Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > cleaning monitor screen

cleaning monitor screen

Geopelia

"Enkidu" <cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
news:4ef94fef$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 27/12/11 16:48, Geopelia wrote:
>> "Frank Williams"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> A micro fibres in NOT A CHUX CLOTH DO NOT USE ONE ALL.
>>>

>>> Use a proper LCD/TV cleaning kit

>> Would Dick Smith have one?
>>

> Yes, almost certainly and they will give advise on how to clean laptop
> screens.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

This isn't a laptop, it's a proper monitor but flat instead of having a big
TV tube in it.

The print isn't as clear as the last one, it shows individual dots like a TV
screen.
But it's readable.

Geopelia

"Enkidu" <cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
news:4ef93df0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 27/12/11 00:41, Geopelia wrote:
>> "Gordon"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Those cloths are amazing. Well they do a great job. Clean ones glasses
>>> just
>>> fine and then you throw them in the wash.
>>>
>>> They do grab the dirt off hard surfaces. No moisture required, although
>>> allowed.
>>>
>>> To think that the gecko uses many micro fibres on its feet to climb up a
>>> sheet of glass.

>> Would that be a Chux cloth?
>>

> No, those are too harsh.
> >
>> I haven't had a gecko climbing the computer, but a big stick insect was
>> climbing the TV screen a while ago.
>>

> Ho, ho, too much christmas gin, Geo?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

No, just tomato juice!

I put out all the assorted livestock that gets in here. With being around so
many poisonous creatures in Australia and New Guinea, Hubby won't touch
them.
But at least a Lockwood home has no scrim for mice to breed behind.

Enkidu

On 27/12/11 23:08, Geopelia wrote:
> "Enkidu"<cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
> news:4ef94fef$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 27/12/11 16:48, Geopelia wrote:
>>> "Frank Williams"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Would Dick Smith have one?
>>>

>> Yes, almost certainly and they will give advise on how to clean laptop
>> screens.
>>

> This isn't a laptop, it's a proper monitor but flat instead of having a big
> TV tube in it.
>
> The print isn't as clear as the last one, it shows individual dots like a TV
> screen.
> But it's readable.

Hmm, I presume that you don't mean a 'flat tube' CRT monitor, but a
proper digital monitor? If so you should not be able to see the dots! I
can only see them with a magnifying glass on my (cheap) one. A digital
monitor should definitely be sharper than a CRT. I suggest that you ask
your computer man next time you get him out.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Frank Williams

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 16:48:55 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:41:51 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Would that be a Chux cloth?

>> A micro fibres in NOT A CHUX CLOTH DO NOT USE ONE ALL.
>>

>> Use a proper LCD/TV cleaning kit

>Would Dick Smith have one?

All TV shops have them, DSE has a good one made by Sanus Elements
LCD/Plasma Screen Cleaning Gel

Not Cheap here, the Better Sanus one with a Brush and case sells in the
US for $20us but have seen it listed even by DSE for $70.

I got a Puney one at a fire sale for some $19 but they are listed in
some shops at $60, comes with a 2 sided cloth and the Gel.

>>>I haven't had a gecko climbing the computer, but a big stick insect was
>>>climbing the TV screen a while ago.

Frank Williams

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 23:08:01 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Enkidu" <cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
>news:4ef94fef$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 27/12/11 16:48, Geopelia wrote:
>>> "Frank Williams"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Would Dick Smith have one?
>>>

>> Yes, almost certainly and they will give advise on how to clean laptop
>> screens.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff
>>

>This isn't a laptop, it's a proper monitor but flat instead of having a big
>TV tube in it.
>
>The print isn't as clear as the last one, it shows individual dots like a TV
>screen.
>But it's readable.

Is this a CRT or a LCD screen, any type of cloth or even Toilet paper
can be used on a CRT monitor..

UNLESS ITS ONE WITH THE ANTIREFLECTION COATED SCREENS, LOOK LIKE A BLUE
FILM, THEY ARE VERY EASY TO GET SCRATCHED.

