Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > how to set up a wireless internet in win98

how to set up a wireless internet in win98

lovecraft lovecraft is offline
Junior Member

in our house we have a cisco wireless home router . my PC is running on win xp and having a wireless net card that connects the internet though the router after connecting to our SSID and is working perfectly, same goes for the labtop with win 7 OS. now let's get to the problem, we took out an old PC from the store that was running on win xp previously. this pc has a wireless D-link network card. my father asked me to format the PC and install win 98. I installed the wireless card driver through device manager and now the device manger recognized the card with no problems. I also set TCP/IP protocol in "control panel>network" and also set the IP and subnet mask and gateway. the problem now is that there is no small computer icon on the system tray which indicates the network connection. and no matter where I try to make a new internet connection though "programs>accessories>communications>dialup network" or though "internet explorer>internet options>connection" I always end up asked for the old modem dial up network settings. this computer is not using an old dial up modem, its using a wireless card that gets the internet though the home cisco router. so what should I do to get the the small computer in the system tray appear? or at least where should I go to choose SSID to connect to? does win 98 support other than the old dial up networking? I forgot to say that my windows 98 is the original edition not the second edition SE.
by the way I found in one forums that I can set up the internet connection though firefox browser, but firefox doesn't support win 98. any other ideas?

thank you in advanced