Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Top of page

Top of page

Deaf Lugs

I have some very long html pages so I'm using <a href="#top"> at
intervals to get to the top of each page. The trouble is that there is a
php toolbar at the top of each page and, of course. the page always
fails to go up past it so it isn't quite the 'top of the page'

Anyone know of a way round this so that it does go to the correct top of
the page and not under the toolbar?

--
TTFN
Jim

'Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vicendarum!'

Jonathan N. Little

Deaf Lugs wrote:
> I have some very long html pages so I'm using <a href="#top"> at
> intervals to get to the top of each page. The trouble is that there is a
> php toolbar at the top of each page and, of course. the page always
> fails to go up past it so it isn't quite the 'top of the page'
>
> Anyone know of a way round this so that it does go to the correct top of
> the page and not under the toolbar?

Have the php inserted code positioned AFTER the "top" anchor. WAG since
you failed to provide a URL to the problem in question.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jukka K. Korpela

2011-12-30 16:19, Deaf Lugs wrote:

> I have some very long html pages so I'm using <a href="#top"> at
> intervals to get to the top of each page. The trouble is that there is a
> php toolbar at the top of each page and, of course. the page always
> fails to go up past it so it isn't quite the 'top of the page'
>
> Anyone know of a way round this so that it does go to the correct top of
> the page and not under the toolbar?

Workaround: <a href="#">.

Better workaround: remove the anchor name "top" from its current place
of definition, and use <body id=top>.

Solution: Stop creating the problem. "Back to top" considered harmful;
arguments: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/totop.html

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Deaf Lugs

On 30/12/2011 15:16, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> 2011-12-30 16:19, Deaf Lugs wrote:
>
>> I have some very long html pages so I'm using<a href="#top"> at
>> intervals to get to the top of each page. The trouble is that there is a
>> php toolbar at the top of each page and, of course. the page always
>> fails to go up past it so it isn't quite the 'top of the page'
>>
>> Anyone know of a way round this so that it does go to the correct top of
>> the page and not under the toolbar?

> Workaround:<a href="#">.
>
> Better workaround: remove the anchor name "top" from its current place
> of definition, and use<body id=top>.
>
> Solution: Stop creating the problem. "Back to top" considered harmful;
> arguments: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/totop.html

Thanks!