Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > cleaning monitor screen

cleaning monitor screen

Geopelia

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2011-12-27, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> wrote:
>> On 27/12/11 23:08, Geopelia wrote:
>>>
>>> The print isn't as clear as the last one, it shows individual dots like
>>> a TV
>>> screen.
>>> But it's readable.
>>>

>> Hmm, I presume that you don't mean a 'flat tube' CRT monitor, but a
>> proper digital monitor? If so you should not be able to see the dots! I
>> can only see them with a magnifying glass on my (cheap) one. A digital
>> monitor should definitely be sharper than a CRT. I suggest that you ask
>> your computer man next time you get him out.
>>

> Agree. The LCD screen while made up of lots of dots, they should not be
> obvious in use.
>
> Where LCD screens get fussy is they need to be driven at the native
> resolution of the screen. Otherwise things get really poor quality.
> letters
> and icons get all fuzzy around the edges. CRT screens can change
> resolution
> with must less loss of quality.
>
> Geo, did you get another monitor recently? If so I would suggest that you
> ask your computer man the next time he is around to check that the
> graphics
> card resolution is correct for the screen.
>
> My thoughts, 2cents worth

Thank you. It's about three years old. I'll ask the computer man when he
next comes.
I can read it quite well so there is no problem.

Enkidu

On 29/12/11 01:59, Geopelia wrote:
> "Enkidu"<cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
> news:4efa508c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 27/12/11 23:08, Geopelia wrote:
>>> "Enkidu"<cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
>>> news:4ef94fef$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> This isn't a laptop, it's a proper monitor but flat instead of having a
>>> big
>>> TV tube in it.
>>>
>>> The print isn't as clear as the last one, it shows individual dots like a
>>> TV
>>> screen.
>>> But it's readable.
>>>

>> Hmm, I presume that you don't mean a 'flat tube' CRT monitor, but a proper
>> digital monitor? If so you should not be able to see the dots! I can only
>> see them with a magnifying glass on my (cheap) one. A digital monitor
>> should definitely be sharper than a CRT. I suggest that you ask your
>> computer man next time you get him out.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff
>>

> Thanks, I'll ask him. I don't think there is a tube in it, it's so thin.
> The letters are rather like the pictures in an old newspaper.
> I've no idea what kind of monitor it is. It's a Philips 190B.

I have a 170B which is a slightly smaller version of yours. The Philips
190B is a 19 inch LCD monitor and should not show the dots in my opinion.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Robin Halligan

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:37:18 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> On 29/12/11 01:59, Geopelia wrote:

>> Thanks, I'll ask him. I don't think there is a tube in it, it's so thin.
>> The letters are rather like the pictures in an old newspaper.
>> I've no idea what kind of monitor it is. It's a Philips 190B.
>>

> I have a 170B which is a slightly smaller version of yours. The Philips
> 190B is a 19 inch LCD monitor and should not show the dots in my opinion.

> Cliff

That depends Cliff maybe Geo's monitor is set way down low res (800X600)
that would give a unpleasant (to most) look but would give a large size for
the text.

Robin.

Geopelia

"Robin Halligan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zdr6ur77ad7w$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:37:18 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> On 29/12/11 01:59, Geopelia wrote:

>>> Thanks, I'll ask him. I don't think there is a tube in it, it's so
>>> thin.
>>> The letters are rather like the pictures in an old newspaper.
>>> I've no idea what kind of monitor it is. It's a Philips 190B.
>>>

>> I have a 170B which is a slightly smaller version of yours. The Philips
>> 190B is a 19 inch LCD monitor and should not show the dots in my opinion.

>> Cliff

> That depends Cliff maybe Geo's monitor is set way down low res (800X600)
> that would give a unpleasant (to most) look but would give a large size
> for
> the text.
>
> Robin.

I've got it on Largest (from View).
The whole screen seems composed of very tiny dots, much smaller than a full
stop.
I'm used to it now, but it was very noticeable when I first got the monitor.

I'll ask the computer man next time he comes.

Enkidu

On 29/12/11 15:54, Robin Halligan wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:37:18 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> On 29/12/11 01:59, Geopelia wrote:

>>> Thanks, I'll ask him. I don't think there is a tube in it, it's
>>> so thin. The letters are rather like the pictures in an old
>>> newspaper. I've no idea what kind of monitor it is. It's a
>>> Philips 190B.
>>>

>> I have a 170B which is a slightly smaller version of yours. The
>> Philips 190B is a 19 inch LCD monitor and should not show the dots
>> in my opinion.

