality.

The exception code is 0xc0000005. Most online searches blame antivirus
programs for causing this problem. [Note, when you can't point a finger
at Redmond, point a finger a Norton.] I turned off all antivirus
software and the program still crashes. I find it is most stable using
win XP compatibility. I am resistant to installing the XP virtual
machine, though since I have the Pro version, I believe that is a free
download.

I take it nobody actually knows the answer to if windows will apply
updates after a repair. If this is the case, I need to take this
question to another forum.

What I really need to do is convince the programmer that this PC is
God's gift to computing, so just compile a version of the software with
all the debugging turned on and let's find the index exceeding the array
limit. [All software has bugs.] If the thing was OSS, that would be job
one as far as I'm concerned, but I don't have source code and the
programmer already got paid. The claim is thousands of people run this
software without a problem.

BullDawg

Has the program ever worked? If so, try a system restore to a date before
the program stopped working.

OT: BTW, I am mostly a top poster. There advantages to both top and
bottom, but most seem to use top. There is no reason to drive on the left
side of the road when everyone else is driving on the right and vice versa
for those in countries that drive on the left. For those countries where
everyone seems to drive on the left, right, middle, or wherever, confusion
reigns, as happened in this thread.

The one rule I try to observe: If the thread has started with bottom
posting, I try to continue with bottom posting. I sometimes forget, but I
try.

--
______________

BullDawg
In God We Trust
______________
"miso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:je03v5$lfk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What a quandary...a mix of top and bottom posters. Somebody is bound to
> yell at me so deleted all the old text.
>
> I'm going to spare the author of the software the negative publicity by
> mentioning the name, even I seem to be accused of "pilot error" at this
> point.
>
> I do not get a BSOD. Win 7 is way better in that respect that older OSs.
> I'm not sure I ever got a BSOD with win 7.
>
> I am running win 7 pro 64 bit on an intel atom D525 with nvdia ion2. [Yes,
> that atom is 64 bit.] Specifically the Asus at510nt-i. Yes, I know this
> was considered a flaky mobo when it first hit the market. Mine has had all
> it's shots (bios, drivers, etc.) and works very well. I run 4Gbytes of
> ram. The VM is turned off since I use a SSD. No indexing either. Otherwise
> this is a very normal installation. The PC is a low power 12V unit that
> uses a power supply capable of using a gel cell as a source, so it is
> regulated to an insane quality.
>
> The exception code is 0xc0000005. Most online searches blame antivirus
> programs for causing this problem. [Note, when you can't point a finger at
> Redmond, point a finger a Norton.] I turned off all antivirus software and
> the program still crashes. I find it is most stable using win XP
> compatibility. I am resistant to installing the XP virtual machine, though
> since I have the Pro version, I believe that is a free download.
>
> I take it nobody actually knows the answer to if windows will apply
> updates after a repair. If this is the case, I need to take this question
> to another forum.
>
> What I really need to do is convince the programmer that this PC is God's
> gift to computing, so just compile a version of the software with all the
> debugging turned on and let's find the index exceeding the array limit.
> [All software has bugs.] If the thing was OSS, that would be job one as
> far as I'm concerned, but I don't have source code and the programmer
> already got paid. The claim is thousands of people run this software
> without a problem.

