Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > IP address blocked

IP address blocked

Gib Bogle

On 10/01/2012 9:39 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
>> The problem is clearly at my end, i.e. Win7, since tracert shows that
>> the packet does not make the first hop, to my DSL modem. As soon as I
>> disconnect from the VPN the packet gets through.
>>
>> The IT people have not been able to make any useful suggestions.

> You've sorta lost me, again You said previously that you lose
> internet access on your *work* PC?

No, I did not say that. I am working at home. I use VPN + Remote
Desktop to access my work computer. About once a week there is a
problem. RD fails to connect to my work computer, and I have determined
that when this is the case internet access from my home computer to
auckland.ac.nz is lost while the VPN connection is up. I cannot ping
auckland.ac.nz, and tracert shows that the first packet hop to my DSL
modem fails. Disconnecting from VPN makes the site accessible again
(e.g. ping works). The only way I can get VPN + RD to work again is by
restarting.

What is unclear in this description?

> There's usually not much to do on the client side of a VPN connection -
> what VPN s/w are you using?... Win 7 or third party?

Cisco

> And on your above reply, what sort of packet doesn't make it to your
> modem? Is this an internet destined packet? This is normal behaviour
> if you have a VPN connection up (you lose local internet (and network)
> access).

The packet that tracert sends out. This behaviour is not normal for me.
I am connected to my work machine at the moment with VPN + RD, and I
can ping and browse auckland.ac.nz and all other IP addresses. VPN
works perfectly almost all the time.

Gib Bogle

On 10/01/2012 9:39 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:

> I'm also wondering if you have a VPN credentials problem ??? If you
> have a Windows Live a/c, then check this article out (Vista, but
> probably the same for W7)...
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-
> US/itprovistanetworking/thread/275599f0-6239-46a5-8245-50a5c13a2713/

This doesn't seem relevant.

> Otherwise, I think you should install a packet sniffer such Wireshark or
> Microsoft Network Monitor on your PC and hopefully find out exactly
> what's happening...
> http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ang=en&id=4865
> http://www.wireshark.org/

Good suggestions - thanks.

> And one other question, what server OS?

Which server? If you mean the university VPN server, I have no idea.

Dave Doe

In article <jeibl5$36h$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Gib
Bogle says...

> On 10/01/2012 9:39 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> >> The problem is clearly at my end, i.e. Win7, since tracert shows that
> >> the packet does not make the first hop, to my DSL modem. As soon as I
> >> disconnect from the VPN the packet gets through.
> >>
> >> The IT people have not been able to make any useful suggestions.

> > You've sorta lost me, again You said previously that you lose
> > internet access on your *work* PC?

> No, I did not say that. I am working at home. I use VPN + Remote
> Desktop to access my work computer. About once a week there is a
> problem. RD fails to connect to my work computer, and I have determined
> that when this is the case internet access from my home computer to
> auckland.ac.nz is lost while the VPN connection is up. I cannot ping
> auckland.ac.nz, and tracert shows that the first packet hop to my DSL
> modem fails. Disconnecting from VPN makes the site accessible again
> (e.g. ping works). The only way I can get VPN + RD to work again is by
> restarting.
>
> What is unclear in this description?

OK, I'm with yer now. Well, it's a Cisco VPN client, so I don't know
much about it - but if it was the Windows VPN connection, I'd check the
"Use default gateway on remote network" setting, in the VPN properties,
properties of the IPV4. The Cisco client may well have something
similar??? - becuase this is usually ON (checked). This enables correct
access to all the shares on the server etc. *But*, if you then use RDP
to connect, it will probalby interfere with that, as your *local*
internet is probably not available (due to that setting).

So... if you can find a similar setting in the Cisco VPN client, try
either which!

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

(E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...

> In article <jeibl5$36h$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Gib
> Bogle says...

> > > You've sorta lost me, again You said previously that you lose
> > > internet access on your *work* PC?

> > No, I did not say that. I am working at home. I use VPN + Remote
> > Desktop to access my work computer. About once a week there is a
> > problem. RD fails to connect to my work computer, and I have determined
> > that when this is the case internet access from my home computer to
> > auckland.ac.nz is lost while the VPN connection is up. I cannot ping
> > auckland.ac.nz, and tracert shows that the first packet hop to my DSL
> > modem fails. Disconnecting from VPN makes the site accessible again
> > (e.g. ping works). The only way I can get VPN + RD to work again is by
> > restarting.
> >
> > What is unclear in this description?

> OK, I'm with yer now. Well, it's a Cisco VPN client, so I don't know
> much about it - but if it was the Windows VPN connection, I'd check the
> "Use default gateway on remote network" setting, in the VPN properties,
> properties of the IPV4. The Cisco client may well have something
> similar??? - becuase this is usually ON (checked). This enables correct
> access to all the shares on the server etc. *But*, if you then use RDP
> to connect, it will probalby interfere with that, as your *local*
> internet is probably not available (due to that setting).

Or, you use RDP (on the remote server) to connect to your desktop -
that's more like it huh? In that case, if you can find that similar
setting in the Cisco VPN client, it should definitely be ON (so you DO
use the remote default gateway settings).

--
Duncan.

Gib Bogle

On 11/01/2012 2:18 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> In article<jeibl5$36h$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Gib
> Bogle says...

> OK, I'm with yer now. Well, it's a Cisco VPN client, so I don't know
> much about it - but if it was the Windows VPN connection, I'd check the
> "Use default gateway on remote network" setting, in the VPN properties,
> properties of the IPV4. The Cisco client may well have something
> similar??? - becuase this is usually ON (checked). This enables correct
> access to all the shares on the server etc. *But*, if you then use RDP
> to connect, it will probalby interfere with that, as your *local*
> internet is probably not available (due to that setting).
>
> So... if you can find a similar setting in the Cisco VPN client, try
> either which!

Remember - it works perfectly most of the time, therefore I doubt that
any VPN setting are wrong. It worked always with Windows XP.

BTW I run Remote Desktop on my home computer - I'm not aware of any
other way to do it, since it's a Windows program.

Site to open the blocked sites and blocked and encoded alagmy2030 Javascript 0 02-11-2011 11:54 PM
obtaining the IP ADDRESS of an IP POHNE by its MAC ADDRESS ProgDario Cisco 17 05-06-2005 02:32 PM
Routing to public IP of NAT address from internal NAT address Andrew Albert Cisco 1 02-08-2005 07:05 PM
blocked address John Computer Security 4 02-26-2004 04:28 AM
question about a blocked attack including other's IP address yellow submarine Computer Support 14 10-01-2003 04:21 PM

Advertisments