> That depends Cliff maybe Geo's monitor is set way down low res
> (800X600) that would give a unpleasant (to most) look but would give
> a large size for the text.

Yes, agreed. I put my one down to 800x600 and the dots were no more
obvious unless I got up close. On a bigger monitor it would be more
noticeable, I'd guess.

On 29/12/11 17:52, Geopelia wrote:
> "Robin Halligan"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zdr6ur77ad7w$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I have a 170B which is a slightly smaller version of yours. The
>>> Philips 190B is a 19 inch LCD monitor and should not show the
>>> dots in my opinion.

>>> Cliff

>> That depends Cliff maybe Geo's monitor is set way down low res
>> (800X600) that would give a unpleasant (to most) look but would
>> give a large size for the text.
>>
>> Robin.

> I've got it on Largest (from View). The whole screen seems composed
> of very tiny dots, much smaller than a full stop. I'm used to it now,
> but it was very noticeable when I first got the monitor.
>
> I'll ask the computer man next time he comes.

Yes, that's a good idea. I agree with Robin, it may be as good as you
can get, but it's worth asking, isn't it?

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Fred

On 24/12/2011 6:37 p.m., Geopelia wrote:
> Is there any way to clean the monitor screen of a flat computer monitor?
> Philips model ID 190B8CB175
>
> There are very small white spots on the outside of the screen. The letters
> and the cursor are underneath them. It looks as though something has
> splashed small spots on it. They only show when the sun shines on it. They
> look black or grey in shadow.
>
> When the computer man brought the flat screen monitor he warned me not to
> touch the screen.
>
> Hubby is all for giving it a wash! No way.
>
> Geopelia

My original computer was a Dell laptop. I cleaned the screen at least
once a week for over ten years with a bit of window cleaner and a paper
tissue and then I learnt that you are not supposed to do that. Didn't do
any harm at all, and now I've been cleaning my new one same way for more
than a year. I'm careful not to put spray too much product on it - and
that's what I'll keep doing.

Geopelia

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jet72h$5ql$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 24/12/2011 6:37 p.m., Geopelia wrote:
>> Is there any way to clean the monitor screen of a flat computer monitor?
>> Philips model ID 190B8CB175
>>
>> There are very small white spots on the outside of the screen. The
>> letters
>> and the cursor are underneath them. It looks as though something has
>> splashed small spots on it. They only show when the sun shines on it.
>> They
>> look black or grey in shadow.
>>
>> When the computer man brought the flat screen monitor he warned me not to
>> touch the screen.
>>
>> Hubby is all for giving it a wash! No way.
>>
>> Geopelia
>>

> My original computer was a Dell laptop. I cleaned the screen at least once
> a week for over ten years with a bit of window cleaner and a paper tissue
> and then I learnt that you are not supposed to do that. Didn't do any harm
> at all, and now I've been cleaning my new one same way for more than a
> year. I'm careful not to put spray too much product on it - and that's
> what I'll keep doing.

My last monitor was a big heavy one with a glass screen, and I could clean
it like the old TV.
It seems these flat modern ones are rather flimsy.

People here have kindly made suggestions, and I'll see what I can get from
Dick Smith next time I go there.
I'll need a new mouse soon, the wheel on this one doesn't seem to work
properly now.

Dave Doe

In article <jeuaj6$hhc$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Geopelia
says...

> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jet72h$5ql$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On 24/12/2011 6:37 p.m., Geopelia wrote:
> >> Is there any way to clean the monitor screen of a flat computer monitor?
> >> Philips model ID 190B8CB175
> >>
> >> There are very small white spots on the outside of the screen. The
> >> letters
> >> and the cursor are underneath them. It looks as though something has
> >> splashed small spots on it. They only show when the sun shines on it.
> >> They
> >> look black or grey in shadow.
> >>
> >> When the computer man brought the flat screen monitor he warned me not to
> >> touch the screen.
> >>
> >> Hubby is all for giving it a wash! No way.
> >>
> >> Geopelia
> >>

> > My original computer was a Dell laptop. I cleaned the screen at least once
> > a week for over ten years with a bit of window cleaner and a paper tissue
> > and then I learnt that you are not supposed to do that. Didn't do any harm
> > at all, and now I've been cleaning my new one same way for more than a
> > year. I'm careful not to put spray too much product on it - and that's
> > what I'll keep doing.