Jeff Layman

On 03/01/2012 23:45, miso wrote:
> What a quandary...a mix of top and bottom posters. Somebody is bound to
> yell at me so deleted all the old text.
>
> I'm going to spare the author of the software the negative publicity by
> mentioning the name, even I seem to be accused of "pilot error" at this
> point.
>
> I do not get a BSOD. Win 7 is way better in that respect that older OSs.
> I'm not sure I ever got a BSOD with win 7.
>
> I am running win 7 pro 64 bit on an intel atom D525 with nvdia ion2.
> [Yes, that atom is 64 bit.] Specifically the Asus at510nt-i. Yes, I know
> this was considered a flaky mobo when it first hit the market. Mine has
> had all it's shots (bios, drivers, etc.) and works very well. I run
> 4Gbytes of ram. The VM is turned off since I use a SSD. No indexing
> either. Otherwise this is a very normal installation. The PC is a low
> power 12V unit that uses a power supply capable of using a gel cell as a
> source, so it is regulated to an insane quality.
>
> The exception code is 0xc0000005. Most online searches blame antivirus
> programs for causing this problem. [Note, when you can't point a finger
> at Redmond, point a finger a Norton.] I turned off all antivirus
> software and the program still crashes. I find it is most stable using
> win XP compatibility. I am resistant to installing the XP virtual
> machine, though since I have the Pro version, I believe that is a free
> download.
>
> I take it nobody actually knows the answer to if windows will apply
> updates after a repair. If this is the case, I need to take this
> question to another forum.
>
> What I really need to do is convince the programmer that this PC is
> God's gift to computing, so just compile a version of the software with
> all the debugging turned on and let's find the index exceeding the array
> limit. [All software has bugs.] If the thing was OSS, that would be job
> one as far as I'm concerned, but I don't have source code and the
> programmer already got paid. The claim is thousands of people run this
> software without a problem.

Just in case there is a corrupt win7 * .dll file, have you considred
running sfc /scannow?
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833)

--

Jeff

miso

On 1/3/2012 11:51 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 03/01/2012 23:45, miso wrote:
>> What a quandary...a mix of top and bottom posters. Somebody is bound to
>> yell at me so deleted all the old text.
>>
>> I'm going to spare the author of the software the negative publicity by
>> mentioning the name, even I seem to be accused of "pilot error" at this
>> point.
>>
>> I do not get a BSOD. Win 7 is way better in that respect that older OSs.
>> I'm not sure I ever got a BSOD with win 7.
>>
>> I am running win 7 pro 64 bit on an intel atom D525 with nvdia ion2.
>> [Yes, that atom is 64 bit.] Specifically the Asus at510nt-i. Yes, I know
>> this was considered a flaky mobo when it first hit the market. Mine has
>> had all it's shots (bios, drivers, etc.) and works very well. I run
>> 4Gbytes of ram. The VM is turned off since I use a SSD. No indexing
>> either. Otherwise this is a very normal installation. The PC is a low
>> power 12V unit that uses a power supply capable of using a gel cell as a
>> source, so it is regulated to an insane quality.
>>
>> The exception code is 0xc0000005. Most online searches blame antivirus
>> programs for causing this problem. [Note, when you can't point a finger
>> at Redmond, point a finger a Norton.] I turned off all antivirus
>> software and the program still crashes. I find it is most stable using
>> win XP compatibility. I am resistant to installing the XP virtual
>> machine, though since I have the Pro version, I believe that is a free
>> download.
>>
>> I take it nobody actually knows the answer to if windows will apply
>> updates after a repair. If this is the case, I need to take this
>> question to another forum.
>>
>> What I really need to do is convince the programmer that this PC is
>> God's gift to computing, so just compile a version of the software with
>> all the debugging turned on and let's find the index exceeding the array
>> limit. [All software has bugs.] If the thing was OSS, that would be job
>> one as far as I'm concerned, but I don't have source code and the
>> programmer already got paid. The claim is thousands of people run this
>> software without a problem.

> Just in case there is a corrupt win7 * .dll file, have you considred
> running sfc /scannow?
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833)

Now we're talking. I forgot about that command. It turns out win 7
security has a special trick so you can get administrator permission on
the command prompt. You put CMD in the search line, but hit
cntl+shift+enter to get administrator permission for the command prompt.
It seems being administrator isn't enough, or I have permissions set
strangely.

