Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > cleaning monitor screen

cleaning monitor screen

Geopelia

"WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> "WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> That's what 'instruction manuals' are for.
>>>

>> I haven't got one, or I would refer to it.

> Then...
>
> 1: Right-click on your desktop (blank part of screen with no programs
> open.)
>
> 2: Click "Properties"
>
> 3: Click the "Settings" tab
>
> You should see a "Screen Resolution" setting with a slider. Check your
> resolution settings and change as required.

Thank you. I did that.

the slider is near Less 1024 by 768 pixels.
Colour quality Highest (32 bit)

I think that is where the computer man would have put it.
I didn't change it.

Frank Williams

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 23:29:25 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 17:49:51 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:jf7ket$5r1$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>I'll probably be getting him out soon. There are a lot of buttons but I
>>>don't know what they do. I expect they are to adjust things.
>>>

>> Its nothing at all to do with buttons is all in the OS..
>>
>> And that is very easy to do what OS are you using ??
>>

>XP
>Or is there something special for the monitor somewhere on the computer?

Dead simple

go to Control Panel and click on the Display Icon then go to Settings
tabs, use Screen resolution slider to set it to 1280 x 1024 and the
Colour quality to 32 bits then OK..

Frank Williams

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:12:01 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> Geopelia wrote:
>>> "WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> I haven't got one, or I would refer to it.

>> Then...
>>
>> 1: Right-click on your desktop (blank part of screen with no programs
>> open.)
>>
>> 2: Click "Properties"
>>
>> 3: Click the "Settings" tab
>>
>> You should see a "Screen Resolution" setting with a slider. Check your
>> resolution settings and change as required.
>>

>Thank you. I did that.
>
>the slider is near Less 1024 by 768 pixels.
>Colour quality Highest (32 bit)
>
>I think that is where the computer man would have put it.
>I didn't change it.

Set it for 1280 x 1024 that's a MUST..

You can change the size of the Text and Icons by other means, But not by
changing the Screen resolution.

Dave Doe

In article <jfa0vb$gnm$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Geopelia
says...

> "WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > Geopelia wrote:
> >> "WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> >> I haven't got one, or I would refer to it.

> > Then...
> >
> > 1: Right-click on your desktop (blank part of screen with no programs
> > open.)
> >
> > 2: Click "Properties"
> >
> > 3: Click the "Settings" tab
> >
> > You should see a "Screen Resolution" setting with a slider. Check your
> > resolution settings and change as required.
> >

> Thank you. I did that.
>
> the slider is near Less 1024 by 768 pixels.
> Colour quality Highest (32 bit)
>
> I think that is where the computer man would have put it.
> I didn't change it.

You should - as that doesn't sound right. You have a "4:3" resolution
setting. But the Philips 190B is a "widescreen" format. So as a couple
of others have said, beef up that res to a supported (and widescreen)
format - you won't believe the difference!

PS: although I only found some silly Chineese manual doing a search on
the Philips site (prompted me for Chineese font install in Acrobat
Reader), I did find some Philips cleaning instructions - but don't tell
Woger ...
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...r=0077202&ctn=
190B1CB/69&dct=QAC&scy=nz&slg=AEN

Philips Brilliance LCD monitor with Ergo base, USB, Audio 190B1CB 19"w
B-line 1440x900 / Format 16:10
190B1CB/69

Question

How should I clean the LCD surface?

Answer
For normal cleaning, use a clean, soft cloth. For extensive cleaning,
please use isopropyl alcohol. Do not use other solvents such as ethyl
alcohol, ethanol, acetone, hexane etc.

--
Duncan.

Frank Williams

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:29:19 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <jfa0vb$gnm$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Geopelia
>says...
>>
>> "WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>> > Then...
>> >
>> > 1: Right-click on your desktop (blank part of screen with no programs
>> > open.)
>> >
>> > 2: Click "Properties"
>> >
>> > 3: Click the "Settings" tab
>> >
>> > You should see a "Screen Resolution" setting with a slider. Check your
>> > resolution settings and change as required.
>> >

>> Thank you. I did that.
>>
>> the slider is near Less 1024 by 768 pixels.
>> Colour quality Highest (32 bit)
>>
>> I think that is where the computer man would have put it.
>> I didn't change it.

>You should - as that doesn't sound right. You have a "4:3" resolution
>setting. But the Philips 190B is a "widescreen" format. So as a couple
>of others have said, beef up that res to a supported (and widescreen)
>format - you won't believe the difference!
>
>PS: although I only found some silly Chineese manual doing a search on
>the Philips site (prompted me for Chineese font install in Acrobat
>Reader), I did find some Philips cleaning instructions - but don't tell
>Woger ...
>http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...r=0077202&ctn=
>190B1CB/69&dct=QAC&scy=nz&slg=AEN
>
>Philips Brilliance LCD monitor with Ergo base, USB, Audio 190B1CB 19"w
>B-line 1440x900 / Format 16:10
>190B1CB/69
>
>Question
>
>How should I clean the LCD surface?
>
>Answer
>For normal cleaning, use a clean, soft cloth. For extensive cleaning,
>please use isopropyl alcohol. Do not use other solvents such as ethyl
>alcohol, ethanol, acetone, hexane etc.

