Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Hide br tag in tooltip

Hide br tag in tooltip

mar

How can I keep the br (line break) tag from appearing in the web
browser's mouseOver tooltip?

I am using phpMyAdmin with MySQL for the database.
The sidebar for my Google mashup has a menu that pulls from the database
and I need to have line breaks for some of the menu items.
To see an example go to this address and mouse over the marker for
"Airport Clintonville"
Thank you, mar

http://www.waupacaareachamber.com/community-map-2/

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
mar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How can I keep the br (line break) tag from appearing in the web
> browser's mouseOver tooltip?
>
> I am using phpMyAdmin with MySQL for the database.
> The sidebar for my Google mashup has a menu that pulls from the database
> and I need to have line breaks for some of the menu items.
> To see an example go to this address and mouse over the marker for
> "Airport Clintonville"
> Thank you, mar
>
> http://www.waupacaareachamber.com/community-map-2/

Your page seems never to fully load into any of my browsers,
spinning thing in tab, but when *looking* loaded in the viewport
itself, when I mouse over the microscopic text you mention (it's
ok, I used an electron microscope I keep handy), there is no
tooltip.

Anyway, there are various ways to simulate tooltips. I think the
way at

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/hove...dropdownWay.ht
ml>

might be positioned in a way you might want?

--
dorayme

Norman Peelman

On 01/01/2012 06:16 AM, Ben C wrote:
> On 2011-12-31, mar<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> How can I keep the br (line break) tag from appearing in the web
>> browser's mouseOver tooltip?
>>
>> I am using phpMyAdmin with MySQL for the database.
>> The sidebar for my Google mashup has a menu that pulls from the database
>> and I need to have line breaks for some of the menu items.
>> To see an example go to this address and mouse over the marker for
>> "Airport Clintonville"
>> Thank you, mar
>>
>> http://www.waupacaareachamber.com/community-map-2/

> I'm not getting a popup at all. Perhaps you've created something that
> only works in IE?
>
> Anyway, your original problem is most likely something you need to read
> the phpMyAdmin docs for. I've never used that package, but it probably
> automatically escapes anything that comes out of the database-- i.e.
> turns< into&lt; etc-- as this is generally much safer. It may have a
> way of turning that behaviour off temporarily.

I get it, you have to click the 'Airport Clintonville' hyperlink,
which will then load the map for that link. You will see a large balloon
popup pointing to a marker on the map. Hover over the marker and a
tooltip will popup with the <br> tags in it.

Since the markers are a part of the map you must be sending this info
as part of the marker creation, you probably need to 'clean it up'
there. Probably something to do with the 'createMarker' function and the
title:name, name variables... I can't seem to wrangle firebug into
editing it though so just try to replace <br> in name with " " and see
if that does it.

--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062

Peter

In article <jdpkvl$jg7$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On 01/01/2012 06:16 AM, Ben C wrote:
> > On 2011-12-31, mar<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> How can I keep the br (line break) tag from appearing in the web
> >> browser's mouseOver tooltip?
> >>
> >> I am using phpMyAdmin with MySQL for the database.
> >> The sidebar for my Google mashup has a menu that pulls from the database
> >> and I need to have line breaks for some of the menu items.
> >> To see an example go to this address and mouse over the marker for
> >> "Airport Clintonville"
> >> Thank you, mar
> >>
> >> http://www.waupacaareachamber.com/community-map-2/

> > I'm not getting a popup at all. Perhaps you've created something that
> > only works in IE?
> >
> > Anyway, your original problem is most likely something you need to read
> > the phpMyAdmin docs for. I've never used that package, but it probably
> > automatically escapes anything that comes out of the database-- i.e.
> > turns< into&lt; etc-- as this is generally much safer. It may have a
> > way of turning that behaviour off temporarily.

> I get it, you have to click the 'Airport Clintonville' hyperlink,
> which will then load the map for that link. You will see a large balloon
> popup pointing to a marker on the map. Hover over the marker and a
> tooltip will popup with the <br> tags in it.
>
> Since the markers are a part of the map you must be sending this info
> as part of the marker creation, you probably need to 'clean it up'
> there. Probably something to do with the 'createMarker' function and the
> title:name, name variables... I can't seem to wrangle firebug into
> editing it though so just try to replace <br> in name with " " and see
> if that does it.

If you're using php server side to create this page then take a look at
the php function str_replace to remove that <br>:

str_replace("<br>"," ",$yourstring);

This should leave a space where the <br> tag used to be.

Obviously this all depends upon what this Google mashup is and whether
you can control how it receives that data. If it just pulls it directly
from the database then perhaps you're going to have to create 2 separate
fields. One for the left menu and one for the popup.

--
Pete Ives