> My last monitor was a big heavy one with a glass screen, and I could clean
> it like the old TV.

NO! (that said, you don't say how you clean your old TV). The problem
is that your old TV probably did not have an anti-refective COATING.
Your CRT computer monitor almost certainly did. And you WILL scratch
that if you are not careful when cleaning them. And if you do, there's
only one thing to do, keep going, take the entire anti-reflective
coating off. It's a hell of a job!

> It seems these flat modern ones are rather flimsy.

Well go back to your CRT monitor then.

From the advice I've seen given, yes, I'd do just that - all good advice
bar someone suggesting vinegar - I wouldn't go there. Use a lint free
cloth (the purchaseable ones as mentioned by others are generally
excellent, but expensive for what they are), *moistened* with water.
Leave your Handy Andy in the cupboard! (don't use any acid or
alkaline based cleaners - so no Handy Andy, no vinegar!, and definately
no alcohol - or it could be goodbye to the coating). (You *drink* the
Gin!

If I were you I'd buy the electronic screen clean wipe things (Dick
Smith or whatever). You can't go wrong.

Step 1: turn off the monitor.
Step 2: grab a soft towel and gently wipe over the screen to remove dust
(you don't wanna be rubbing dust *into* the screen with the screen
wipes). You're hardly touching the screen, just removing any dust.
Step 3: use a screen wipe and gently go over the screen. Personally, I
try to avoid going sideways, however it's unavoidable in the corners.
And I do go sideways over the whole thing a bit, but even more lightly
than I do when cleaning up and down (which, on an LCD screen you do with
very gentle pressure).

--
Duncan.

Geopelia

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In article <jeuaj6$hhc$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Geopelia
> says...
>>
>> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:jet72h$5ql$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > My original computer was a Dell laptop. I cleaned the screen at least
>> > once
>> > a week for over ten years with a bit of window cleaner and a paper
>> > tissue
>> > and then I learnt that you are not supposed to do that. Didn't do any
>> > harm
>> > at all, and now I've been cleaning my new one same way for more than a
>> > year. I'm careful not to put spray too much product on it - and that's
>> > what I'll keep doing.

>> My last monitor was a big heavy one with a glass screen, and I could
>> clean
>> it like the old TV.

> NO! (that said, you don't say how you clean your old TV). The problem
> is that your old TV probably did not have an anti-refective COATING.
> Your CRT computer monitor almost certainly did. And you WILL scratch
> that if you are not careful when cleaning them. And if you do, there's
> only one thing to do, keep going, take the entire anti-reflective
> coating off. It's a hell of a job!
>
>> It seems these flat modern ones are rather flimsy.

> Well go back to your CRT monitor then.

The colour went on that after about ten years. The red went first and then
the others.
But print etc was much clearer that on the flat one.

I've got an artificial feather duster thing for cleaning the TV. When the
dust gets too thick I just dust it.

> From the advice I've seen given, yes, I'd do just that - all good advice
> bar someone suggesting vinegar - I wouldn't go there. Use a lint free
> cloth (the purchaseable ones as mentioned by others are generally
> excellent, but expensive for what they are), *moistened* with water.
> Leave your Handy Andy in the cupboard! (don't use any acid or
> alkaline based cleaners - so no Handy Andy, no vinegar!, and definately
> no alcohol - or it could be goodbye to the coating). (You *drink* the
> Gin!
>
> If I were you I'd buy the electronic screen clean wipe things (Dick
> Smith or whatever). You can't go wrong.
>
> Step 1: turn off the monitor.
> Step 2: grab a soft towel and gently wipe over the screen to remove dust
> (you don't wanna be rubbing dust *into* the screen with the screen
> wipes). You're hardly touching the screen, just removing any dust.
> Step 3: use a screen wipe and gently go over the screen. Personally, I
> try to avoid going sideways, however it's unavoidable in the corners.
> And I do go sideways over the whole thing a bit, but even more lightly
> than I do when cleaning up and down (which, on an LCD screen you do with
> very gentle pressure).

Thank you.

Fortunately computer stuff is getting much cheaper now.
So far I have replaced the monitor, printer, keyboard and several mice over
the years, and changed to XP and Broadband.
But the rest of it still chugs along with a bit of tweaking from the
computer man now and then.