Yes but Philips is a totally crap company I should know I had to work on
there Crap.

What I stated is Totally correct

Dave Doe

(E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...

> In article <jfa0vb$gnm$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Geopelia
> says...
> >
> > "WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> > > Then...
> > >
> > > 1: Right-click on your desktop (blank part of screen with no programs
> > > open.)
> > >
> > > 2: Click "Properties"
> > >
> > > 3: Click the "Settings" tab
> > >
> > > You should see a "Screen Resolution" setting with a slider. Check your
> > > resolution settings and change as required.
> > >

> > Thank you. I did that.
> >
> > the slider is near Less 1024 by 768 pixels.
> > Colour quality Highest (32 bit)
> >
> > I think that is where the computer man would have put it.
> > I didn't change it.

> You should - as that doesn't sound right. You have a "4:3" resolution
> setting. But the Philips 190B is a "widescreen" format. So as a couple
> of others have said, beef up that res to a supported (and widescreen)
> format - you won't believe the difference!
>
> PS: although I only found some silly Chineese manual doing a search on
> the Philips site (prompted me for Chineese font install in Acrobat
> Reader), I did find some Philips cleaning instructions - but don't tell
> Woger ...
> http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...r=0077202&ctn=
> 190B1CB/69&dct=QAC&scy=nz&slg=AEN
>
> Philips Brilliance LCD monitor with Ergo base, USB, Audio 190B1CB 19"w
> B-line 1440x900 / Format 16:10
> 190B1CB/69
>
> Question
>
> How should I clean the LCD surface?
>
> Answer
> For normal cleaning, use a clean, soft cloth. For extensive cleaning,
> please use isopropyl alcohol. Do not use other solvents such as ethyl
> alcohol, ethanol, acetone, hexane etc.

Here's a wee FAQ on the resolution you should try setting...
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?
scy=NZ&mid=Link_FAQs&view=aa12_view_partial.html&s ession=20120120023845_
202.0.50.195&list=aa12_list_partial.html&slg=AEN&c tn=190B1CB/75
&dct=FAQ&refnr=0077196&faqview=1

Question
When I install my monitor, what should I do if the screen shows 'Cannot
display this video mode'?

Answer:
The recommended resolution for Philips 19": 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz.

<snip>
2. In the Windows Start Menu, select Settings/Control Panel. In the
Control Panel Window, select the Display icon. Inside the Display
Control Panel, select the 'Settings' tab. Under the setting
tab, in the box labeled 'desktop area', move the slidebar to 1440 x 900
pixels (19").
3. Open 'Advanced Properties' and set the Refresh Rate to 60 Hz, then
click OK.
<snip>

PS: the 'ClearType' setting (which should also help), is in the same
dialog (Display), in the Appearance tab. Click the Effects button, and
check the "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts:"
checkbox and select the 'ClearType' in the dropdown.

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

(E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> (E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...
> >
> > In article <jfa0vb$gnm$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Geopelia
> > says...
> > >
> > > "WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> > > Thank you. I did that.
> > >
> > > the slider is near Less 1024 by 768 pixels.
> > > Colour quality Highest (32 bit)
> > >
> > > I think that is where the computer man would have put it.
> > > I didn't change it.

> > You should - as that doesn't sound right. You have a "4:3" resolution
> > setting. But the Philips 190B is a "widescreen" format. So as a couple
> > of others have said, beef up that res to a supported (and widescreen)
> > format - you won't believe the difference!
> >
> > PS: although I only found some silly Chineese manual doing a search on
> > the Philips site (prompted me for Chineese font install in Acrobat
> > Reader), I did find some Philips cleaning instructions - but don't tell
> > Woger ...
> > http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...r=0077202&ctn=
> > 190B1CB/69&dct=QAC&scy=nz&slg=AEN
> >
> > Philips Brilliance LCD monitor with Ergo base, USB, Audio 190B1CB 19"w
> > B-line 1440x900 / Format 16:10
> > 190B1CB/69
> >
> > Question
> >
> > How should I clean the LCD surface?
> >
> > Answer
> > For normal cleaning, use a clean, soft cloth. For extensive cleaning,
> > please use isopropyl alcohol. Do not use other solvents such as ethyl
> > alcohol, ethanol, acetone, hexane etc.