In any event, that was a good idea. It found no problems. But does that
really prove all my dlls are sound? What does that command use as a
reference? Do it check a byte count or something like that?

miso

On 1/3/2012 9:00 PM, BullDawg wrote:
> Has the program ever worked? If so, try a system restore to a date before
> the program stopped working.
>
> OT: BTW, I am mostly a top poster. There advantages to both top and
> bottom, but most seem to use top. There is no reason to drive on the left
> side of the road when everyone else is driving on the right and vice versa
> for those in countries that drive on the left. For those countries where
> everyone seems to drive on the left, right, middle, or wherever, confusion
> reigns, as happened in this thread.
>
> The one rule I try to observe: If the thread has started with bottom
> posting, I try to continue with bottom posting. I sometimes forget, but I
> try.

In software, work is a relative term. The eval version ran for 3 days
straight. You would of thought that would flog it. But it turns out it
takes a few days for the bug to show up.

Initially I ran it non-stop. Thinking there might be a memory leak
issue, I started to shut it down daily and restart it. No difference
really.

Jeff Layman

On 04/01/2012 08:35, miso wrote:
> On 1/3/2012 11:51 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:

(snip)

>> Just in case there is a corrupt win7 * .dll file, have you considred
>> running sfc /scannow?
>> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833)
>>

> Now we're talking. I forgot about that command. It turns out win 7
> security has a special trick so you can get administrator permission on
> the command prompt. You put CMD in the search line, but hit
> cntl+shift+enter to get administrator permission for the command prompt.
> It seems being administrator isn't enough, or I have permissions set
> strangely.

Why not just right-click on cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"?

> In any event, that was a good idea. It found no problems. But does that
> really prove all my dlls are sound? What does that command use as a
> reference? Do it check a byte count or something like that?

Did you check the log that sfc makes? See Option Three here:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-checker.html

According to the wiki
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...m_File_Checker
"System File Checker is integrated with Windows Resource Protection,
which protects registry keys and folders as well as critical system
files....Windows File Protection works by registering for notification
of file changes in Winlogon. If any changes are detected to a protected
system file, the modified file is restored from a cached copy located in
a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache. Windows Resource
Protection works by setting discretionary access control lists (DACLs)
and access control lists (ACLs) defined for protected resources.
Permission for full access to modify WRP-protected resources is
restricted to the processes using the Windows Modules Installer service
(TrustedInstaller.exe). Administrators no longer have full rights to
system files."

--

Jeff

Robert Carnegie

On Jan 3, 4:59*am, miso <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a program that crashes. I think the software is junk. However,
> someone with a bit more invested in the code thinks I have a "broken" DLL..
>
> I vaguely remember doing the MS "repair" using the installation disk. My
> question is does Windows update notice this repair and then select the
> proper updates? I assume the service pack should be installed after the
> repair.

Unfortunately I'm not qualified to address this question that you
actually asked - that is, whether the "repair" options on your disk
interfere with Windows Update replacements of original DLLs with this
not being detected by Windows Update subsequently. But that would be
a grave and common problem if it existed, surely?

I have a vague recollection that Windows Update may have a history of
past updates - I was just looking at it in fact - that can be erased,
causing Windows Update to re-consider and re-test whether all existing
updates are required on your PC or are already there. But I'm not
sure about this.

Some authorities prefer simply reinstalling Windows from scratch when
something goes wrong. I found one such when looking for references to
a problem that turned out to be a hugely faulty non-ECC memory module,
not detected by BIOS test (omitting EFI diagnostics because I'd
misplaced the SD card copy of the EFI software) but detected by
Memtest86+ on the free-download bootable SystemRescueCD. I thought
that responding to the blue-screen at boot that /did/ indicate a
memory problem, by reinstalling Windows from scratch, was premature.
But if you can do that - or can restore a previous working system
image - it does cut out much fiddling around.

I think in your case you are not quite on firm ground if the PC isn't
Microsoft-certified Windows 7 hardware or other third-party assured.
You're right, all software has bugs. But so does almost all
electronics, including the CPU itself.