Frank Williams

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 12:11:08 +1300, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> wrote:

>On 27/12/11 23:08, Geopelia wrote:
>> "Enkidu"<cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
>> news:4ef94fef$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Yes, almost certainly and they will give advise on how to clean laptop
>>> screens.
>>>

>> This isn't a laptop, it's a proper monitor but flat instead of having a big
>> TV tube in it.
>>
>> The print isn't as clear as the last one, it shows individual dots like a TV
>> screen.
>> But it's readable.
>>

>Hmm, I presume that you don't mean a 'flat tube' CRT monitor, but a

No THAT IS WHAT HE IS REFERING TO, not a Digital LCD monitor at all.

>proper digital monitor? If so you should not be able to see the dots! I
>can only see them with a magnifying glass on my (cheap) one. A digital
>monitor should definitely be sharper than a CRT. I suggest that you ask
>your computer man next time you get him out.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cliff

Gordon

On 2011-12-27, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> wrote:
> On 27/12/11 23:08, Geopelia wrote:
>>
>> The print isn't as clear as the last one, it shows individual dots like a TV
>> screen.
>> But it's readable.
>>

> Hmm, I presume that you don't mean a 'flat tube' CRT monitor, but a
> proper digital monitor? If so you should not be able to see the dots! I
> can only see them with a magnifying glass on my (cheap) one. A digital
> monitor should definitely be sharper than a CRT. I suggest that you ask
> your computer man next time you get him out.

Agree. The LCD screen while made up of lots of dots, they should not be
obvious in use.

Where LCD screens get fussy is they need to be driven at the native
resolution of the screen. Otherwise things get really poor quality. letters
and icons get all fuzzy around the edges. CRT screens can change resolution
with must less loss of quality.

Geo, did you get another monitor recently? If so I would suggest that you
ask your computer man the next time he is around to check that the graphics
card resolution is correct for the screen.

My thoughts, 2cents worth

Gordon

On 2011-12-27, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I put out all the assorted livestock that gets in here. With being around so
> many poisonous creatures in Australia and New Guinea, Hubby won't touch
> them.
> But at least a Lockwood home has no scrim for mice to breed behind.

Gosh you are really showing your age here Geo. When did scrim on the walls
go out? When lath and plaster came in?

Well maybe not

http://www.bestbrook.com/scrim.htm

Geopelia

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2011-12-27, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> I put out all the assorted livestock that gets in here. With being around
>> so
>> many poisonous creatures in Australia and New Guinea, Hubby won't touch
>> them.
>> But at least a Lockwood home has no scrim for mice to breed behind.
>>

> Gosh you are really showing your age here Geo. When did scrim on the walls
> go out? When lath and plaster came in?
>
> Well maybe not
>
> http://www.bestbrook.com/scrim.htm

Those tatty old villas in Devonport had scrim when we were living there.
They may have been modernised by now, but the council is so fussy about any
changes.
That could be a beautiful suburb with modern housing. But I expect the next
step will be high rise apartments.

Geopelia

"Enkidu" <cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
news:4efa508c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 27/12/11 23:08, Geopelia wrote:
>> "Enkidu"<cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
>> news:4ef94fef$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Yes, almost certainly and they will give advise on how to clean laptop
>>> screens.
>>>

>> This isn't a laptop, it's a proper monitor but flat instead of having a
>> big
>> TV tube in it.
>>
>> The print isn't as clear as the last one, it shows individual dots like a
>> TV
>> screen.
>> But it's readable.
>>

> Hmm, I presume that you don't mean a 'flat tube' CRT monitor, but a proper
> digital monitor? If so you should not be able to see the dots! I can only
> see them with a magnifying glass on my (cheap) one. A digital monitor
> should definitely be sharper than a CRT. I suggest that you ask your
> computer man next time you get him out.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Thanks, I'll ask him. I don't think there is a tube in it, it's so thin.
The letters are rather like the pictures in an old newspaper.
I've no idea what kind of monitor it is. It's a Philips 190B.