> Here's a wee FAQ on the resolution you should try setting...
> http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?
> scy=NZ&mid=Link_FAQs&view=aa12_view_partial.html&s ession=20120120023845_
> 202.0.50.195&list=aa12_list_partial.html&slg=AEN&c tn=190B1CB/75
> &dct=FAQ&refnr=0077196&faqview=1

> Question
> When I install my monitor, what should I do if the screen shows 'Cannot
> display this video mode'?
>
> Answer:
> The recommended resolution for Philips 19": 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz.
>
> <snip>
> 2. In the Windows Start Menu, select Settings/Control Panel. In the
> Control Panel Window, select the Display icon. Inside the Display
> Control Panel, select the 'Settings' tab. Under the setting
> tab, in the box labeled 'desktop area', move the slidebar to 1440 x 900
> pixels (19").
> 3. Open 'Advanced Properties' and set the Refresh Rate to 60 Hz, then
> click OK.
> <snip>
>
> PS: the 'ClearType' setting (which should also help), is in the same
> dialog (Display), in the Appearance tab. Click the Effects button, and
> check the "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts:"
> checkbox and select the 'ClearType' in the dropdown.

Here's a screenshot...
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/dun...lipboard03.jpg

--
Duncan.

Geopelia

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:12:01 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

>>> Then...
>>>
>>> 1: Right-click on your desktop (blank part of screen with no programs
>>> open.)
>>>
>>> 2: Click "Properties"
>>>
>>> 3: Click the "Settings" tab
>>>
>>> You should see a "Screen Resolution" setting with a slider. Check your
>>> resolution settings and change as required.
>>>

>>Thank you. I did that.
>>
>>the slider is near Less 1024 by 768 pixels.
>>Colour quality Highest (32 bit)
>>
>>I think that is where the computer man would have put it.
>>I didn't change it.
>>

> Set it for 1280 x 1024 that's a MUST..
>
> You can change the size of the Text and Icons by other means, But not by
> changing the Screen resolution.

I changed it to 1280 by 1024

The type became tiny and unreadable.

So I changed it back to 1024 by 768

Frank Williams

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 00:39:38 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:12:01 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:EbydncOiNbBPhoXSnZ2dnUVZ_rednZ2d@giganews. com...

>>>Thank you. I did that.
>>>
>>>the slider is near Less 1024 by 768 pixels.
>>>Colour quality Highest (32 bit)
>>>
>>>I think that is where the computer man would have put it.
>>>I didn't change it.
>>>

>> Set it for 1280 x 1024 that's a MUST..
>>
>> You can change the size of the Text and Icons by other means, But not by
>> changing the Screen resolution.

>I changed it to 1280 by 1024
>
>The type became tiny and unreadable.
>
>So I changed it back to 1024 by 768

THAT IS NOT THE WAY ITS DONE AT ALL, AND WAY ITS TURNED OUT ITS NOT 1280
x 1024 ON THAT MONITOR.

HEAR IS THE MANUAL

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...&slg=en&scy=NZ

Optimum resolution: 1440x900 @ 60Hz

This is the correct monitor model 190B1CB/75 < the 75 means NZ
model.

Not 190B1CB175 as you listed.

Right click on the Desktop select the Appearance Tab and then select
the Font Size,Then select Effects and check that Clear Type is selected
and also Large Icons..

YOU DO NOT NEED A COMPUTER TECH TO DO THIS A 6 YEAR OLD CAN..

DO WHAT I LIST AND STOP F ING US AROUND, YOU ARE NOT TAKING ANY NOTICE
IN WHAT PEOPLE ARE TELLING YOU TO DO.

NOTE: YOU DO NOT CHANGE THE SCREEN RESOLUTION TO GET BIGGER TEXT.

To me you are becoming a pain in the Ass to deal with..

Geopelia

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 00:39:38 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Set it for 1280 x 1024 that's a MUST..
>>>
>>> You can change the size of the Text and Icons by other means, But not by
>>> changing the Screen resolution.

>>I changed it to 1280 by 1024
>>
>>The type became tiny and unreadable.
>>
>>So I changed it back to 1024 by 768
>>

> THAT IS NOT THE WAY ITS DONE AT ALL, AND WAY ITS TURNED OUT ITS NOT 1280
> x 1024 ON THAT MONITOR.
>

> HEAR IS THE MANUAL
>
> http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...&slg=en&scy=NZ

Thank you.
I tried to get the Manual but the pages are blank. I got a notice that some
components are missing, and something about Adobe.

> Optimum resolution: 1440x900 @ 60Hz
>

> This is the correct monitor model 190B1CB/75 < the 75 means NZ
> model.
>

> Not 190B1CB175 as you listed.

So it's /75 not 175 It's very hard to see which, reading it off at the
back.

> Right click on the Desktop select the Appearance Tab and then select
> the Font Size,Then select Effects and check that Clear Type is selected
> and also Large Icons..

I did that.

> YOU DO NOT NEED A COMPUTER TECH TO DO THIS A 6 YEAR OLD CAN..
>
> DO WHAT I LIST AND STOP F ING US AROUND, YOU ARE NOT TAKING ANY NOTICE
> IN WHAT PEOPLE ARE TELLING YOU TO DO.
>

> NOTE: YOU DO NOT CHANGE THE SCREEN RESOLUTION TO GET BIGGER TEXT.
>
> To me you are becoming a pain in the Ass to deal with..

Oh dear, sorry about that.

It's all much too complicated for me. I'll leave it as it is.

Computers weren't around when I was in school seventy years ago.

Thanks to all

Geopelia