Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Creating a binary only python distribution of a C extension moduleand including some additional python and c files in it

Creating a binary only python distribution of a C extension moduleand including some additional python and c files in it

akhilesh singhania

Hi,

I have a extension module in C which I want to distribute in binary
format, ideally an rpm. Additionally, I want to include some python
files (examples on how to use the extension module) and source for a
library the module dynamically links to (c,h, and make files).

How do I specify the example python file in setup.py so that it will
be included in the rpm?

If I specify it as scripts, I get the following error:

$ python setup.py bdist --format=rpm

running build_scripts
creating build/scripts-2.6
error: file 'foo.py' does not exist
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.yjws9x (%build)
If I specify it as data_files, I get the following error:

$ python setup.py bdist --format=rpm

error: Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
/usr/foo.pyc
/usr/foo.pyo
If I specify it as py_modules, I do not get errors but it is not
included in the resulting rpm.

Specifying it as a script works if I use

$ python setup.py bdist --format=gztar
Additionally, can I control the hierarchy of how the files are laid
out in the rpm?

Currently, I am specifying the c,h,make files as data_files and they
get placed in /usr, which is not desirable.

Regards,
akhi